Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #21
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Kudos to them on identifying the talent, but I do wonder how it slipped through the cracks that he was never interested in signing with any team other than the Rangers and would be totally willing to go the college UFA route to do so.

Maybe they knew something. But it was still a great pick for the value they received for that pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #22
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It definitely stings less knowing that the Flames were able to get Lindholm and Hanifin who are 2 core players and 2 of the teams best contracts in part for the Fox deal. It was pretty clear the only other option would be getting the 2 2nds the Hurricanes got for him (which may be the only assets they still have from that deal if Dougie walks this summer)
Hanifan isn't a core player. He was supposed to be. Now he is just an average top 4 defenseman with draft pedigree and a bit of upside. Lindholm is for sure for us. Dougie and fox are both arguably worth more to their teams though. Was still a pretty darn good trade but I feel like Hamilton is the kind of Dman that can win your team a cup. Has a team traded so much defensive talent in one trade since Pronger?
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #23
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
I've seen that comment a few times. Perhaps by his Norris-level standards his season wasn't great, but it was still a damn good season and the nomination is legit.

Hamilton, Letang, and Theodore all had very good season as well and could have been nominated.

I think Fox should win though.

No one actually gets nominated. After the vote, they announce the top 3 to keep the suspense going. Fox was no more “nominated” than Gio.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #24
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I hope the next time the rangers are in town our team physically punishes Fox.

When was the last time the Flames physically punished anyone?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #25
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF - Adam F'n Fox - the one we traded away as spare change? LOL, that's gotta hurt!

Makar's gonna win anyway, but still, the Adam Fox we had as a prospect...
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #26
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This one should 100% go to Adam Fox, but it'll be interesting to see if the voters penalize him for not being named Victor Hedman.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just going to leave this here before the "Fox was a throw-in" and "Flames should have done more to sign him" narrative starts again.

Quote:

ESPN: You had a fascinating path to the Rangers. Players rarely get a chance to work the system. Usually, the system works you guys. But Calgary drafts you, they trade you to Carolina, and you end up with the team you really wanted to play for. How on earth did you make that happen as a college free-agent type?

Fox: "Working the system" is one way to say it. I mean, I personally didn't feel I was ready to make that jump. I know a lot of people can go to the [AHL] at a young age, but I went to Harvard for a reason. Getting far enough along for my degree was important to me. Obviously, it was a dream to play for the Rangers, but it was also an opportunity for me to go and play there and be part of a future with young guys. Being from there is the cherry on top.

ESPN: Carolina acquired you from Calgary in the Dougie Hamilton trade. At the time, GM Don Waddell said he was "99.9%" sure you'd end up with the Hurricanes. I've spoken to Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon a bit. He's an excellent salesman. Was there ever a time when you were almost convinced to give the Hurricanes a chance?

Fox: I don't know. They were good to me. I can't help but only say positive things about Carolina. But for me ... I had an opportunity to fulfill a dream that I had. You don't get many opportunities to make a choice like that. It was my goal to do that, and had the opportunity to go with that. And it worked out.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...hl-journey-far
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #28
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Screw Adam Fox
Exactly. I hope his game totally falls off a cliff and he never gets a sniff of any award again. F that guy and his entitled BS.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #29
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, absolutely shocked Darnell Nurse didn’t get the nod.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #30
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton media was leaking Nurse as a finalist yesterday lol
Old 06-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #31
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Screw Adam Fox
Yup.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Edmonton media was leaking Nurse as a finalist yesterday lol
MAYBE a #2 caliber d-man and think he's a Norris finalist. You can tell Edmonton hasn't seen any defensive talent firsthand before.

Also too bad I couldn't use my "Dude, Where's Makar?" joke.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Hanifan isn't a core player. He was supposed to be. Now he is just an average top 4 defenseman with draft pedigree and a bit of upside. Lindholm is for sure for us. Dougie and fox are both arguably worth more to their teams though. Was still a pretty darn good trade but I feel like Hamilton is the kind of Dman that can win your team a cup. Has a team traded so much defensive talent in one trade since Pronger?
Hamilton is a UFA and it sounds like he might walk...Hanifin is the same age as the likely Calder winner.

Fox didn't sign with Carolina either
Old 06-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #34
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

As for Fox, that's just the way it goes sometimes. Who knows, maybe there were other teams ready to take him before us, but didn't because they didn't think he would sign.

Makar coming home to Calgary would be pretty sweet but I can't recall anyone noteworthy ever having done that...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one actually gets nominated. After the vote, they announce the top 3 to keep the suspense going. Fox was no more “nominated” than Gio.

Yeah, I hate the "finalists" language. No doubt Barrie has some Norris votes from one locality. Which also makes the Hedman outrage funny at this point as well - for all we know he came in third, with no first place votes.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #36
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Disagree or not, I think the order will finish:
1. Hedman
2. Fox
3. Makar
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #37
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I'm glad Fox got nominated. Speaks volumes of the Flames' scouting staff to find a Norris contender in the 3rd round. Excellent job by scouting. Just pray next time the guy they pick actually wants to stick around.

As mentioned, I don't fault Fox for exploiting a loophole to live his dream. Him and his agent squirmed their way around the league until he landed his dream gig with NY. Now he gets nominated for a major award, and is going to get a massive payday by a team that hands out major contracts like candy. I don't fault anybody on this planet who finds a way to make their dreams come true and gets to cash in like that.

Maybe next time the Flames organization shouldn't suck so much for 30+ years, do a better job of building contender, and build themselves up to be a desirable destination. Than maybe players would actually want to stick around.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #39
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Not at the time of the trade they weren't. You can't just say how much Hamilton and Fox are worth now and say they are better than Lindholm and Hanifin, hence Flames lost the trade. I mean, by that standard, you can argue Hamilton is worth way less because he's now UFA. Fox only started making a big impact this year, after we've had 3 years of Lindholm and Hanifin.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #40
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Exactly. I hope his game totally falls off a cliff and he never gets a sniff of any award again. F that guy and his entitled BS.
I assume you chose where you want to work, I know I do.

I don't feel entitled, do you?

He did what he wanted within the system. If he had gone back to college for his 4th year, it would have cost him money in the long run. He, in fact, was willing to sacrifice money to work for the employer of his choice.