Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2019, 01:11 AM   #9341
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I just assumed Duffman grew up around the time period the Flintstones was set in.
Things just arenít as big as they used to be.

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #9342
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People who lack a basic understanding of fundamental cooking principals getting their way.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #9343
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Iíd disagree,

Baking recipes have used 50g large eggs weighed out of shell for quite some time. This is very consistent today with a large egg.
Who said anything about large eggs?
Old 10-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #9344
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Who said anything about large eggs?
Extra Large eggs weight between 60 and 65 out of shell and have for at least 20 years. Again baking when you bought the wrong eggs.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #9345
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Extra Large eggs weight between 60 and 65 out of shell and have for at least 20 years. Again baking when you bought the wrong eggs.
Who said anything about baking?

I am talking about going to bed dreaming of a huge bacon and eggs breakfast the next morning, and you open your carton of EXTRA LARGE eggs, and they are the size of grapes.
Donít care about eggs in baking.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #9346
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who said anything about baking?

I am talking about going to bed dreaming of a huge bacon and eggs breakfast the next morning, and you open your carton of EXTRA LARGE eggs, and they are the size of grapes.
Don’t care about eggs in baking.
I’m saying the size of eggs in an extra large carton haven’t changed size in the last 20 years because I have weighed them periodically when using them for baking.

Egga are regulated by weight per dozen. There is a Jumbo size as well.

Last edited by GGG; 10-13-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #9347
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What really GMG is when there is an alert sent out through my work security notification that there has been a shooting in the large mall a block away from me, going on to say that there may be an active shooter and to stay well clear of the area. This is then followed by local news reporting on the scene with images of SWAT teams being dispatched into the building and phone recordings of people still inside the mall under lock down (hiding behind tables in the apple store). The early reports speak of shots being fired and one man already sent to hospital for his wounds. Coverage continues with helicopter footage and reporters quoting police saying "come out with your hands up!", and a general panic in the community as text and emails begin to fly.

No wait.

That's not what grinds my gears.

What actually grinds my gears is that it later turns out to have been one loud bang that happened in the mall which led to the report of shots being fired. The police search the entire premises and not only do they NOT find a shooter of any kind, there aren't any signs of gunfire. No bullet holes, no casings, no weapons, no reports of further shots other than that initial loud bang.

Oh that guy that was sent to the hospital? It turns out that his injury resulted of him panicking and running his head straight into some object. Turns out he had a somewhat serious head injury that needed tending to.

So I guess my gear grinder is that I live in a country where people have to assume that any loud noise in a public place is an active shooter first, and the more logical answer second. My gears are ground that we live in a constant state of readiness and fear for the next incident to occur, so much so that the media treats any unconfirmed shots as the reality until evidence is presented to the contrary. I hate that people know how to hide in a lockdown situation with an active shooter. I hate that those who choose to run from this "shooter" end up having a serious injury over what was absolutely nothing.

I hate that my wife was panicked about my whereabout and well being, even for a split second. I hate that as a professor at a university I have to undergo mandatory active shooter training yearly and be responsible for all my students.

This #### has got to change. Now.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #9348
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Reminds me of that video they showed of a car backfiring near Times Square a couple days after a mass shooting, sending thousands running with screams of mass shooter.

Even though the odds are still extremely low of getting caught in a mass shooting, it has to be so ****ing unnerving being in US cities when anything out of the ordinary happens and people panic.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #9349
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Reminds me of that video they showed of a car backfiring near Times Square a couple days after a mass shooting, sending thousands running with screams of mass shooter.

Even though the odds are still extremely low of getting caught in a mass shooting, it has to be so ****ing unnerving being in US cities when anything out of the ordinary happens and people panic.
We are all conditioned to expect it, even if the odds are low. The randomness of it keeps it possible, especially if you're in a public place. Working on a campus day in and day out, you don't actively consider it, but every once in a while I'll see a student with a duffle bag and look at him very, very closely.

It's about self-preservation, but it shouldn't be this way.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #9350
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iím saying the size of eggs in an extra large carton havenít changed size in the last 20 years because I have weighed them periodically when using them for baking.

Egga are regulated by weight per dozen. There is a Jumbo size as well.
Why would you weigh them if they havenít changed sizes? Does your baking have .0001 gram variance of failure?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #9351
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would you weigh them if they havenít changed sizes? Does your baking have .0001 gram variance of failure?
With gluten free baking moisture management is pretty important so the egg to egg variance of up to 5 grams can make a different. When using extra large eggs I dump out a bit to avoid the extra amount when a recipe calls for large eggs.

The way eggs are specced is a weight per dozen.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #9352
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
First, I'm sorry to hear about your job Maccalus. But that seems pretty crappy of your ex-employer. If I recall our company kept people on their benefits (Prescriptions, dental etc.) for 30 days to allow them to finish up any appointments etc. they may havemade. I thought this was common practice, maybe not. That sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
When someone is terminated from my company the benefits end immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Things seem to have gotten rather dire around here then because it used to be customary to extend the benefits for a grace period. I think it even used to be 3-6 months so that people would have coverage while on the job hunt.
Benefits almost never end the same day you're laid off/fired/whatever. Every month you've paid for a certain time period and you are covered for that time period. It's at least for the month forward, so if you paid for October, then you might even be covered for November.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #9353
White Out 403
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Benefits almost always end when your terminated with cause.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #9354
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because of the previous discussion on whether 81MC was a HA or not, I am picturing every one of these gear grinders as happening, or being told, in a HA's clubhouse. There are a bunch of bikers coming back from a job, and one of them is upset with one of his buddies because he didn't like leaves or the new uniforms came out and the socks were too baggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
People who lack a basic understanding of fundamental cooking principals getting their way.
Quote:
Loose, baggy socks. SMH.
Quote:
Missing the season opener because coworkers are either lazy or incredibly ignorant really GMG.
Quote:
I get jargon speak is an issue. But does anyone else feel like sometimes people just can’t comprehend real, complex sentences.
Like, no offence, but that last sentence is entirely valid, and means what it says. It may be long and overly ‘wordy’ but you don’t need a degree to comprehend what is being spoken of.
I’ve honestly heard good people disparage others for their broad vocabulary, which is some sort of bizarre in my mind.
Quote:
#### anyone who takes umbrage to some leaves. Yeah, it’s called nature, be happy you have it.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #9355
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Benefits almost always end when your terminated with cause.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle34238701/
Old 10-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #9356
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
There doesnít appear to be anything in this article that speaks of how many employees terminated for cause keep/lose their benefits upon termination.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #9357
White Out 403
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

I didn't say it was the right move legally or ethically. But when terminated for cause benefits usually end right on delivery of the termination.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #9358
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Because of the previous discussion on whether 81MC was a HA or not, I am picturing every one of these gear grinders as happening, or being told, in a HA's clubhouse. There are a bunch of bikers coming back from a job, and one of them is upset with one of his buddies because he didn't like leaves or the new uniforms came out and the socks were too baggy.
Today I learn Iím quite grumpy.
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #9359
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Does anyone actually like turkey? I get it's tradition and all, but it is so bland, easy to dry out, and a pain in the ass to prepare and carve. The only thing it has going for it is that it can feed lots of people at once for a gathering.

Or does my family just suck at making turkey, and I'm missing out?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #9360
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Does anyone actually like turkey? I get it's tradition and all, but it is so bland, easy to dry out, and a pain in the ass to prepare and carve. The only thing it has going for it is that it can feed lots of people at once for a gathering.

Or does my family just suck at making turkey, and I'm missing out?
Itís the worst part of any Thanksgiving meal Iíve had.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: