Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #101
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You're actually right about this, just not in the way that you think.

Congratulations on the worst post in the thread by far.
I agree the US would send in the army, thousands would die, a whole city would look like Mosel, it would cost billions, sympathy riots would spring up all over the US, at the end of it all though, when the cost was being counted the white establishment would do what it had to do to make sure it didn't happen again, not because it was morally right but because of the cost of massive civil unrest.

The only reason we had the rise of unions and labour representation was due to the massive civil unrest in the late 19th and early 20th century, if it wasn't for that we would still be shoving kids up chimneys
Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #102
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't think you have to depend on a top down approach. It is mostly at the municipal and State level.
And that seemed to be the way this was trending. The first post in this thread was about how it seemed likely that the officer would get a slap on the wrist. Well, he was summarily fired, without even waiting for an investigation. Good news. Then the response was, well, that's the bare minimum; he should be prosecuted. Well, as of today, the mayor is calling for precisely that. All in all looks like the riots might not have deterred the local authorities from dealing with this incident appropriately, so that's more good news. The riots gave those local authorities an opening to try to let themselves off the hook. It appears, so far at least, that they aren't taking it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #103
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the Minneapolis mayors press conference. That man wants the book thrown at the cop with his knee on the neck. Tried to sound reasonable but he was so angry he could hardly contain himself. Walked off in tears. That dude feels it. Like any human should.

" Most incidents involving police killing a person is generally a result of split second decision making usually 5 or 6 second to impact a community, THIS MAN HAD CLOSE TO 300 SECONDS TO CHANGE HIS COURSE!! 300!!"
Old 05-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #104
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Any future protests planned in Minneapolis?
Old 05-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #105
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
In Canada we only have one group of racially distinct citizens who have, for most of the countries history, been seen as an alien group that needed to be suppressed, obviously they are our indigenous population, and on the occasions our police act in a wholly inappropriate manner it still tends to be in areas and towards people they perceive as native, the main difference between the native experience in Canada and the Black experience in the states is that Canada never felt the same level of threat from natives as the States did and still does from their black population
My great-grandparents had thousands of acres of ocean front property near Vancouver taken away from them. They and my grandparents (who were children at the time) had to go to interment camps near Lethbridge and start from scratch.

There is more than one racially distinct group that has been suppressed. The Canadian government has in fact seen certain groups as "threats".
You could argue that only one racially distinct group continues to be suppressed, but lets not forget history.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #106
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight's protests turned to riots and looting. The live shots look pretty wild right now.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #107
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

20 min video, I said it above but I like this mayor. tl;dw - wants the officer charged, wants bodycam footage released ASAP, understands protests but cautions people to be careful destroying everything because there are weapons in police vehicles, but does not directly say to stop destroying stuff. I just think it's important to note that this man is doing everything in his power to have the right outcome here and if every mayor in the country felt the same way we would make a ton of progress.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #108
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

The videos coming out of Minneapolis right now are crazy
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #109
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
The videos coming out of Minneapolis right now are crazy
https://www.reddit.com/r/ThatsInsane...ire_right_now/
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:12 AM   #110
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Reminds me of the post Rodney King assault.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #111
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1265837136433106956

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #112
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If the point of protesting by rioting, smashing police cars, and the like is to "effect broad change", then the protests are misguided. The public was already quite focused on the incident and unequivocal in its condemnation of the police officers involved, who were all quickly fired, and may yet face prosecution. You have mayors, Senators and Governors calling for investigations, giving press conferences... riots distract from that unerring and uncomfortable focus on the problem.

Now people can slip back into their normal comfort zone, decry the protests, and argue on the internet with the people who are saying things like "you love to see it" and "those cops deserve it" and calling anyone who opposes rioting in the streets a racist. Standard culture war BS.

Of course, this seemed inevitable, so no one is surprised, but similarly, no one should be suggesting that maybe rioting is the ticket to changing the way people feel about this issue. And really, the responses were starting to give me the impression that this incident - for whatever reason, because it's not like there haven't been terrible incidents caught on camera before - might actually result in some substantive policy measures, at least in Minnesota, which could then have a knock-on effect. Well, we'll see if that happens, because this stuff just creates a fresh news cycle.
I know when I want to effect broad change the first thing I do is go looting at Target and snatch a vacuum cleaner and some 4K TVs.

The usual suspects defending this behaviour played the same card with the Ferguson riots in 2014. When it was pointed out that destroying property in your own community and taking attention from protesting a possible injustice was probably counter productive they didn't want to hear it. We've seen this movie before so I'd love to hear from them what broad societal change was achieved by the Ferguson riots since it was a method endorsed by them. Or maybe it wasn't violent and destructive enough and that was the true problem.

This seems from all accounts to be police brutality resulting in death and the guy should be tried for some degree of murder. People have a right to be angry and protest peacefully until they feel like justice has been served. What you do not have the right to do is riot, incur violence, and destroy property in your own community. I look forward to being called a racist for this imminently reasonable take.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #113
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Minneapolis wakes up to destruction after night of protests

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...spCeBaPUWkgFlo

Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #114
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I know when I want to effect broad change the first thing I do is go looting at Target and snatch a vacuum cleaner and some 4K TVs.

The usual suspects defending this behaviour played the same card with the Ferguson riots in 2014. When it was pointed out that destroying property in your own community and taking attention from protesting a possible injustice was probably counter productive they didn't want to hear it. We've seen this movie before so I'd love to hear from them what broad societal change was achieved by the Ferguson riots since it was a method endorsed by them. Or maybe it wasn't violent and destructive enough and that was the true problem.

This seems from all accounts to be police brutality resulting in death and the guy should be tried for some degree of murder. People have a right to be angry and protest peacefully until they feel like justice has been served. What you do not have the right to do is riot, incur violence, and destroy property in your own community. I look forward to being called a racist for this imminently reasonable take.
Maybe, just maybe, if every african-american centered protest didn't result in riot cops running people down, tear gassing, and water cannons, thing wouldn't escalate.

Why do cops in the US bring out the riot gear for people marching in the streets, but not for those storming government houses with ARs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #115
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Crazy. I feel for the business owners who are getting caught up in this madness. I know people are saying there is no other way for people to protest, but already someone has died as a result of this with that shooting. How many lives are worth the protest? How much property damage to innocent store owners and municipal buildings that end up throwing the city into further turmoil?

It's all horrible, but man I can't think that the risk of more people dying is the answer. The officers lost their jobs, they are looking into charges. I think a strong message has been sent. Let's stop this before more innocent people die.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #116
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Why do cops in the US bring out the riot gear for people marching in the streets, but not for those storming government houses with ARs?

Are these not riot cops?

Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #117
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Crazy. I feel for the business owners who are getting caught up in this madness. I know people are saying there is no other way for people to protest, but already someone has died as a result of this with that shooting. How many lives are worth the protest? How much property damage to innocent store owners and municipal buildings that end up throwing the city into further turmoil?

It's all horrible, but man I can't think that the risk of more people dying is the answer. The officers lost their jobs, they are looking into charges. I think a strong message has been sent. Let's stop this before more innocent people die.
At this point I don't feel any confidence at all that those officers will spend any time behind bars
Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #118
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

"People who are angry should be reasonable!" - someone who seems to have never truly been angry.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #119
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
At this point I don't feel any confidence at all that those officers will spend any time behind bars
America is just, done. The dream is long dead. And I feel for all people there. Every country and society has its issues. The US is a cesspool, top to bottom and the poor people of that country do not deserve it.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #120
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Are these not riot cops?

Those are unionized workers protesting “right to work” legislation eight years ago. They’re not armed and they’re not storming anything.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread