Shoes are dropping

http://boereport.com/2015/11/26/spyg...-shareholders/

Spyglass headed to receivership.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #1043
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how Trans Canada got away with not announcing number of layoffs to the media? Every other major layoff has had the numbers out...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #1044
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kiewit Energy has been doing rounds of layoffs all month. My buddy just got let go along with about 8 other people in the past week.

Sucks man.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #1045
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I'd approach it in the same way you outlined as well.

However, asking for a raise in Calgary right now is asinine. I think one needs to have a very sober view of the current market and an understanding that it is very difficult to justify a raise when margins are as compressed as they are and hundreds of people are losing their jobs month to month.

If you have a job right now in Calgary, be thankful, not greedy.

I recently completed a professional designation, and have taken on substantial extra responsibilities at my job. In my mind I am absolutely justified in asking for a substantial raise, but I sure as hell am not going to with things the way they are right now.
I would still have the conversation but frame it around when the financial situation permits you expect a raise but understand right now that nothing can be done.

I think it's important if you don't want to company hop to get increases to be very up front with your expectations. If you just take the extra work and be quiet about it when raises are divided up they may believe that they can give you on the lower end of spectrum.

Now you don't want to Glencross yourself but having regular conversations about expectations is important. As a manger I also appreciated it as nothing was worse then someone giving you their resignation and finding out the reason was purely financial when it was never once brought up.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #1046
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I would still have the conversation but frame it around when the financial situation permits you expect a raise but understand right now that nothing can be done.

I think it's important if you don't want to company hop to get increases to be very up front with your expectations. If you just take the extra work and be quiet about it when raises are divided up they may believe that they can give you on the lower end of spectrum.

Now you don't want to Glencross yourself but having regular conversations about expectations is important. As a manger I also appreciated it as nothing was worse then someone giving you their resignation and finding out the reason was purely financial when it was never once brought up.
Good points.

I also think it is about reading the room, and right now is not the time unfortunately.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #1047
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Shoes are dropping

http://boereport.com/2015/11/26/spyg...-shareholders/

Spyglass headed to receivership.
I work for Graycon who has/had Spyglass as a client for IT services, and up until a couple of hours ago I was assigned as the primary on-site technician there. It's been an interesting day
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #1048
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spyglass was struggling when oil was at $100/bbl.

To be honest, I'm surprised they lasted this long.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #1049
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy View Post
400 .
No wonder most of my connections in ATCO suddenly started updating there LinkedIn.
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #1050
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Kiewit Energy has been doing rounds of layoffs all month. My buddy just got let go along with about 8 other people in the past week.

Sucks man.
wait what?

Kiewit is supposed to be the company where if they like you, they keep you forever.

Interesting.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #1051
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not directly related to O&G, but indirectly. My childrens before and after school care just laid off one of the nice ladies looking after my kids. It was because enrollment has dropped significantly. A year ago, there was a wait list. Ugh
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #1052
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, with my work getting cut to 4 days a week we stopped having the house cleaner come in. Didn't make much sense. There is a large unseen affect on other peoples jobs and livelihoods that the oil industry indirectly supports.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #1053
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 11-26-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #1054
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy View Post
9000 includes field staff... there have been rounds of cuts in the field over several months, this round was more focused on corporate so as far as impact the denominator was much smaller. Some groups were hit really hard. Goes without saying Wednesday was a pretty awful day at work. I'm thankful I made the cut when lots of my colleagues didn't.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #1055
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
9000 includes field staff... there have been rounds of cuts in the field over several months, this round was more focused on corporate so as far as impact the denominator was much smaller. Some groups were hit really hard. Goes without saying Wednesday was a pretty awful day at work. I'm thankful I made the cut when lots of my colleagues didn't.
Actually I'd say it was way more than 400. I heard around 20% of the 9000. And it was across the board; field, office, management. People from all over the place were getting axed.
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #1056
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be the biggest one yet if its 1500-2000 people.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #1057
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

With the number of people that have lost/are going to lose their job in the next week, it will be that high.
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #1058
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wonder how Trans Canada got away with not announcing number of layoffs to the media? Every other major layoff has had the numbers out...
There is no requirement to announce to media. Some companies do it because it can potentially help rally shares.

When we did layoffs it was explicitly said we wouldn't announce anything because it's disrespectful to the departed to air this laundry in public for some kind of gain.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-27-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #1059
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Not directly related to O&G, but indirectly. My childrens before and after school care just laid off one of the nice ladies looking after my kids. It was because enrollment has dropped significantly. A year ago, there was a wait list. Ugh
The wife and I are currently looking for a nanny and it's good but depressing how many applicants we've had. Most are practically begging for the job because their previous FT employer was laid off from their job and doesn't need them anymore.

It's amazing how many industries in Alberta get impacted that you don't really think about.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #1060
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Good points.

I also think it is about reading the room, and right now is not the time unfortunately.
Honestly job hopping is the only way to significantly increase your salary for multiple reasons. Obviously now is not the time to do it if you have a solid position in an industry where many jobs aren't available.

The biggest reason for this is that if you get hired into a junior position, management is always going to think of you as junior. Even when you get promoted to a higher position you likely won't see the raise that should come with it. Job hopping is a way to get more experience in different areas and come into a new opportunity having propped yourself up from past experiences (and lets face it, everyone embellishes the experience that they actually have).

I've seen mediocre programmers talk their way into 6 figure salaries that they didn't deserve. I've also seen them get overwhelmed by expectations and quitting before management finds out they are frauds.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote