Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #61
VENIVIDIVICI
Farm Team Player

Exp:

No, not even close....what's the connection though?!
VENIVIDIVICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #62
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So how long will it take for the job market to stabilize if this is the new reality?

How many people would leave Calgary?
I think and I hope this is the beginning of the end to layoffs. Companies are setting their budget for 2016 based on $50 oil now so they should know how many employees are needed to complete those projects.

Last edited by darklord700; 10-06-2015 at 02:47 PM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #63
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
ha, these are the questions we are all asking.
I'm asking, how the frack do I start a career with a geoscience degree when nobody is hiring and I can't get any experience? Desperately want to have a career, a family, a house and at the moment I don't see those things happening. It doesn't even have to be geoscience, I just need a professional career that isn't labor.

Problem for me is I can't transfer my skills over to another job even though the skills would be transferable in a lot of places, companies just don't see it that way. Had a walkthrough and job shadow, could've done the job no problem but won't get it because I don't have the piece of paper backing it up.

Last edited by AcGold; 10-06-2015 at 02:27 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #64
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

a good friend is a conductor with CN. while the pay is relatively decent, being perpetually on call 364.5 days out of the year and going through constant layoffs, is not a way of life for me.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #65
VENIVIDIVICI
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
You're a member of the League of Shadows, aren't you?
No, not even close, what's the connection though??
VENIVIDIVICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #66
XeO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I'm asking, how the frack do I start a career with a geoscience degree when nobody is hiring and I can't get any experience? Desperately want to have a career, a family, a house and at the moment I don't see those things happening. It doesn't even have to be geoscience, I just need a professional career that isn't labor.

Problem for me is I can't transfer my skills over to another job even though the skills would be transferable in a lot of places, companies just don't see it that way. Had a walkthrough and job shadow, could've done the job no problem but won't get it because I don't have the piece of paper backing it up.
You are right, you probably won't be able to start your career with geoscience. Your degree is too specific and the job market is awful for anything geology related.

However, that doesn't mean this is the end. My dad graduated shortly before the crash in the 80s and he ended up working for H&R Block for two years before landing another job related to his career and he went on to have a full career related to his degree, so don't lose hope.

Your main goal should be to cut your expenses and switch jobs from that labour one you mentioned to something that makes better cash. I know you are already trying to do this. I think you already know what you have to do, you just gotta keep adapting to the market and survive. Remember its only temporary pain, the market will eventually improve!

Last edited by XeO; 10-06-2015 at 02:58 PM.
XeO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XeO For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #67
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I'd be stoked to learn how to drive a train, are you kidding?!
It's about half as hard as a car, no steering wheel.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #68
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hang in there AcGold. My situation was virtually identical to yours, I graduated with a geoscience degree in 1989 when there was absolutely no hiring going on either and I was desperate for any kind of job. It took a few months but eventually I ended up hiring on with a major well servicing company doing wireline logging. Stuck with them for a few years cycling through logging, fraccing, and eventually moving into directional drilling. 25 years later I am still in the O&G business but have never worked a day in my life doing the job I got an education for. But that degree got me in the door initially and let me down this path eventually. It has certainly turned out differently than I first envisioned but it's been a good career for me. You may not end up working in a field directly related to your education but with some luck you will find something and you never know where it will lead.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #69
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
It was not. My grandfather and father worked their whole lives for CP. My dad was a civil engineer and manager on the Transportation Dept at Windsor Station and was sent out to shim rails in Sask during a strike in the mid 90s.
Sounds like your dad being "operations" in nature would have made the strike lists, particularly for track maintenance which requires less skill than driving a train. Indeed "office types" were deployed to far flung parts of Canada during the strike of 2006(ish) to cover track maintenance during the strike.

Conductor training for "office types" is a whole other matter. We're not shovelling sand here, it's serious business here. If I put on my business hat I can appreciate that it is a good idea for strike continuity, but the reality of having Bobby the HR Administrator learning how to safely couple cars in the dead of winter for weeks at a time away from his family (much less actually doing that during a strike) sure doesn't make this job any better for Bobby, especially at a place where you're working full tilt as it is. Maybe it's appealing if you're 22 with no dependents or spouse....

That said, being a conductor might be a good employment route if the work schedule works for you... Here's an AMA from reddit on the matter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jobs/commen...e_over_100k_a/
Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #70
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
It's about half as hard as a car, no steering wheel.
Yeah, Except it's a train!

polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #71
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
a good friend is a conductor with CN. while the pay is relatively decent, being perpetually on call 364.5 days out of the year and going through constant layoffs, is not a way of life for me.
It's apparently not a way of life for this guy either. (Use headphones! Lots of F-bombs). This makes me laugh so hopefully it brings someone a smile.

NSFW!
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #72
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rough numbers from conoco:

100 staff layoffs last week
300 staff layoffs today
100 contractor layoffs today
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #73
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The only recession proof industry is the funeral business.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #74
feist
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Rough numbers from conoco:

100 staff layoffs last week
300 staff layoffs today
100 contractor layoffs today
Just saw that on Reddit thats a lot of people
feist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #75
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The only recession proof industry is the funeral business.
Crime is recession proof, it even increases during a recession. Lawyers, cops etc always steady.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #76
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Crime is recession proof, it even increases during a recession. Lawyers, cops etc always steady.
Now I'm even more bummed!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #77
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I'd be stoked to learn how to drive a train, are you kidding?!
What? Where are you from? Only in old Soviet Russia does driver get stoked by train.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #78
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What? Where are you from? Only in old Soviet Russia does driver get stoked by train.
If for those bullet maglava or some such trains that can get you from cowtown to deadmonton in 20 minutes, I would be pretty stoked too.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #79
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
If for those bullet maglava or some such trains that can get you from cowtown to deadmonton in 20 minutes, I would be pretty stoked too.

No, no, it was a joke about stoking and trains.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #80
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
No, no, it was a joke about stoking and trains.
Haha, in Russia, train stokes you!

I laughed.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote