Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #9361
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Does anyone actually like turkey? I get it's tradition and all, but it is so bland, easy to dry out, and a pain in the ass to prepare and carve. The only thing it has going for it is that it can feed lots of people at once for a gathering.

Or does my family just suck at making turkey, and I'm missing out?
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...vy-recipe.html

Proper salting and not over cooking are really important. Also eat dark meat

My favourite part is making soup from the bones and leftovers.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #9362
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Itís the worst part of any Thanksgiving meal Iíve had.
The other benefit is the amount of gravy you can make. It's required to make turkey taste ok, but enhances the other dishes.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #9363
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Or make a ham instead.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:38 PM   #9364
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s all about the prep. Plain, dry turkey is about as good as plain dry chicken breast. When seasoned and cooked properly though, and as part of a delicious thanksgiving dinner with stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes and whatever else your family includes, it’s delicious.

Then leftover turkey. Turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey and gravy on dinner rolls.

And pie! Dear god, my mother made a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin pie cheesecake. I must have gained 5lbs from Saturday night to Sunday night.

Oh I do have a gear grinder tho. Doing things on a holiday Monday sucks. It’s way better on Sunday, that way you get Monday as your day off. Then it’s a real holiday. This applies to both football and family supper at labour day and thanksgiving, respectively.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #9365
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This was the first year that I haven't had a family thanksgiving. Too many feuding family members that can't be in the same room with each other, plus my Mom is getting up there and with her issues, getting her to cook a big spread is unfair.

Instead thanksgiving was me taking my folks out to a nice breakfast on Sunday, and then turning off my phone after I got home.

BTW a well cooked turkey is awesome and really tasty and turkey gravy is the best gravy ever.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #9366
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind turkey if it's done well, but I'm not a big fan of stuffing or mashed potatoes.

This year Thanksgiving was at my house and I did a prime rib roast. Best Thanksgiving dinner ever
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #9367
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bacon wrapped turkey anyone?

https://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-wr...-turkey-341050

I did this two years ago and it was incredible. Incredibly moist and full of flavor. The bacon on the outside is actually a small part of it as it's only there to add flavor and salt to the skin. The key is the butter mixture under the skin and the vegetables inside. That keeps moisture throughout the whole bird for the whole roast and adds aromatics. Takes some time to prep, but it's worth it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #9368
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The local butcher here sells fresh turkey roasts, He debones a fresh turkey, then rolls it into a roast, with the skin all around the outside and a mesh wrapping around it. It's awesome, so easy to roast and no waste. A bit more per pound, but worth it to me for the convenience. It's about 70/30 white meat to dark, I wish it was more 50/50 but that's my only complaint.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #9369
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Haha I used the Food Lab recipe for a spatchcocked turkey with a 24 hour dry brine beforehand. Made 1/2 cup of herb butter, and rubbed it all over the bird. 80 minutes in the oven and it was perfect.

I have butterflied the last dozen or so chickens that I have roasted, and now, a turkey. Seriously makes all the difference between a dried out, flavourless bird and something so perfect.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #9370
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We redeemed ourselves from last year's dry bird and did a rub similar to peter above and it worked out very well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #9371
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm usually skeptical of most people's Turkey cooking skills. It is easy to overcook, dry out and generally just screw it up.

This year for a change of pace I decided to make a Porchetta from scratch.

Ordered a whole side of pig from butcher. Bones still in to keep the price down. Proceed to de-bone the ribs and any other bones. Start butterflying the side to have the largest rectangle of porc you can with at least 1" thickness. Rub entire side with spice mix. Roll and tie and let rest/marinade for 1-2 days. Place on rottieserie for 4-6 hours until cooked through and exterior fat cap is crispy as hell. Have the best Thanksgiving dinner ever. Profit.

Last edited by Insufficient Funds; 10-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #9372
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the turkey, stuffing and giblet gravy from scratch this year and turned out excellent, the stuffing in particular.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #9373
PostandIn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Deep fried a 16 pounder on Sunday and it was fabulous. Cajun rub inside and out, wrapped and refrigerated overnight, then deep fried for 35 minutes. ALL the skin is crispy. It's the best way to do turkey.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #9374
BeltlineFan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My family has always made mashed turnip as a dish for Thanksgiving. The turkey always tastes great next to that garbage.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #9375
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Man, how do you guys not love turkey dinner? I've never heard of such a thing. It's gotta be my favourite meal. Turkey breast, stuffing and mashed potatoes with gravy all over...mmmmmm. I let the dopes fill up on buns and peas and carrots while I pig out on the good stuff.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #9376
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

My dad, who is otherwise someone who does not like to cook, makes an amazing turkey. Perfectly done and moist. I know he puts a butter mixture under the skin and puts chicken stock and veg in the roasting pan along with it, but no gimmicks outside that. Bastes every 45 minutes at the start and then every 20-30 near the end. Covers it once it’s browned enough. No stuffing inside the bird (we have it, it’s just cooked separately). Monitors with thermometer to whatever “done” is, and lets it rest for 30-45 minutes.

The turkey and the resulting gravy are always the best things on the table. He makes it look very easy, considering he’s probably drunk by the time it’s done.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #9377
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one cooks a better turkey than my mom. Always juicy. Mashed potatoes, gravy, mmmmmm!!! I miss that meal as she's out of town this year. Gotta wait for Christmas.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #9378
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Man, how do you guys not love turkey dinner? I've never heard of such a thing. It's gotta be my favourite meal. Turkey breast, stuffing and mashed potatoes with gravy all over...mmmmmm. I let the dopes fill up on buns and peas and carrots while I pig out on the good stuff.
If I never had a turkey dinner again I'd probably be fine. Turkey is boring as hell. You need gravy all over it because it's bland af. "Oh man, you spent all this time perfectly cooking this, but it's still turkey. Should have done a prime rib instead".
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #9379
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Turkey is the issue at hand. Not all the other clearly delicious things that accompany it.

A “big turkey dinner” is amazing, but the turkey part isn’t.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #9380
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
I'm usually skeptical of most people's Turkey cooking skills. It is easy to overcook, dry out and generally just screw it up.

This year for a change of pace I decided to make a Porchetta from scratch.

Ordered a whole side of pig from butcher. Bones still in to keep the price down. Proceed to de-bone the ribs and any other bones. Start butterflying the side to have the largest rectangle of porc you can with at least 1" thickness. Rub entire side with spice mix. Roll and tie and let rest/marinade for 1-2 days. Place on rottieserie for 4-6 hours until cooked through and exterior fat cap is crispy as hell. Have the best Thanksgiving dinner ever. Profit.

i've done lots of turkey dinners over the years and have never screwed it up. do people not use a meat thermometer?? i usually put in two thermometers (one on each side) just to make sure my temps are accurate.

the porchetta sounds AMAZING!!!!