Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #41
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
I don’t call them candy bars, but by your definition you should.

Milk chocolate has more sugar than chocolate, which would technically be a sugar base.
I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm sure there's definitions and food science that I simply don't know.

That said according to WikiHow (a scholarly resource I'm sure )

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Chocolate

Quote:
Dark Chocolate
1 cup (100 g) cocoa powder
1⁄2 cup (120 mL) coconut oil
4 tablespoons (59 mL) honey
1⁄2 tablespoon (7.4 mL) vanilla extract
¼ cup (25 g) confectioner’s sugar, 1⁄4 cup (59 mL) agave syrup, or 3-6 drops liquid stevia (optional)
Makes approx. 10 oz (283 g) of chocolate
Dark Chocolate has more cocoa powder than anything else

That said, I never realize how much sugar was in milk chocolate, sweet Moses.

We're in agreement that chocolate isn't candy, but I need to figure out why milk chocolate isn't candy other than it feels wrong. Perhaps it's temperature boiled at?

Regardless, it's one of those things that I know is right, but I need to understand why. Like when Newton knew that things fell, just needed to figure out why.

(Yes I compared myself to Isaac Newton, yes it is heavy handed, no I'm no scientist, but yes I'm just as, if not more, awesome than him).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I say candy if it is generally devoid of cocoa. I'll say chocolate if is mainly cocoa based. I don't associate candy as the overall category. I consider the overall category sweets, with candy and chocolate the main two sub categories.

If it's more devoid of cocoa than full of cocoa or flavored in a specific way, I'll either call it by name or say it's chocolate flavoured candy rather than lump them in either category. (ie: Chocolate flavoured/filled mint, tootsie roll, caramel etc.).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #43
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m from a small town, but have lived in the city for quite sometime. Apparently, when I get together with my buddies from home my wife can’t understand me. It’s an oddly hilarious thing, but the accent is strong when that happens!

It could also be the whisky.....!?
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #44
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they think we are saying “a boot” in some kind of a Cockney accent when we say “about”? What does really saying “a boot” sound like then? I don’t get how it sounds the same as when we say “about”. In my ears, “aboot” and “about” sounds vastly different.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #45
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is this bayg/bahg thing?

How can you even pronounce bag two ways?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #46
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I also don’t understand bahg.. like, how are there two ways to say that.

As for about, I’ve noticed that some Americans tend to kind of over pronounce parts of it.

Ah-bah-out is what I’ve heard from a lot of Americans. So comparatively, a Canadian might sound like ah-boot
Old 09-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #47
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Do they think we are saying “a boot” in some kind of a Cockney accent when we say “about”? What does really saying “a boot” sound like then? I don’t get how it sounds the same as when we say “about”. In my ears, “aboot” and “about” sounds vastly different.
Got into this with an Aussie girl many years ago, as there is a difference in how we say it, but I didn't find it noticeable until I started listening for it. I think the problem is that it's difficult to describe how we pronounce it. It really isn't aboot or aboat, but it isn't abowt either. When listening to americans and aussies, they really emphasize the big round ow sound. We don't seem to open our mouths as much, so you don't get that full ow. Probably more pronounced on the east coast where the accents tend to be a bit heavier.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #48
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
It's well documented but different than you describe. You should just read this.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #49
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Got into this with an Aussie girl many years ago, as there is a difference in how we say it, but I didn't find it noticeable until I started listening for it. I think the problem is that it's difficult to describe how we pronounce it. It really isn't aboot or aboat, but it isn't abowt either. When listening to americans and aussies, they really emphasize the big round ow sound. We don't seem to open our mouths as much, so you don't get that full ow. Probably more pronounced on the east coast where the accents tend to be a bit heavier.
I didn't think we had much of an accent until our Aussie room-mate started imitating how we talk. And, we sound hilarious when heard this way.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #50
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Process or prawcess...
This is a big one at work. We have a large US sales force and they're always giving it to us about this one. "It's not PROcess, it's PRAWcess". We've also been told to spell "properly" when corresponding with them. No centre or mitre or colour.

I like to tell them we use the Queens English here.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #51
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Jedi View Post

Go to the South and for sure you sound different. Along the East coast there are many changes to but again, unless I'm wearing Flames gear of a Team Canada hockey hat, I'm just assumed I'm from out West.

I have met English speakers from Europe while outside of Canada and never been assumed to be from the Canadian praires.
Oddly enough years ago we were returning home from a road trip to Montana and stopped in Cardston. Lady at the tourist info asked us where we were from because it was obvious we were not local - she said we had a Northern Alberta accent.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #52
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Jedi View Post
I have met English speakers from Europe while outside of Canada and never been assumed to be from the Canadian parries

It was never specific to a province unless I met other Canadians, but when meeting English speakers from all over the world almost all of them immediately identified my friends and I as Canadian. Main factor for them was enunciation, said our accent was very similar to NW Americans but the pronunciation was clearer. That also why all of the Thai, Filipino, and Vietnamese people I've met say they preferred to talk to Canadians when learning English, as we were the easiest to understand. It was always fun having to translate for a Scottish buddy of mine when the locals had no clue WTF he was saying
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #53
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
What is this bayg/bahg thing?

How can you even pronounce bag two ways?
This one is hard to describe, but it's also by far the biggest one because it affects so many words.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...guistic-shifts

The 1 minute audio clip in this article describes it pretty well.
So apparently I'm a young Calgarian woman.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 12:39 AM   #54
Rasterman
Draft Pick

An American teacher caught my Canuck accent when I said been like bean and not bin like she does - where have you bean? I love east coasters parity instead of party ;-)
Rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #55
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Oddly enough years ago we were returning home from a road trip to Montana and stopped in Cardston. Lady at the tourist info asked us where we were from because it was obvious we were not local - she said we had a Northern Alberta accent.
Unless they are employing Henry Higgins 2.0 at the Cardston tourist bureau I have a tough time with that one. Seems at least as likely she was screwing with you and knew you weren't local because you showed up at the tourist bureau...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #56
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I play a lot of online video games. I get asked constantly if I'm from Canada. We have a noticable accent to Americans. Unless you've lived in america for a while, you have this accent.

The biggest one for me is listening to Canadians say "Hoose" instead of "Hause" for "House"
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #57
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Unless they are employing Henry Higgins 2.0 at the Cardston tourist bureau I have a tough time with that one. Seems at least as likely she was screwing with you and knew you weren't local because you showed up at the tourist bureau...
Except she was right in asking where I was from, and we had not told her at that point. She might have got lucky and guessed I suppose.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #58
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
An American teacher caught my Canuck accent when I said been like bean and not bin like she does - where have you bean? I love east coasters parity instead of party ;-)
I hate the pronunciation of been as bin. It’s bad English.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #59
Rasterman
Draft Pick

Another dead give away, she says is how we say again.
We say a-gain as in gain and loss she says they say a-gan.
I had no idea how we give ourselves away🤣
Rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #60
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Giv'r!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote