Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 05-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
People have this ridiculous idea that Vegas was handed a playoff team when in reality it was idiot GM's who gave them top 6 players and high draft picks to not select botton 6 players, it was bizarre. Florida gave them 2/3 of a top line for nothing, just ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with the expansion rules.
Even that team on paper should not have been as competitive as they are. Fla was dumb, but even that 2/3 top line shouldn’t have been top line quality. It isn’t a top line any more - it’s their second line. Perron seemed like a declining player. Haula went from a 10-15 goal guy to 29 for some reason. Their D didn’t look great. They just gelled quickly, played a good style for their players, got Fleury, and I think the Vegas flu caught a lot of their opponents.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #22
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Avs in 5.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a powerhouse series this is. This and the Canes/Lightning series should be fantastic.

I will go with the Avs but won't be surprised at all if Vegas takes it.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #24
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

For 17 years we were in the same division as the Avs and we hate the brand spanking new baby Knights more? FOH. Knights in 5 and the Avs can go cry on Altitude with Vic Lombardi.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
For 17 years we were in the same division as the Avs and we hate the brand spanking new baby Knights more? FOH. Knights in 5 and the Avs can go cry on Altitude with Vic Lombardi.
My wife likes Vegas as her second team, because she likes the city. As good a reason as any I guess, which means I should also like Vegas. Also Nashville, the Rangers, Boston, AZ, LA and Chicago.

And I can continue to hate Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto. But I will be pretty conflicted on Ottawa, Vancouver and Montreal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #26
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe their success is tied to how ####ty our division has been?
Old 05-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #27
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
People have this ridiculous idea that Vegas was handed a playoff team when in reality it was idiot GM's who gave them top 6 players and high draft picks to not select botton 6 players, it was bizarre. Florida gave them 2/3 of a top line for nothing, just ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with the expansion rules.
Aeneas and I are debating this - for sure, LV made some shrewd trades and picks and other GMs made big mistakes, but I would argue they had some significant advantages - they had no expansion partner to compete with for picks and trades (ex. Minny and Columbus entered at the same time). They were the first expansion team to enter when the other teams had to manage a salary cap (which could explain "bad" trades some GMs made). LV is an attractive destination for free agents.

The rules will be the same for Seattle (BTW, Vegas is exempt from getting picked by Seattle. Vegas wins again).

Of course people are jealous - they are a contender right out of the box, while long-standing franchises have struggled for decades. It is fair to wonder if the expansion rules are too generous (Seattle has #3 seed in draft lottery). Sure, they pay a large fee for entry ($500 M)- but Forbes valued the Knights at $570 M in December.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...cess-1.4668055

Quote:
The NHL allowed its teams to protect only seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie, or eight skaters and one goalie. By way of comparison, when the NHL last expanded in 2000, teams were allowed to protect a whopping nine forwards, five defencemen and a goalie, or seven forwards, three defencemen and two goalies.

The league also required teams to expose players with significant NHL experience who were under contract through next season, closing loopholes and helping Vegas even more. Third-line forwards and top-four defencemen were available from almost every team.

And the expansion draft terms allowed McPhee to get creative in trades with teams hoping to keep players who couldn't fit under the protection umbrella. For instance, the Knights ended up with Reilly Smith in a trade because Florida wanted them to draft Jonathan Marchessault — and the two ex-Panthers became two of the Knights' top four scorers.

Last edited by troutman; 05-30-2021 at 06:34 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #28
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It is fair to wonder if the expansion rules are too generous (Seattle has #3 seed in draft lottery). Sure, they pay a large fee for entry ($500 M)- but Forbes valued the Knights at $570 M in December.
Seattle is paying $650 M in expansion fees. It could be said that they have paid outright for the "advantages" that they will benefit from.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #29
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Seattle is paying $650 M in expansion fees. It could be said that they have paid outright for the "advantages" that they will benefit from.
The advantage is entry to the exclusive club. Franchise value will surpass the expansion fee before long.

https://law.marquette.edu/assets/spo...eport.2019.pdf

From 2000 to 2018, the average franchise value increased from $148 M to $630 M.

Last edited by troutman; 05-30-2021 at 06:22 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #30
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The advantage is entry to the exclusive club. Franchise value will surpass the expansion fee before long.
I agree that the value will rise but I think that having the #3 seed is an advantage that they paid $150 M to have. I don't see them as having any sort of unfair competitive advantage.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #31
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well back in the day when the Flames never made the playoffs many of us had an adoptive team to cheer for in the playoffs.

I liked Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy so naturally I was an Avs fan.

Some of the best hockey I’ve ever watched is Avs series’ vs Detroit and/or Dallas.

Those 3 teams dominated the Western conference throughout the late 90’s and early 00’s and it was epic battles between them.

The series we recently had against them made me like them less but in general it’s still a place where Iggy, Tanguay and Fluery played - some of my favourite Flames players.

Plus I hate Vegas with a passion, whether it’s right or wrong is debatable but I hate them nonetheless.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:54 AM   #32
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

That’s fine everyone has their reasons. I can remember the Avs making the Flames bite the curb and stomping on the back of their heads very recently, can’t say the same about the Knights.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #33
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Avs in 5
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #34
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ryan Reaves should have gotten a major for ramming Suter's head into the goalpost last night. Player safety should be reviewing that one.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:20 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
$500M should get you a Competitive team. Also they weren't handed it they made some shrewd picks and deals that got them to that next level.

Better get used to it because I have a feeling Seattle is going to be pretty good in a hurry, maybe not right out of the gate but soon enough.
This is the other thing, remember what markets we're talking about. They're not going to sit on their hands for a decade like prior expansion era teams and they've paid for the privilege to not have to.

Quote:
Well, not entirely, there were shrewd moves made, but again the rules were altered to allow these advantages.

Good coaching and efficient management made a big difference as well because they saw those opportunities and exploited the hell out of them.

But if Seattle were to go out and hire Kevin Lowe and Dallas Eakins they could be just as good as the Oilers were a few years ago.

Which is to say....pretty damned bad. Awful actually. Entirely No Good.

So I think it doesnt give Vegas enough credit. They got some breaks and we're dealt a really good hand and betted big on it.

Quote:
Quote:
Aeneas and I are debating this - for sure, LV made some shrewd trades and picks and other GMs made big mistakes, but I would argue they had some significant advantages - they had no expansion partner to compete with for picks and trades (ex. Minny and Columbus entered at the same time). They were the first expansion team to enter when the other teams had to manage a salary cap (which could explain "bad" trades some GMs made). LV is an attractive destination for free agents.

The rules will be the same for Seattle (BTW, Vegas is exempt from getting picked by Seattle).

Of course people are jealous - they are a contender right out of the box, while long-standing franchises have struggled for decades. It is fair to wonder if the expansion rules are too generous (Seattle has #3 seed in draft lottery). Sure, they pay a large fee for entry ($500 M)- but Forbes valued the Knights at $570 M in December.
Quote:
That’s fine everyone has their reasons. I can remember the Avs making the Flames bite the curb and stomping on the back of their heads very recently, can’t say the same about the Knights.
You sir...look here...some of us have worked long and hard to eliminate those memories and here you go just all willy-nilly throwing them back in our faces.

I can acknowledge that the Avalanche are an excellent hockey team...and yet hate them with a passion none-the-less!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #36
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just envious of Vegas.

F them, their fans deserve to experience years of disappointment just like the rest of us.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #37
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really dislike the Avs because of how badly they embarrassed the Flames a few years ago in the playoffs. But then I like Mackinnon because he's my answer when people talk about McDavid. I don't see Vegas beating Avs in a 7-game series... Avs in 6?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #38
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm just happy people are typing "Avs" instead of "Aves".
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I'm just envious of Vegas.

F them, their fans deserve to experience years of disappointment just like the rest of us.
Hopefully when that disappointment comes, as it inevitably will due to the cyclical nature of sports, it will be crushing and long-lasting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I don't harbour any strong feelings toward either team, but I am absolutely stoked to watch Nate MacKinnon continue his streak of playoff dominance. 15G and 34pts in his last 19 playoff games dating back to 2020.

MacKinnon is everything McDavid is not.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: