Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2021, 12:14 AM   #221
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel that giving up Backlund for nothing is significantly hurting the Flames. It is like throwing out the baby along with the bathwater.

Flames are not a rebuilding team. They are in a win-now stage. Backlund provides the other lines with more opportunity to score. Playing a line down with a revolving door of linemates this year didn't make him skip a beat. Put up what he always puts up.

Once again, nobody on this team is capable of doing what he does. Lindholm slowed down offensively trying to do what Backlund does when that idiot Ward decided to move Backlund to the wing.

Backlund has a LONG list of players now that he has made better. Maybe Tkachuk is missing Backlund too. Sure seemed like Nordstrom was way more effective 5on5 with Backlund. Lucic was good with Bennett I thought, but I think he is even better with Backlund.

There is not another centre on this team that you can put any winger with that Backlund doesn't improve. He does this while playing tough minutes, from the defensive zone, and with the being tasked with stopping the best players from scoring.

Sure, but go ahead and point out that he couldn't stop the NHL's best player in MacKinnon. I would still bet MacKinnon's numbers against Calgary are less when Backlund is on the ice. Same goes for McDavid too.

Backlund is a player who consistently makes his linemates better (doesn't matter who they are - maybe Neal was the one single exception?), provides a high-degree of defensive play, and is most certainly a consistent scorer regardless of line-mates. He is by far the fastest centre too.

I just don't get it. Yes, the Flames better hope that Seattle selects this hideous negative value contract off their hands.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 12:27 AM   #222
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
As an example Charlie Coyle makes the same as Backlund for 5 years after this one and Backlund has outperformed him every year.
Yep, who are these FA's better than Baklund willing to come to Calgary for less money than Backlund?
Old 06-08-2021, 12:43 AM   #223
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
As an example Charlie Coyle makes the same as Backlund for 5 years after this one and Backlund has outperformed him every year.
I hate to say but he actually outproduced him not outperformed. For a series like Flames-Avs in 2019 I'd take Coyle to my team 10 times out of 10.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:13 AM   #224
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Coyle was atrocious in Boston this year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:49 AM   #225
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I do feel that Backlund needs to be a player shipped out to change the poising that this roster has in underperforming.

If him going out either clears up cap space, and/or brings in a forward that's younger that can preform just as well, if not better, it helps the Flames get better.

So, trade Backlund for someone younger, better and cheaper.

Sign me up. In fact, let’s employ that strategy across the board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #226
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
I hate to say but he actually outproduced him not outperformed. For a series like Flames-Avs in 2019 I'd take Coyle to my team 10 times out of 10.
Coyle has 3 points in 10 PO games this year, and he has a -5 (highest on the team). You can’t tell me Backlund wouldn’t have done more, sheltered behind Bergeron and Krejci.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #227
Spike Man
Draft Pick

The more I watch Mangiapane the more he reminds me of Marchand without the periodic psychotic episodes. The tenacity, vision, hands all seem very similar. IMO in order to be successful in the NHL you have to take contract risks on certain players by paying more than they appear to be worth hoping they eventually exceed their contract value. I would sign Mangiapane for as long as I could at anything close to 5 as I think he will greatly outplay that number. If you wait until he proves it, he will then be looking for 6-7 and you no longer have a team friendly deal.

It is a risky strategy but when you aren't blessed with top 5 draft picks you have to make a few good bets like this or you remain middle of the pack forever.
Spike Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #228
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't seen this posted here so:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1402733476101582848

https://twitter.com/user/status/1402734518167957504

"I'd be very open, I love the city, love the locker room, managements great. Calgary's my 2nd home so I'd be definitely interested in signing a long term deal."
"If the money's right and contract, and you know situation and doing all that the business side of it, but me personally just the whole all of Calgary's just been great to me, so I'd love to sign longer and stay there longer.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-09-2021 at 08:39 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #229
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

"I'd be very open, I love the city, love the locker room, managements great. Calgary's my 2nd home so I'd be definitely interested in signing a long term deal."
"If the money's right and contract, and you know situation and doing all that the business side of it, but me personally just the whole all of Calgary's just been great to me, so I'd love to sign longer and stay there longer.
Has a player in this situation ever not said this?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #230
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Well....yeah.

But that has to work both ways.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #231
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

If the Flames offer Andrew Mangiapane similar money to what Rasmus Anderson is getting and even just 4 years, I don't know how he would say no to that. Even 4x 4, that's $16M!
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #232
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Has a player in this situation ever not said this?
Ever not said what? "I would love to sign longer"?

For many players that age, yes. Prove-me bridge deals are often sought. Probably more often than not for non-star players.

If the Flames aren't stupid, they want to sign a long term deal. Mangiapane wants a long term deal.
Barring failures by both parties, it looks like it will in fact be a long term deal.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #233
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
If the Flames offer Andrew Mangiapane similar money to what Rasmus Anderson is getting and even just 4 years, I don't know how he would say no to that. Even 4x 4, that's $16M!
it would be easy to say no to that if you think you're worth 5+, or soon will be.

especially when you were slapped around on an earlier contract when you had no leverage.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #234
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I think that's a reasonable landing spot but there's very little motivation for Mangiapane to sign a deal like that one year early. I'm sure he's confident in his ability to improve on last year so all this does is hedge against a potential career threatening injury he might incur this year. While a 4x$4 seems fair to me, IMO that's not enough incentive for him to lock in early. His leverage should only improve with time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #235
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think that's a reasonable landing spot but there's very little motivation for Mangiapane to sign a deal like that one year early. I'm sure he's confident in his ability to improve on last year so all this does is hedge against a potential career threatening injury he might incur this year. While a 4x$4 seems fair to me, IMO that's not enough incentive for him to lock in early. His leverage should only improve with time.
I’d for sure wait until at least mid season. Don’t want to negotiate off of the WC high. But maybe if the team is doing well, that’s the time to strike.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #236
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Good interview with Mangiapane on NHL Network radio this morning. Mike Johnson said "I cant overstate how the team turned around as soon as he got in the lineup. He was THE reason Canada won the tournament."
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #237
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn't Gallant himself say that Mangiapane was the difference? Eat Bread is amazing. Sign him long term now, please.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #238
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If he was signing that contract this summer, that makes sense.

If Mangiapane comes in this year and puts up the numbers I think he will, he'll end up closer to that $6M mark.

I think he'll pop-off for 30G this season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #239
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

bring in Adam Henrique and play him with Mang
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #240
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Ever not said what? "I would love to sign longer"?

For many players that age, yes. Prove-me bridge deals are often sought. Probably more often than not for non-star players.

If the Flames aren't stupid, they want to sign a long term deal. Mangiapane wants a long term deal.
Barring failures by both parties, it looks like it will in fact be a long term deal.
He was talking about the below quote from your post, and he's right. It's the same quote from a thousand players before him and a thousand players after him. Those types of words have no bearing on anything or else 95% of players would be happy to re-sign in their current city.

Quote:
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote