Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #181
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
Is everyone forgetting that Chicago added Kane in the playoffs after he came back from a broken collar bone in 2015... thats $10.5M that resulted in a cup win...
I remember and it was BS as well.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #182
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Kane still played 61 games that year. 3/4 of his AAV counted against the cap. And it was actually his last year on a 6.3M deal. CHI was able to add a few more depth players at TDL...not really the same at all
I agree with this that Kane was similar but very different. With Kucherov not playing any regular season games they are way above the salary cap now if it applied in the playoffs. The only solution I see is to have something in place that allows Kucherov to return but force Tampa having to sit players to make up that salary. I still think if a player is healthy and under contract they should be allowed to play, especially in the playoffs.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #183
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
I agree with this that Kane was similar but very different. With Kucherov not playing any regular season games they are way above the salary cap now if it applied in the playoffs. The only solution I see is to have something in place that allows Kucherov to return but force Tampa having to sit players to make up that salary. I still think if a player is healthy and under contract they should be allowed to play, especially in the playoffs.
Kane may have been worse because he arguably put them in a position while playing to ensure they were going to make the POs, then he gets injured (legit) but they had no concerns about missing and could add salary with impunity. TB had to run the risk of playing the entire season absent their MVP player.

The question I suppose is only when he could have come back, and what players they acquired with his cap space.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #184
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like the Lightning have unearthed some blueprint to winning in the playoffs. You can argue that the Lightning are unique in that the majority of teams missing their best forward for the entire regular season may miss the playoffs entirely. To the credit of that organization they built a roster so deep with talent that they could still cruise to home ice in the playoffs without that player. What happened to them this season isn't something that could be easily replicated by any other team so I don't think we have to worry about this being a big issue going forward.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #185
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's not like the Lightning have unearthed some blueprint to winning in the playoffs. You can argue that the Lightning are unique in that the majority of teams missing their best forward for the entire regular season may miss the playoffs entirely. To the credit of that organization they built a roster so deep with talent that they could still cruise to home ice in the playoffs without that player. What happened to them this season isn't something that could be easily replicated by any other team so I don't think we have to worry about this being a big issue going forward.
This. We gotta remember that it all started with a serious injury to Tampa's top forward. That's not going to be something teams are looking to replicate.

The situation also required a shortened season for things to play put like this.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #186
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurricane season is over.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #187
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They were able to maintain a team with that much depth because they had Kucherov on LTIR for the entire season in a manner that is suspect at least. If you take that away the team is forced to make some really hard decisions on who they have to get rid of. It is interesting that the Blackhawks are being brought up because they had to get rid of a large number of players due to the cap and maintaining compliance. Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, Teravainen and Niemi all had to be traded for cap compliance reasons at some point or another... if you didn't have to pay for Kane's salary for the season and just have him in the playoff they would still make it and be able to afford that depth.

Obviously strong management gets them to that point but the bending of the rules significantly allows them to stay at that point.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #188
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder how Carolina players feel about your viewpoint, I am sure they would like an extra 18 million so that both teams are on even footing, let's just tell Florida and Carolina, that this is not a big issue going forward
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #189
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
I wonder how Carolina players feel about your viewpoint, I am sure they would like an extra 18 million so that both teams are on even footing, let's just tell Florida and Carolina, that this is not a big issue going forward
Dougie:
Quote:
"We had a great season. We lost to a team that's $18 million over the cap or whatever they are," Hamilton said during exit interviews with the media. "I feel like we played them pretty close."
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #190
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dougie’s great.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote