Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Flames The Flames greatly improved team defense

Im sorry for cluttering up the forum with yet another thread but with the outrage to this trade i think i should make it. I am absolutely thrilled with this trade. Our biggest weakness is our team defense i think that is no secret. Ferland and Hamilton were good players but defense wasn't their strong suit (especially not for Hamilton). We added 2 great 2 way players. Hanafin i think everyone can agree is already better defensively than Hamilton and we add a great 2-way forward in Lindholm who will really help team defense.
Lots of people were ok with trading Hamilton for other young Right wingers like Nylander or Marner 1 for 1. Imagine what a big hole that woulve made for us on defense. Except in this trade we got the young RW (who is also great defensively) with a little less offense than those other guys we hoped for but more importantly we got another young stud Dman so we are left with no hole on defense.
This trade should really help us next year in the defensive department and we finally got that young RW for the top line.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Could this not have just gone in the trade thread? lol
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iLoveLamp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'd like to suggest waiting until february or so before making any kind of judgement
Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of +/- Hanifin is -20 last season, -53 career, Lindholm is a career -70. Now plus minus is not a stat that shows everything but it doesn’t show them as the defensive masterminds.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
etc
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Hanifin was expendable to Carolina. Dougie was our #2D. Hanifin's weakness is actually turnovers and and not great in his own zone. Was mentioned in the other thread that he was surpassed by D men in his own draft class.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

The OP is simply not true.

You don't trade the NHL defenceman goal scoring leader for a prospect and claim the D is better. You don't break up the #1 possession pairing in the league and say the team is better.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/03/30/g...bove-the-rest/

Quote:
But Giordano and Hamilton haven’t just spent a lot of time with one another, they’ve excelled together. For a second straight year they’ve posted the league’s top possession rate as a pairing, and have actually boosted it a couple points from last year’s 56.6%. Without heavily tailored offensive minutes, all these two guys have done is drive play this season
Old 06-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Im sorry for cluttering up the forum with yet another thread but with the outrage to this trade i think i should make it. I am absolutely thrilled with this trade. Our biggest weakness is our team defense i think that is no secret. Ferland and Hamilton were good players but defense wasn't their strong suit (especially not for Hamilton). We added 2 great 2 way players. Hanafin i think everyone can agree is already better defensively than Hamilton and we add a great 2-way forward in Lindholm who will really help team defense.
Lots of people were ok with trading Hamilton for other young Right wingers like Nylander or Marner 1 for 1. Imagine what a big hole that woulve made for us on defense. Except in this trade we got the young RW (who is also great defensively) with a little less offense than those other guys we hoped for but more importantly we got another young stud Dman so we are left with no hole on defense.
This trade should really help us next year in the defensive department and we finally got that young RW for the top line.

I think it was more a problem of scoring than team defense.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

You don't trade the NHL defenceman goal scoring leader for a prospect and claim the D is better. You don't break up the #1 possession pairing in the league and say the team is better.

Plus they were a mentally weak team that repeated folded like a cheap carpet.

Yippee skippee they were #1 on average, that doesn’t address their ability to stabilize high pressure situations and/or lock down games like the Vegas collapse at home or other situations where they were noticeably out of sorts.

This trade both addresses some of those concerns with the added bonus of both players familiarity with a new coach.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we vastly improved the second pair with Hanifin-Hamonic. If Gio-Brodie can return tonform our blueline is going to be better.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At least we can reunite Gio and Brodie, who, if I am remembering right, had similar articles?
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The Gio-Brodie pairing was a similar story. The common link is Gio, who might still be the Flames best player. Let's hope he is timeless...
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

This trade works out great if a) he gels with Hamonic and b) Brodie has a resurgence on the RD with Gio.

I would trade Stone and let the kids Valimaki and Andersson be sheltered on the third pair. Kulak is a utility guy.

Sign or trade for a RW or C. Figure out which of Johnny, Tkachuk, Bennett, Dube or Mangiapane can be converted to RW.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #13
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

KC, disagree.

Remember when Giordano and Brodie were rated top amongst the league?
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...895/story.html

See a common denominator? Gio absolutely covered for Hamilton defensively which allowed him to play forward. Brodie’s slight regression can be traced the same.

Hamilton didn’t kill penalties. He took some bad ones. It took the Flames promising to sign his brother to be his keeper when he got here to get him, and then booting his brother and roomate of town to get him to pick up his season this year. But my guess he wasnt happy about that.

Hanifin is younger and had the same points at this point in his career as Hamilton did. He’s played under the new coach. Proof will be in the pudding and he’s got to prove it but I thinks he’s going to be more stable down the line then Hamilton on and off the ice.

Hamilton has the natural skill and talent and of course size, but doesn’t seem to have the mental side figured out...that’s now two teams that have figured that out.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #14
Housley4Prez
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
See a common denominator? Gio absolutely covered for Hamilton defensively which allowed him to play forward. Brodie’s slight regression can be traced the same.
I totally agree with you, in that Brodie being back with Gio is an improvement (or at least should be). I also suspect Hamilton will fall off the map in a few years.

But, Brodie's regression was far more than "slight".
Old 06-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think team defense has definitely improved.

Straight up, neither Hamilton nor Hanifin are shut down guys in their current forms, but I look at it this way:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic

is better defensively than:

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic

Also, Lindholm is a significant improvement defensively, over Ferland. He will also strengthen in the team in the FO circle.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote