Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #2141
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Into the breach is the exact type of game I'd love. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available in the usual spots online. Know where I can pick up the game at?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
For Switch ? Just download it from the online store
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #2142
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
What games you guys playing
We finished Luigi's Mansion a few weeks ago, and that was a lot of fun. A good play & watch game. Not overly complicated but it is nice looking and flows nicely.

Other games in rotation are Mario Kart, Animal Crossing lately (although none of us have really been hooked), I still enjoy Breath of the Wild on occasion even though I finished it a while back. Link's Awakening was fun but pretty basic, but a good throwback to the old days of Zelda.

We have started a weekly game night with another couple after everyone's kids are in bed and we've actually been playing Overcooked 2, which is fun but infuriating. And then a few rounds of Mario Kart.

Surprisingly we have recently decided to re-start Mario Odyssey after finishing it a couple of years ago. I like the music and the game is better looking and funner than I remember the first time around.

Super Mario U and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are both perfectly fine re-issues, but nothing new or groundbreaking. I can't say that they get a lot of play.

Wife plays Tetris 99 the most. I like myself a game of FIFA 20 on occasion to get my soccer fix. Mario Party is a good standby for a group game, but it obviously needs 3 or 4 people to be really fun. It has a small online option, but with a very limited number of mini games.

A game that is arguably really good that I just can't get into is Super Smash Brothers. Just not my genre.

As you can see, I'm not a super hardcore gamer or anything, and I do enjoy the Nintendo-style titles. My wife and I actually play the Switch more than our kid does.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #2143
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you’re new to Switch and in to the more casual / multiplayer side of things, may I present Clubhouse Games.

Out June 5th for $50. Gonna be good!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 10:13 PM   #2144
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly keep forgetting that the Switch has a touchscreen. I have never used it for anything. I guess it would come in handy for some board games.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #2145
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Super Mega Baseball 3 is now available.
Rjcsjc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #2146
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo just dropped this out of nowhere this morning, looks great!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #2147
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I suspect that was supposed to be in the June E3 direct, but with everything delayed, they felt the need to satisfy the thirsty masses. Probably a good idea, since they don't want to lose the momentum ACNH and the pandemic have created. Also, it does look great! Especially since it doesn't seem to have that horrid card battle system Color Splash did.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #2148
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjcsjc62 View Post
Super Mega Baseball 3 is now available.
I'm so torn on this. Sports games simply don't hold my interest, but it also looks so good...
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #2149
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

After how bad Sticker Star and Color Splash were, I'm still going to wait to see reviews before actually getting excited about a new Paper Mario, but this does look like an improvement.

The Partners look as boring as ever, but at least there are partners?

I'm not convinced about the rotating battle system either.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #2150
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

NM didn't read the thread.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #2151
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just finished BotW and while I'm super late to the party on this, was super impressed and would consider it the best Switch game and best tower-based open-world game. Pretty much flawless and inspired in every aspect of design, the only fault I have really with it was it being a little too easy, I never had any incentive to discover and use character buffs and beat most of the bosses on the first attempt. This makes it feel less immersive and satisfying, but Nintendo makes games for everyone and it's supposed to be a light, breezy game, so it's really just my preference not being met than being an actual flaw with this game that I would otherwise give a perfect score to. 9.7/10
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #2152
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Just finished BotW and while I'm super late to the party on this, was super impressed and would consider it the best Switch game and best tower-based open-world game. Pretty much flawless and inspired in every aspect of design, the only fault I have really with it was it being a little too easy, I never had any incentive to discover and use character buffs and beat most of the bosses on the first attempt. This makes it feel less immersive and satisfying, but Nintendo makes games for everyone and it's supposed to be a light, breezy game, so it's really just my preference not being met than being an actual flaw with this game that I would otherwise give a perfect score to. 9.7/10
With DLC there is a master mode that you can play in where enemies become more numerous and much tougher. Might be for you.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #2153
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Clubhouse Games (a new version of the DS classic) is out today, and it looks pretty great.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's the video!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
If you’re new to Switch and in to the more casual / multiplayer side of things, may I present Clubhouse Games.

Out June 5th for $50. Gonna be good!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #2154
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't had a chance to play much of 51 Clubhouse Games yet, but there is one major limitation: most games are limited to 2 players. I get it with the card games and things like chess, but why bowling and golf?

So of the 51, only 2 games support 4 local players, and only 3 games support 3 local players. And because of that, you can't have two players on the same console playing online together with others.

I wasn't expecting Mario Party or anything, but it does seem to be a bit unnecessarily crippled.

That being said, it does look fun for single player vs. CPU, single player online, or two player local.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #2155
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just picked up Xenoblade Chronicles: DE and I'm upset with myself that I'm only just now learning about this series.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #2156
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Just picked up Xenoblade Chronicles: DE and I'm upset with myself that I'm only just now learning about this series.
This one is the only good one, IMO. X has one of the weirdest and most confusing design structures I’ve ever seen, and 2 is just mostly a mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #2157
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I played the original on Wii. hated the sidequests and generally felt I put too much time into meaningless exploration, but I really enjoyed the art direction and the story. The pacing in the second half is a bit messy but the plot twists are great.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #2158
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also picked up Xenoblade DE, really enjoying it so far.

IMO you can really feel the influence that game had on the Breath of the Wild art direction and character movement.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #2159
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii as well, and it was my favourite RPG of that generation. I loved the open world exploration at the time. It felt so satisfying that you can actually run off a cliff, or jump onto things, rather than have some invisible barrier in your way.

I agree, the sidequests are annoying, but the DE on Switch improves it with markers. I do find the game as too many sidequests, in addition to too many needless items. They went way overboard with the armour, weapons, accessories, etc. But it's still a very fun game. I'm glad to be owning a legit version of the game now instead of needing to download it on the Wii back in the day because of how they messed up the North American release.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #2160
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a quick shoutout to Elliot Quest on the Switch eshop - it’s a great little 2D action-adventure game, like a side scrolling old school Zelda. And it’s on sale for the ridiculous low price of $0.12! You might not even bend over to pick up that much money if your dropped it. So check out this cool game!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...-quest-switch/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: