Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #1021
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Me, everyday. My education is in a sense holding me back, I can't get a decent job to save my life. Really really sucks to be in my prime career years with zero opportunity working near minimum wage... with 2 University degrees. Ughh. I think I'm going to die in debt.
Dude, you have to leave this city.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #1022
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Not sure if this was directed to me, but I'm a manager.
I assume gladaki is in a somewhat entry-level position and doesn't manage anyone himself. Otherwise he would be able to see it from his managers perspective a little better and would have went to his manager with a better argument than others get paid more than me at some other mystical company.

If you were a manager, how would you have responded to Gladaki's request for a raise?
Considering you can draw exactly nothing from his post on an internet forum, I don't know how I would react, or know his situation to make an informed decision.

I mean he posted:

"I was complaining my manager that I get paid atleast 20% less than what is comparable to market. He said, there are more exp people ready to work for what I getting paid..I dont know what to say..on his reply"

Does anyone actually think this is how he approached the situation? Or is this just internet forum summary talk?

But if thats exactly how the situation was approached, well don't mind me..

Last edited by Weitz; 11-24-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #1023
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladaki View Post
I was complaining my manager that I get paid atleast 20% less than what is comparable to market. He said, there are more exp people ready to work for what I getting paid..I dont know what to say..on his reply
I wouldn't touch the issue again. If you are certain you're undervalued, test that market opportunity you perceive.

Last edited by RoadGame; 11-24-2015 at 10:51 PM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #1024
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Me, everyday. My education is in a sense holding me back, I can't get a decent job to save my life. Really really sucks to be in my prime career years with zero opportunity working near minimum wage... with 2 University degrees. Ughh. I think I'm going to die in debt.
Move.

You are young, I assume have nothing to tie you down here.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #1025
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladaki View Post
I went with APEGA salary survey,but it was a lunch conversation. Actually, In past they asked me to take certain responsibilities and promised a raise in next cycle but the country manager who promised it was let go
I'm guessing your in seismic processing for a certain french geophysical firm, just a guess though. Tough to use APEGA salary survey as a guide in that side of the industry. I find most salaries reported are skewed upwards by E/P company salaries.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #1026
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have never asked for a raise in my entire career. Even if you manager wants to give you a raise, there're a lot of hurdles to cross to prove you deserve it unless it is a promotion.

It is far easier to go to a new company and to sweet talk your way into higher salary or position.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #1027
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I have never asked for a raise in my entire career. Even if you manager wants to give you a raise, there're a lot of hurdles to cross to prove you deserve it unless it is a promotion.

It is far easier to go to a new company and to sweet talk your way into higher salary or position.
I have asked for and gotten raises.

The thing is you need to ensure there is a reason you should get a raise. Usually, it can't be "I want more money" or "inflation".

You need to outline what it is about your value to the company that isn't properly represented by your current compensation package.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #1028
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The smart way to get a raise:

- Pull job description.
- Do an honest self-assessment of your position, and if you have any additional responsibilities/accomplishments over a defined period of time.
- request meeting with supervisor. Treat it like a sales pitch. You are talent above and beyond what they hired you for.
- Typically, management will be either sympathetic or acquiescent.
- if not, you don't want to work for that company anyway.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #1029
skudr248
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Your education isn't holding you back... did you get any experience in co-op/work terms or anything in your field during your 4-5 years of university?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #1030
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
I'm guessing your in seismic processing for a certain french geophysical firm, just a guess though. Tough to use APEGA salary survey as a guide in that side of the industry. I find most salaries reported are skewed upwards by E/P company salaries.
gladaki isn't working there as far as I Know, but he does have friends everywhere.

I used to work for CGGs main competitor, and was cut in March.

The salary was comparable to APEGA's guide, but about as low as they could get away with without all the actual geo's complaining about it.

To get around this issue of geo's complaining, they would hire non-geo's to do all the geo work.

In fact, when I was let go there was only 1 P.Geo there (i am G.I.T)- and he has also been laid off a week or two after me. So no geo's there. I would not use my old work for geophysical service, that's for sure.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #1031
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know who SemCAMS bought the Duvernay assets from?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #1032
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post

- Pull job description.
- Do an honest self-assessment of your position, and if you have any additional responsibilities/accomplishments over a defined period of time.
- request meeting with supervisor. Treat it like a sales pitch. You are talent above and beyond what they hired you for.
As a plebien, myself, I would approach it from a different tact. I would suggest starting with a request for a performance review and see where that discussion will lead. A few years ago our office wasn't doing well financially and so after a good review, I acknowledged that a salary bump might not happen, but maybe extra vacation time or something like that.

I am not sure about what Gladaki does, but it really depends on how integral he is to the team when asking for a salary bump. Is 20% (should Galadaki call a bluff) worth having to find a new person, go through all of the HR b.s., retraining, etc. etc? I am not sure. In some places it could be that easy, but in others it's a PITA and worth just appeasing the person instead of having them walk. BUT... if there are layoffs that have to be made, it doesn't help, unless you're still in the lower echelons of the salaried employees.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #1033
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Not sure if this was directed to me, but I'm a manager.
I assume gladaki is in a somewhat entry-level position and doesn't manage anyone himself. Otherwise he would be able to see it from his managers perspective a little better and would have went to his manager with a better argument than others get paid more than me at some other mystical company.

If you were a manager, how would you have responded to Gladaki's request for a raise?
Well, I manage managers, so I do have an opinion on how I would expect a manager to respond to what he posted. As a rule, I want my front line employees comfortable talking to their managers about pretty much anything, which includes salary expectations. If the conversation went how he says it went, I see nothing there that should have put a target on his back, and if the relationship changes after a conversation like that, then I'd be pretty disappointed with the manager. If the guy kept pushing things, and resented the fact that he got nothing than it's a different story, but I don't see any of that in the post.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #1034
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Well, I manage managers, so I do have an opinion on how I would expect a manager to respond to what he posted. As a rule, I want my front line employees comfortable talking to their managers about pretty much anything, which includes salary expectations. If the conversation went how he says it went, I see nothing there that should have put a target on his back, and if the relationship changes after a conversation like that, then I'd be pretty disappointed with the manager. If the guy kept pushing things, and resented the fact that he got nothing than it's a different story, but I don't see any of that in the post.
I guess your original comment wasn't directed at me then. I never stated it put a target on his back or anything like that. I stated he should handle the requests for raises a bit better.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #1035
DoubleK
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As a rule, I want my front line employees comfortable talking to their managers about pretty much anything, which includes salary expectations. If the conversation went how he says it went, I see nothing there that should have put a target on his back, and if the relationship changes after a conversation like that, then I'd be pretty disappointed with the manager.
I agree and would add that salary planning conversations at this time of year aren't out of the norm.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #1036
VENIVIDIVICI
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Great example of recency bias, have you forgotten that the entire financial system almost collapsed in 2008? We live in a boom bust cycle.
Wrong, the entire financial system did collapse in 2008; they just forgot to tell the general public about it...
VENIVIDIVICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #1037
VENIVIDIVICI
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Does anyone know the dynamics and the choice between laying off staff vs salary rollbacks?
I am always curious to know why companies will layoff staff who are in core positions rather than cutting salaries across the broad.
I do - Wall Street loves layoffs in good and bad times, doesn't matter. Companies are always content to do more with less. Start thinking as an investor, trader or CEO with tons of share options and what not and that will get you the answer you're looking for. Everything else that's been posted here in response is just a bunch of noise for the little guy to point fingers at...
VENIVIDIVICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #1038
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Does anyone know who SemCAMS bought the Duvernay assets from?
I've heard XTO may be involved. But not 100% sure.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #1039
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post

- Pull job description.
I'd approach it in the same way you outlined as well.

However, asking for a raise in Calgary right now is asinine. I think one needs to have a very sober view of the current market and an understanding that it is very difficult to justify a raise when margins are as compressed as they are and hundreds of people are losing their jobs month to month.

If you have a job right now in Calgary, be thankful, not greedy.

I recently completed a professional designation, and have taken on substantial extra responsibilities at my job. In my mind I am absolutely justified in asking for a substantial raise, but I sure as hell am not going to with things the way they are right now.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #1040
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I manage the managers of the managers and if the managers manager is not managing the management of managing then I would have a big issue there.