Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #3261
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Thought it would be more like the new 14 St one by the BRT which I know meets code because I worked on it.
If you're talking about the 14th Street at 90th Avenue pedestrian bridge, those ramps are probably way more expensive. Earth is cheap to move and compact, and there's already a boat load of MSE walls being built elsewhere on the ring road project.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #3262
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stoney at Scenic Acres i.e. normal.

Yeah, these ones are a lot less imposing visually mostly due to Stoney being sunk slightly in these areas and hidden from adjacent houses by an earth berm.

Acey, I know you didn't mean to intentionally portray a smaller bridge than is there but the link shows only 1/2 of the bridge, there is another identical span crossing the southbound lanes. The bridge is quite long but not awkwardly wide.

On the Tuscany side the approach to the bridge is also up a large berm which is actually is probably pretty close in height to the one in Woodbine but doesn't look so imposing.

view from Tuscany Blvd looking at the pedestrian bridge at the top of the berm (just right of the construction vehicles and power line).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.12488...7i13312!8i6656
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #3263
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Acey, I know you didn't mean to intentionally portray a smaller bridge than is there but the link shows only 1/2 of the bridge, there is another identical span crossing the southbound lanes. The bridge is quite long but not awkwardly wide.
It's not short, I just mean in reference to SW Stoney which has an abusrdly wide median for another freeway to run down the middle of it. Total distance to span I believe is more than double of this Scenic Acres bridge.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:03 PM   #3264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't they leave space for something obscene, like 16 lanes, and a train corridor?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #3265
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Didn't they leave space for something obscene, like 16 lanes, and a train corridor?
There's room for 16 total lanes, but not also a train. The train would be in lieu of the inner freeway, and is the most likely scenario for something that will go there as AB Transportation has said they never intend to build the inner freeway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #3266
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

How many people use one of those bridges on a given day anyway? It's not like it is a high foot-traffic area.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #3267
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
How many people use one of those bridges on a given day anyway? It's not like it is a high foot-traffic area.
I suspect when they realizes they go entire days without seeing anyone up there, we'll quietly not hear much about it.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #3268
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Why would they share designs showing an "exact" location with the public until they knew for sure? They're not under any obligation to set a legal precedent for these homeowners. The whole corridor can be used - so unless they said to these homeowners when they bought their properties that there would be no road infrastructure within a certain distance of their house, I'm not sure how they can act like they have control over what gets put next to their house.

When they sell their house in outrage, I'm sure the first thing they'll say in the listing will be how the ring road is a selling feature - great access to everything!
I don't disagree with your point but it does show some of the limitations of the public engagement they go through ahead of construction.

Last edited by D as in David; 05-25-2020 at 08:51 PM.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #3269
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Then they definitely have a lot less to complain about, because they don't even have the privacy issue that you mentioned if they're 100 metres north of where that ramp is. 100 metres puts them at or past the turn off to Woodbrook Mews SW.
I said I lived on Woodbrook Mews. Where the pedestrian overpass is located is at the bend of Woodbrook Road. I may be off on my estimate but I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #3270
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd call it "literally looking down upon their back yards." It's not ideal but not horrendous.
The figurative "literally".

I've been down there to look at it, the picture doesn't do it justice. The brown house is the one that gets the worst of it. As you can see, the bridge is pretty well in line with the top of the brown house. Since it is a pedestrian bridge instead of a vehicular bridge, they will be better off from a noise perspective but, IMO, they will lose a significant amount of privacy from the pedestrians walking through there.

I'm not calling for heads to roll but is it so wrong to show some empathy for fellow Calgarians who end up on the wrong end of the stick in these situations? That's all I'm doing here.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #3271
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
No, it's not but you do get foot traffic from the Tsuu T'ina land occasionally coming through there to access transit. Pretty infrequent, though.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #3272
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well it is a Transportation AND Utility corridor so room for other things like power lines, pipelines etc. have also been allowed for if it is like other sections of the ring road in Edmonton and Calgary.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #3273
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
BTW, the homeowners that are interviewed in the video segment are not the owners of these houses shown in the picture of the ramp, those owners are situated 100 metres or so to the North of the pictured ramp.
Quote:
I said I lived on Woodbrook Mews. Where the pedestrian overpass is located is at the bend of Woodbrook Road. I may be off on my estimate but I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.
I know, and I'm saying that ~100 metres north from the bend of Woodbrook Road (where the ramp is) is at or past Woodbrook Mews, so the people from the article aren't even impacted by the ramp. Google Maps has a 'calculate distance' feature.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #3274
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, it's not but you do get foot traffic from the Tsuu T'ina land occasionally coming through there to access transit. Pretty infrequent, though.
The Seven Chiefs Sportsplex is in the area, and future development plans will see further community resources added in the area, plus the overpass will link up to the north end of the retail/commercial development that is being anchored by Costco on the south end. I don't know how much foot/cycling traffic that will add to the area, but it should be an increase from today.

Quote:
Well it is a Transportation AND Utility corridor so room for other things like power lines, pipelines etc. have also been allowed for if it is like other sections of the ring road in Edmonton and Calgary.
Also, because of the challenges of negotiating with the nation, it was best to get a land deal for the theoretical maximum growth of the highway even if that day won't come in any of our lifetimes.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #3275
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The default median width for the ring roads has been 30 m, and widening has been on the median-side. There are power lines alongside the freeway for about half of Henday's TUC but never in the median. There's a whole debate now about whether or not Stoney SW's should have been scaled back to not have the massive median. They probably didn't want to run into redesign issues that might press the clock with the Tsuut'ina deal because we'd be so far beyond screwed as an entire province if the deal lapsed.

Quote:
I'm not calling for heads to roll but is it so wrong to show some empathy for fellow Calgarians who end up on the wrong end of the stick in these situations? That's all I'm doing here.
I get that. My only question is the validity of claims that this walkway was somehow built in some way different than what they were originally told.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #3276
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I know, and I'm saying that ~100 metres north from the bend of Woodbrook Road (where the ramp is) is at or past Woodbrook Mews, so the people from the article aren't even impacted by the ramp. Google Maps has a 'calculate distance' feature.
Thanks for clarifying that.

We've been talking about the pedestrian ramp but I believe the people that are in the video are complaining about the traffic ramps for Tsuut'ina Trail over the connector to Anderson Trail as, I believe, their house is one of the two near the NW corner of Woodbine (situated to the West of the Northern portion of Woodbrook Rd). IIRC, the original plan was to have Tsuut'ina Trail go beneath the WB Anderson to SB Tsuut'ina ramp thus, while being possibly at the same elevation, the auto traffic would be significantly farther West from their home.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #3277
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IIRC, the original plan was to have Tsuut'ina Trail go beneath the WB Anderson to SB Tsuut'ina ramp thus, while being possibly at the same elevation, the auto traffic would be significantly farther West from their home.
The original plan did not have a EB to NB ramp, that has since been added presumably because of Costco and whatever else is going down there, or they're just projecting higher volumes for westbound Anderson as it becomes apparent how deep people's hatred runs for 14 St. The old plans had a braided ramp that would have been a big eyesore for Cedarbrae. That crossover is now moved to west of the mainline.

Cedarbrae wins big, Woodbine loses a little.

The Anderson interchange is just weird all around. There's not really another like it on either ring road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #3278
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree with your point but it does show some of the limitations of the public engagement they go through ahead of construction.
If there’s one thing our country needs to wrap its head around is reducing significantly consultation and public engagement requirements in pretty much any and all infrastructure projects.

Public engagement and consultation in Canada has gone off the deep end ####ing crazy and we are all vastly significantly worse off for going down the very Canadian path of trying to appease every Tom, Dick and Harry when the majority of major public infrastructure projects do more for the general population then not.

We can’t build #### anymore. People- annoying people- get way too much in the way.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #3279
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting how Calgary would look without intervention from the original plans of the 50s and 60s.

14 St W, Anderson Road, 16 Ave N would be freeways. Deerfoot would have decimated Inglewood and run through Fish Creek. Bow Trail a freeway. I'd like to think the happy median lies somewhere in the middle.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #3280
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of off topic - Do any of you find that the surface of Stoney is rather bumpy? May be it is the kind of asphalt being paved, I found that my steering wheel was really shaking when I was driving through the Beddington Trail - Country Hills portion in the NW. I know it is not my car, because I was going through Sarcee in the South and with the same speed and the shaking did not happen....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote