Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #9181
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Voted this afternoon in the Banff-Airdrie constituency. Had to wait in line about 45 minutes as the polling station was busy. Knew who I would vote for months ago wanted to get it done.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #9182
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Just read an article about the Bloc surge...holy #### I forgot how annoying these losers are. Apparently the leader is pissed that the Gov purchased TMX, because God forbid any public funds go to assisting anyone else besides Quebec, and their platform is explicitly, unbelievably anti-Alberta. So now we have all three minor parties being openly hostile to our province and they'll hold the balance of power in what will be a minority government of some stripe. This is a disaster for Alberta, I know people hate Trudeau and I'm definitely no fan myself but I always criticized him and the Liberals with the clear-eyed knowledge that things (amazingly) could be a lot worse. I have a bad feeling that after this election we'll be begging for the stable Liberal majority over whatever crap sandwich parliament we get. This is bad.
I wondering about this "surge". I know it comes down to vote efficiency, but the last two elections the BQ finished with about 4-6% and that seems to be about where they are now. Personally, I'd like them to get zero seats and be wiped out, but I have a hard time seeing a finish around five percentage points giving them an enormous number of seats? Maybe their vote really is that efficient?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #9183
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I wondering about this "surge". I know it comes down to vote efficiency, but the last two elections the BQ finished with about 4-6% and that seems to be about where they are now. Personally, I'd like them to get zero seats and be wiped out, but I have a hard time seeing a finish around five percentage points giving them an enormous number of seats? Maybe their vote really is that efficient?
They may be at 6% nationally, but in QC they are polling at 28%.

Probably 20 or so seats.

They certainly are a scourge to Canadian sovereignty and unity however, that's indisputable.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #9184
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Each political party can't seem to give enough money away during this election.

Today's deficits are tomorrow taxes. Our kids are going to inherit these huge debts.

Sadly, it seems like most Canadians don't care. I don't have kids and don't plan on having kids, but I think it's outrageous to burden the next generation with huge gov't debt repayment.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 10-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #9185
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am laughing on twitter as for the last 18 hours or so the liberal twitter playbook has been all about the cuts proposed by the conservatives. While ingnoring how they are poised to ratchet up the deficit.

My over under on Canada becoming the Venezuela of the northern hemisphere is 5 years.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #9186
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Each political party can't seem to give enough money away during this election.

Today's deficits are tomorrow taxes. Our kids are going to inherit these huge debts.

Sadly, it seems like most Canadians don't care. I don't have kids and don't plan on having kids, but I think it's outrageous to burden the next generation with huge gov't debt repayment.

Yep. Most Canadians dont even care about their own personal debt, let alone the nation's.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #9187
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's even more efficient since no English person votes for them, so that those seats out. There are many 4-horse race in non-Mobrreal Quebec that could be won with 30%

Old 10-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #9188
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's even more efficient since no English person votes for them, so that those seats out. There are many 4-horse race in non-Mobrreal Quebec that could be won with 30%
Canada would be much better served with a two-party system like the highly functioning governance of the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #9189
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trudeau is to blame for the resurrection of the Bloc.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #9190
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Just from a distance, the CBC is getting roasted on twitter for their ridiculous lawsuit, [and more so for the timing of it] against the CPC.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #9191
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yep. Most Canadians dont even care about their own personal debt, let alone the nation's.
I need to save an extra $200 this year in taxes! ##### the kids! We need more dangerous 30 year mortgages so we can have a housing crisis someday, why don't all the leaders get it!!! I deserve 3000 square feet, I work hard!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #9192
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I need to save an extra $200 this year in taxes! ##### the kids! We need more dangerous 30 year mortgages so we can have a housing crisis someday, why don't all the leaders get it!!! I deserve 3000 square feet, I work hard!
People's irresponsibility today actually makes me more left wing I'd rather pay more to have that money in the government's hands and get services, than in their's.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #9193
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
People's irresponsibility today actually makes me more left wing I'd rather pay more to have that money in the government's hands and get services, than in their's.
Isn't a core conservative tenet that people can better manage and allocate their own money?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #9194
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Isn't a core conservative tenet that people can better manage and allocate their own money?
Yes but that's obviously not happening. People are living very close to the limit with no wiggle room, regardless of how much they are making. Any type of recession, inflation or interest rate increase and they're drowning.

Scheer's proposal is hollow. Cut so people can get ahead . They are not going to get ahead.

Last edited by GirlySports; 10-12-2019 at 10:55 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #9195
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes but that's obviously not happening. People are living very close to the limit with no wiggle room, regardless of how much they are making. Any type of recession, inflation or interest rate increase and they're drowning.

Scheer's proposal is hollow. Cut so people can get ahead . They are not going to get ahead.
That's what I see. Governments are catering to this stupidity (ie keeping interests rate bottom) to fuel more borrowing for people and irresponsible decisions.

When the sh*t finally hits the fan, people who were responsible are going to have to pay the price for others.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 10-12-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #9196
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am laughing on twitter as for the last 18 hours or so the liberal twitter playbook has been all about the cuts proposed by the conservatives. While ingnoring how they are poised to ratchet up the deficit.

My over under on Canada becoming the Venezuela of the northern hemisphere is 5 years.
I assume that you're actively taking some steps to prepare for this? I mean the current debt servicing costs are amongst the lowest we've ever seen, debt to GDP doesn't appear frightening and overall things are stable. But if you believe that we're within five years of calamity and implosion there could be something I'm missing? Regardless though, you must be taking some steps?

Quote:
I guess, but what I mean is the last two elections they got about 5% of the vote and that's about where they are now. It doesn't look like a huge surge, but maybe it is?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #9197
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is why it's hilarious to see people say the government borrows too much and "if I ran my household like that...". The debt/income in this country is something 165%, so I'd prefer if the government didn't notice that and follow that kind of path!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #9198
Flamenspiel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is that “the government” is the people, my observation has been that they act the same way with the same motivations. This more clear today then it has ever been
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #9199
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My 11 year old was learning about the election in school and decided to watch the debates. Even he quickly came to the conclusion that all of the leaders are full of it, and almost all of what was said was either attacks on others or sound bites that don't really mean anything when you think about them, and that none of them really had anything useful to say.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #9200
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
My 11 year old was learning about the election in school and decided to watch the debates. Even he quickly came to the conclusion that all of the leaders are full of it, and almost all of what was said was either attacks on others or sound bites that don't really mean anything when you think about them, and that none of them really had anything useful to say.
You missed a couple of letters.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post: