Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #81
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

The 23 count is including Kristen Beaton's unborn baby. They were killed on her way to work in home care as a CCA for seniors in the area.

Elementary school teacher Lisa McCully was murdered at home while her two little girls hid in a closet upstairs.

Volunteer firefighter Tom Bagley was gunned down as he ran to help a neighbour because he heard explosions at their house.

The stories coming out are each unbearable and yet they seem to just keep coming.

Last edited by Save Us Sutter; 04-21-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Save Us Sutter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #82
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm on my phone and unfortunately don't know how to attach links but I've seen on Facebook two different instances of RCMP officers bringing in two different dogs that were shot to the vets and the vets being able to save them. I also believe both vets have covered all costs.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #83
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Us Sutter View Post
The 23 count is including Kristen Beaton's unborn baby. They were killed on her way to work in home care as a CCA for seniors in the area.

Elementary school teacher Lisa McCully was murdered at home while her two little girls hid in a closet upstairs.

Volunteer firefighter Tom Bagley was gunned down as he ran to help a neighbour because he heard explosions at their house.

The stories coming out are each unbearable and yet they seem to just keep coming.
Puts hiking trails bring closed in appropriate perspective.

Take care of you and all those you can. I can't imagine the profound sadness you must all feel. We mourn for you, and with you - as much as we are able.
Please take care and be well.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #84
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the news tonight i'm super pissed the RCMP never issued out an Amber type alert. considering it went on for 9 hours someone needs to go to jail for this.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #85
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well an amber alert is for an abducted child, but I know what you mean, it's head scratching why an emergency alert wasn't prompted on everyone's cell phones.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #86
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first few hours it’s always the same thing, he seemed like a normal guy, nobody could have imagined this, but little by little the stories are coming out, maybe a lot of red flags that all add up now.

The husband whose pregnant wife was murdered said he’s extremely upset the cell phone alert system was not used. A lot of people would not be aware of checking Twitter. I think that’s a huge fail and should be investigated at some point.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #87
MikeYYC
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
The body count has unfortunately increased to 23.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...id=mailsignout
Edited: Miscalculated totals.

Last edited by MikeYYC; 04-21-2020 at 08:27 PM.
MikeYYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #88
MikeYYC
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
The first few hours it’s always the same thing, he seemed like a normal guy, nobody could have imagined this, but little by little the stories are coming out, maybe a lot of red flags that all add up now.

The husband whose pregnant wife was murdered said he’s extremely upset the cell phone alert system was not used. A lot of people would not be aware of checking Twitter. I think that’s a huge fail and should be investigated at some point.
Especially with the demographic in rural NS, and remoteness of some properties.
MikeYYC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeYYC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #89
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
He was apparently the author of this piece. Seems like that should have set off a few alarm bells. Seriously, who locks a police car in a primarily empty parking lot and acts like this?

http://www.frankmagazine.org/post/car-54-where-are-you
Well it's Frank magazine. So I wouldn't assume at all that it's true. It's like quoting the Beaverton or the Onion. I know people do it all the time and I'm not sure if they don't know or they are reposting it as a joke.

But FWIW, if it was true, the photos just showed a grey sedan, not a cop car.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #90
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Well an amber alert is for an abducted child, but I know what you mean, it's head scratching why an emergency alert wasn't prompted on everyone's cell phones.
I wondered that as well. They do amber alerts all the time, as we all know from the threads complaining about it. The only thing I can think of (assuming more details don't come out) is that they didn't want to issue an emergency alert effectively saying to beware of an RCMP vehicle/officer.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #91
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
Well it's Frank magazine. So I wouldn't assume at all that it's true. It's like quoting the Beaverton or the Onion. I know people do it all the time and I'm not sure if they don't know or they are reposting it as a joke.

But FWIW, if it was true, the photos just showed a grey sedan, not a cop car.
Did you even read it or just look at the pictures? Also have you never seen an unmarked police cruiser?

Last edited by greyshep; 04-21-2020 at 09:16 PM.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #92
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of the problem with them deciding to fire off a cell phone alert is could be that he was impersonating a police officer, and that’s hard to communicate that because then no one will know the real police trying to protect them.

And not familiar enough with that emergency system and how it works, is it tower based? Regional based? If that alert is not specific enough, or NS isn’t large enough to have it be that specific, and the alert goes out to Truro and even Halifax, again, saying there is a person out there impersonating a cop out that is shooting people, it could cause chaos in cities.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #93
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No alerts is completely unacceptable . I hate to cast stones at the RCMP at a time like this or politicize at a all but we need to know who was responsible for alerts and I don’t think criminal charges are too extreme. My phone can go off half the night with Covid19 alerts, I would think an active shooter looking like an authentic RCMP officer would merit a mention.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #94
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Part of the problem with them deciding to fire off a cell phone alert is could be that he was impersonating a police officer, and that’s hard to communicate that because then no one will know the real police trying to protect them.

And not familiar enough with that emergency system and how it works, is it tower based? Regional based? If that alert is not specific enough, or NS isn’t large enough to have it be that specific, and the alert goes out to Truro and even Halifax, again, saying there is a person out there impersonating a cop out that is shooting people, it could cause chaos in cities.
I could understand if due to technical issues, and being unable to be specific enough of the threat that they would be hesitant in issuing an alert, but they gotta do an emergency broadcast telling people to stay in shelter due to active shooter. They were posting updates on social media after all, so no excuse why they didn't give a public broadcast alert of some manner.

This is a really big #### up on the alert system here. A fair amount of lives may have been lost due to it's inactivity.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #95
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

They put out warnings on Twitter lol.

They should have made a Tik Tok video while they were at it.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #96
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People head hunting for the warnings need to step back. Some people get so vengeful on here with cases. Fighting fire with fire isn't the answer.

What they can do is learn from the ineffective use of warnings and do it the right way in the future, make sure the system in place will reach as many people effected as possible. That's the best way to answer for this.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still don't think that this was a revenge thing, or even a rage thing. This was meticulous and planned by what I've read, he was building up to this for a while and putting pieces in place, and probably he saw the opportunity with the virus.

At the end of the day, this was more about making a point.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #98
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And all the pieces fell into place, everyone staying home. I agree, but obviously don’t know.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #99
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still don't think that this was a revenge thing, or even a rage thing. This was meticulous and planned by what I've read, he was building up to this for a while and putting pieces in place, and probably he saw the opportunity with the virus.

At the end of the day, this was more about making a point.
Hey help me out here. What exactly was the point?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:34 AM   #100
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This feels ideological to me for some reason.

It fell on the date of the Oklahoma bombings, and it mirrored a lot of aspects of the Norway Massacre back in I think 2011. Both act perpetrated by far Right wing ideological reasons.

Now I'm not saying its a right vs left extreme act yet we don't know. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they're going to find some interesting things on his computer, unless of course he scrubbed it.

There didn't feel like there was a lot of spontaneity to it, he planned this, he gathered what he needed, and it feels like he was waiting, and the opportunity hit.

There was a point being made.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote