Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #221
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Since we are talking a bit about AWD some might like this (somewhat dated and rah-rah Subaru) video...

It just seems like those tests were biased in Subaru's favour for no other reason than to make Subaru look good.

You could put my car in that test, which is a 300c with AWD and I would have wiped the floor with everybody else because 30% of power always runs to the front and 70% always runs to the rear. The ratio never changes, but in that test it would have looked like my car is a star. The thing is, the system I have is quite primitive compared to the systems that pass torque around front to back and side to side.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #222
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Is it a big deal to bring in a used car from another province? Will the dealerships have an issue servicing it? Or if it's a certified car from an out-of-province dealer will they bring it into the province for you?

Or can that be used to try and negotiate a better price on a used car?

The cars I'm looking at I'm finding some significantly better deals in Ontario, like a year newer and fewer KMs for less $$.

Shipping the car would be about $1000, how much would the inspections and stuff be to get the car accepted in Alberta?

Do not buy an Ontario car

1. The salt on their road gives cancer (rust) an early start. Even one winter there will begin the process.
  2. A lot of the cheaper Ontario cars were brought in through Qeubec. They are notorious for taknig salavage-titled cars and selling them into Ontario to clean the title.

Dude, if you're willing to do work, buy a G37x from the US. I can find you a 2011 with less than 5,000 miles for under $32K.
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #223
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Interesting about the salt, good to know.

Does that stuff still apply if it's a used car certified by the vendor (i.e. Audi)?

Or if it's got a CarProof history report, does that make sure it doesn't have a shady past?

What about cars from BC?

I'm less enthusiastic about buying cars from the US now, I'm getting a lot of push-back from dealerships when I bring it up (which is somewhat understandable), they're talking about long delays in their service department and stuff.

The Audi A5 is my primary target right now (still have to go test drive), with the Jaguar XF and MB C350 as alternates. I'm still open to the idea of getting a car up from the US, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be a 2nd class citizen at the service department or end up with no warranty coverage at all.

And I wasn't really finding that much a difference between US and Canadian A5's to justify bringing it across.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #224
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a US Audi Q5 and the service is the exact same. Not sure on others, but service is where dealerships make their money so they can't afford to treat anyone as second class.

I am in the market for a G37x and am about to pull the trigger on a nearly-loaded 2011 G37x with 4,500 miles for $29K. That's mid-level accord money up here.
The Following User Says Thank You to THE SCUD For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #225
photon

Exp:

Good to know about Audi, still have all the other stuff to consider (reduced resale value, etc) around a US car, but will take a look at cars down there to see if it's worth the hassle.

What's the cost to bring a car in? GST + the 6.1% tax for stuff not made in NA, plus any shipping obviously, what's the administrative costs? Just want to get a general ballpark so I can look at a car in the US and know if it's worth bringing up (i.e. if it costs $5000 to import a $30,000 A5, and I can buy the same A5 in Canada for $35,000, obviously I'm wasting my time).

Have you had the Q5 into the dealer?

That's definitely a good deal on the G37x, a 2011 G37x here would still be close to $40k.

The guy I talked to at Infiniti said that they will do warranty work on US imports, but that they have to submit the work for approval to the US and that it takes time, and tried to mention a bunch of other benefits you don't get for a US car. Was a sales guy though so of course he wants the sale.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #226
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
What's the cost to bring a car in? GST + the 6.1% tax for stuff not made in NA, plus any shipping obviously, what's the administrative costs? Just want to get a general ballpark so I can look at a car in the US and know if it's worth bringing up (i.e. if it costs $5000 to import a $30,000 A5, and I can buy the same A5 in Canada for $35,000, obviously I'm wasting my time).
Take this FWIW as I did this in 2007, but it is easy and inexpensive to do:

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #227
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Photon, I'm about to import a car myself in the next week.....will report back on the hassle factor!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #228
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with Subaru Outbackk / Forrester?

I have a friend who is looking to purchase a new vehicle and she is almost dead set about Subaru because of the AWD.

I dont know much about Subaru myself other than I was caught off guard by their relatively low price to what I thought they would be..
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #229
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Take this FWIW as I did this in 2007, but it is easy and inexpensive to do:

Thanks, there's another 6.1% in there for me since the car I want isn't made in NA.

Though I save the flight, since I can get a buddy pass
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #230
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Is there a Canadian website that outlines the best model year for a vehicle? I was looking at a 2004 Touareg but was told that it was a horrible year for that particular vehicle due to some engine issues that were design related.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #231
photon

Exp:

How about importing from the eastern US? Like NJ, VA, etc? Or Florida? Any worries about those areas?

I figure if I want to import an A5 I would have to get one for about $33,000 to make it worth my while, and there are some 2010 ones in the east. I'm allocating about $1k for shipping.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #232
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting about the salt, good to know.

Does that stuff still apply if it's a used car certified by the vendor (i.e. Audi)?

Or if it's got a CarProof history report, does that make sure it doesn't have a shady past?

What about cars from BC?
I buy used cars and there are a lot of these rust bucket ON and QC cars being dumped on the Calgary market. It doesn't take my untrained eye 3 seconds to spot one. They always have no paper on history and they have rust in the engine bay and frame.

If the car comes with winter tires only, it's almost guarantee that it's a QC car.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #233
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with Subaru Outbackk / Forrester?

I have a friend who is looking to purchase a new vehicle and she is almost dead set about Subaru because of the AWD.

I dont know much about Subaru myself other than I was caught off guard by their relatively low price to what I thought they would be..
I heard that the Forrester isn't allowed... at least I think it was that model. I had a friend that told me his aunt did that but was denied and had to bring it back to Subaru and exchange models. Again this is hearsay but maybe just some potential FYI.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #234
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe with Forrester you have to pay import duties on, due to it being manufactured overseas. The Outback is manufactured in NA and therefore not subject to import duties. This may be incorrect now but was true back when I was looking into importing a Subaru about 4 years ago.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #235
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone ever driven one of these new to n.america Golf R's? Apparently has more horsepower than the GTi and comes equipped with AWD.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #236
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How about importing from the eastern US? Like NJ, VA, etc? Or Florida? Any worries about those areas?

I figure if I want to import an A5 I would have to get one for about $33,000 to make it worth my while, and there are some 2010 ones in the east. I'm allocating about $1k for shipping.
I bought my first Audi, an '09 A4, from NJ - it was good. The cars are definitely cheaper on the east coast. Cost me about $900 to ship to WA state. Fly to Van, drive across, collect car, pay GST/Duty - get inspected, get registered. Pretty easy process.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #237
photon

Exp:

Nice, yeah there's a number of ones out there that would be good.

I've decided on the 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo engine, and that's a bit more difficult to find, most of them are the 3.2 V6. But from what I read, the 2.0T has more torque at a lower RPM and of course weighs less, so other than pure 0-60 and 1/4 mile #'s the difference in daily driving is nil and you get better fuel economy.

I've avoided turbos in the past because I'm paranoid about high maintenance costs, but I'm probably going to get an extended warranty in either case.

Now just have to hear from the bank.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #238
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The 2.0T feels way faster than it is, which makes it a great daily driver.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #239
photon

Exp:

And I can chip it if I ever really want more oomph.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up...sivl_long.html
Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #240
chummer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know about Audi, still have all the other stuff to consider (reduced resale value, etc) around a US car, but will take a look at cars down there to see if it's worth the hassle.

Have you had the Q5 into the dealer?

That's definitely a good deal on the G37x, a 2011 G37x here would still be close to $40k.

The guy I talked to at Infiniti said that they will do warranty work on US imports, but that they have to submit the work for approval to the US and that it takes time, and tried to mention a bunch of other benefits you don't get for a US car. Was a sales guy though so of course he wants the sale.

That is not true Photon.I bought a new EX35 in Arizona and it needed some warranty work done(navi. upgrade)so I called the service manager(Ken) at Hyatt.He just needed the VIN number to validate the warranty and this is a one time thing.I had the warranty work done without any problems whatsoever.

I saved over 10 k by buying in the States.A lot of it is getting to know the process,I would not hesitate to do it again.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote