Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #1021
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
Accuweather and Weathernetwork apps are showing 12-20CM of snow for us on Friday
Oh goodie,

Just what we all wanted. Garbage roads and transit delays before the long weekend.

How many times do you think someone crashes into a train.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #1022
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
The weather network is showing 12 - 20cm? Ok so that means 2-3cm for friday. Thanks.
It will probably be +5 and sunny
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #1023
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The weather network is showing 12 - 20cm? Ok so that means 2-3cm for friday. Thanks.
Down to 10 cm now which likely means 25 cm.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #1024
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
-25 means bigger potholes in the spring and more strain on your vehicle.
how many times do I have to say I'm talking about right ####ing now? Not next week, not in the spring, now.
Quote:
Skating, skiing and sledding is more enjoyable at +1.
Disagree. I like skiing in -20, the hill is empty. It's also totally fine temp wise if you later properly. Better even; you sweat less. I do recognize that I'm in the minority on that one though.
Quote:
Colder temperatures also mean more energy usage and a larger per person carbon footprint, if you’re an alarmist environmentalist. I’m not, just to be clear.
Has nothing to do with the relative misery of existing in different winter climates.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #1025
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? You are just saying that you only like -20 because there are less people at the ski hill. That has nothing to do with comfort at that temperature. If ski hills were empty when it was +1 out, that would be better.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #1026
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

This has been an awful year to have bought a snowblower. If it is going to snow I want at least 5 cm so that I don't look like a clown using the snowblower. I also just recently found out how to make it run 3x as fast and want to see just how quick I can get through a giant snowfall.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #1027
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I knew full well that by purchasing a snowblower this year, that meant we weren't going to get enough snow to make it worth dragging it out.

Money well spent IMHO.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #1028
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
This has been an awful year to have bought a snowblower. If it is going to snow I want at least 5 cm so that I don't look like a clown using the snowblower. I also just recently found out how to make it run 3x as fast and want to see just how quick I can get through a giant snowfall.
One of the gifts my wife and I got this year was a pair of snowshoes each...since getting them, there's either been no/not enough snow, or it's way too dang cold to go snowshoeing...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #1029
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Calgary ever get enough snow for a snowblower? I mean unless you have an estate home with a long driveway, whats the point? It takes less than 10 mins for me to shovel my driveway and sidewalk. I can't imagine it would take more than 20 even with a large snowfall.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #1030
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Does Calgary ever get enough snow for a snowblower? I mean unless you have an estate home with a long driveway, whats the point? It takes less than 10 mins for me to shovel my driveway and sidewalk. I can't imagine it would take more than 20 even with a large snowfall.
I have a 3 car driveway, if the cars are parked nose to trunk (long and thin). There is one place that I can put snow, and it's at the very front end of the driveway. I've spent 3 hours shoveling it before. Could probably snowblow it in 20.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #1031
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I used to ask myself this same question and after buying one, I have the following thoughts...
1) I do not need to dig deep into the winter chest and layer up as I used to when preparing to be outside for 30 minutes. A snowblower turns a 30 minute job into a 7 minute job.

2) I can clear the snow in the morning while the car warms up and after getting ready for work and not worry about sweating in my dress clothes.

3) Yet to really experience this benefit but our front lawn is on a slope down to the sidewalk so snow has to be thrown up on the lawn (extra work) or onto the street which will become an issue for visitors. My front yard is north facing and snow takes forever in the spring to melt. A snowblower allows for snow to be shot to the middle of the street keeping minimal snow on the lawn and visitor parking spaces.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #1032
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, on a decent snow day, 20cm takes me a good 45 minutes by hand, about 30 with a blower.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #1033
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Oh joy, driving down from Edmonton to go skiing in the Kootenays this weekend, and driving right into snowpocalypse, perfectly timed for long-weekend commuters. GREAT.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #1034
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Really? You are just saying that you only like -20 because there are less people at the ski hill. That has nothing to do with comfort at that temperature. If ski hills were empty when it was +1 out, that would be better.
No, it wouldn't. Are you guys trolling me with this lack of reading comprehension? I just said if you layer properly you sweat less when it's cold. If it's too warm you sweat, and then freeze on the chairlift when the wind hits you. I think the ideal temperature is actually somewhere between -8 and -15 for skiing, but -20 is fine, and +1 isn't a lot of fun. The whole mountain turns to soup and you end up getting soaked.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #1035
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No, it wouldn't. Are you guys trolling me with this lack of reading comprehension? I just said if you layer properly you sweat less when it's cold. If it's too warm you sweat, and then freeze on the chairlift when the wind hits you. I think the ideal temperature is actually somewhere between -8 and -15 for skiing, but -20 is fine, and +1 isn't a lot of fun. The whole mountain turns to soup and you end up getting soaked.
-8 to -15 is ideal, now I know you are trolling.

-5 to 0 is the sweet spot for skiing.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #1036
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kind of depends on the wind. -20 was fine yesterday because it was perfectly still where I was. But add a gentle whispering breeze and you might as well rip your face off.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #1037
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are 100 feet up on a chair, there is always wind. -20 is my hard cutoff. -15 and I'm probably not going to waste my day being cold. -0 to -10 is where I like to be, but the idea that +1 means the hill is a soupy mess is baffling. That's not how it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #1038
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a snowblower in the fall too, so it's great that we had a mild winter up until the last few weeks. We sure are paying for it though.

I'm willing to buy another snowblower next fall/winter to make sure we get the same weather pattern. As long as this cold really does go away next week.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #1039
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you are 100 feet up on a chair, there is always wind. -20 is my hard cutoff. -15 and I'm probably not going to waste my day being cold. -0 to -10 is where I like to be, but the idea that +1 means the hill is a soupy mess is baffling. That's not how it works.
Well, first of all, most chairs don't get more than 20-30 feet off the ground, but that aside, there isn't always significant wind. At Louise, the only places you really get wind making the chairlift ride cold are on Topo and the last part of Paradise. Moreover, if you're properly geared, even a bit of wind on the chair isn't the end of the world, and it has the benefit of wind loading certain parts of the mountain that you can then go and ski. At +1, you either have wet snow, or if it's sunny, the hill gets slushy in the afternoon and freezes up overnight. The best conditions for keeping the snow consistency ideal are colder than -10. Not to mention, if there's too much termperature variance you get more unpredictable avy conditions and the things you actually want to ski don't get open.

Anyway, like I said, I know I'm in the minority on my skiing preferences, which is good, because you can all stay home.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #1040
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, well I disagree with most of that.

Moving along...