Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #41
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

You guys are seriously under rating Fox. At WORST he's worth a second round pick, even with his current signing issues. He's not a throw in. I mean christ, Tim fkn Erixon got a roster player and 2 seconds by Jay fkn Feaster.

But yeah, let's pretend adding one of the NCAA's top rated dmen isn't a big deal.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #42
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by innercliff View Post
refresh the post after 2018-2019 season.. Flames needed a change and Tre did it..
Agree let's see how this plays out
Old 06-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #43
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
There is an eye test. I love Hamilton and sad to see him go. However, did you not notice how horrid he looked when playing with d pattners not named Gio?
Likewise, there's an eyetest here too:

1) Treliving traded major organizational assets for Hamilton
2) Treliving has stated over interviews the value of handedness among defenseman
3) Treliving coddled Hamilton by trading for his brother and carried his dead weight for 2 seasons
4) Hamilton finally emerges as a great offensive defenseman, being a goal and point leader
5) Treliving then not only trades away Hamilton, but includes two major organizational assets in doing so

All within 3 years. How is mine any less informed than yours? I haven't commented about the locker room or made unproven accusations about Hamilton unable to play without Giordano. Did Hamilton not play well in Boston?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #44
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but as time passes I'm liking this trade more and more. Losing Fox sucks but he wasn't a guarantee anyway.
Atodaso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atodaso For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #45
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think this was a great trade. Picked up 2 fifth overall picks in their draft years. I will miss Ferly, but I believe we have picked up two quality hockey players who obviously were very highly thought of by their former coach Peters.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #46
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
You guys are seriously under rating Fox. At WORST he's worth a second round pick, even with his current signing issues. He's not a throw in. I mean christ, Tim fkn Erixon got a roster player and 2 seconds by Jay fkn Feaster.

But yeah, let's pretend adding one of the NCAA's top rated dmen isn't a big deal.
Yup, face value can't be ignored. If this was the 2020 1st pick, people would be jumping out windows. The Flames are not only short picks, but they also significantly weakened their prospect depth.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Ferland doesn't have a ton of worth, certainly not worth Lindholm. That's why Fox was included. We didnt' give away Fox for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yup, face value can't be ignored. If this was the 2020 1st pick, people would be jumping out windows. The Flames are not only short picks, but they also significantly weakened their prospect depth.

Flames have really good back end prospect depth and this trade didn't hurt that much.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #48
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone, let’s wait and see. You really can’t judge a trade the day it’s made.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #49
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Ferland doesn't have a ton of worth, certainly not worth Lindholm. That's why Fox was included. We didnt' give away Fox for nothing.

Flames have really good back end prospect depth and this trade didn't hurt that much.
Yeah? So Hamilton/Hanifin is a wash then? Because it's not.

Hamilton/Ferland for Hanifin/Lindholm is marginal, but digestable. Adding Fox is gross.

Not to start a whole new debate on the fire Treliving thread but we added WAY more than we should have.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #50
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Clearly dealing Hamilton is an indication that Treliving did not properly read the tea leaves in respect to the player, but admission of a mistake and exhibiting a willingness to take corrective actions is a positive trait for a manager to have. Too many times teams are hamstrung by GMS making decisions designed to justify questionable actions. It's understandable, these guys have highly coveted occupations, which can be extinguished with a single mistake. Self preservation compels actions designed to cover deficient decisions.

Hamilton is clearly a talent, and the Flames gave him an environment to succeed. They gave him minutes with Giordano, they brought in his brother to carry his bags, but in the end there are still some serious warts in his game. Sure the Flames could continue to use resources to support and build Hamilton's game, but Treliving brought him in to be a bulwark on D and by most appearances that has not transpired as planned.

Maybe getting dealt again lights a fire under his tush, but Treliving has decided to admit a mistake and move on. Kudos to him. I feel much better with "that" guy calling the shots than someone who routinely operates in a fashion designed to cover the pile in the cat box.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah? So Hamilton/Hanifin is a wash then? Because it's not.

Hamilton/Ferland for Hanifin/Lindholm is marginal, but digestable. Adding Fox is gross.

Not to start a whole new debate on the fire Treliving thread but we added WAY more than we should have.

Who do you think Fox is? He's a prospect who hasn't even shown he can play in the NHL yet. And somehow trading him is the be all end all.
You're acting like we traded two Hamilton's for a bag of pucks.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #52
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Not sure if this was mentioned. So Waddell said they have been working on it for 3-4 weeks, decided today to either finalize something or look other directions

Sounded like a trade for the sake of a trade driven by the new owner, who wanted a culture change. Recognized they gave up good assets for a return that makes them better now (with league leading offensive D) and in the future

I think Tre made a very good trade today, that can quickly turn in to a great one
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #53
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Who do you think Fox is? He's a prospect who hasn't even shown he can play in the NHL yet. And somehow trading him is the be all end all.
You're acting like we traded two Hamilton's for a bag of pucks.
I'm actually acting like Fox is more than a throw in, which was my original comment.

Read my posts again if you don't understand what I'm getting at.

The sum of what we gave up is greater than the sum of the return if you still don't understand me.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #54
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

And if he won’t sign or wants to finish his degree what’s that worth?

Can you think for a second that perhaps you don’t have all of the information?

This reaffirms my faith in Treliving. The Flames were mentally weak last year and change was required.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #55
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post

This reaffirms my faith in Treliving. The Flames were mentally weak last year and change was required.
If you think that's what's occurring, you trade him, even this summer. You don't just toss him into a deal that's already pretty steep.

If "that's what it takes" to get the deal done, you walk away from the deal and look for something else around the league.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #56
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy, we traded Dougie for a 23 year old forward with four straight 39+ point seasons and a 21 year old D with at least as much upside as Hamilton.

And all we gave up was Dougie, Ferland (good luck to whoever pays Ferland more than $2M) and an undersized offensive college D that is redundant given the types of defenders we have in the system and the big club.

We never won a playoff game in three years with Hamilton; it's not like Tre traded him for Stajan, White, Hagman and Mayers.

Johnny-Sean-Lindholm
3M
Bennett-Jankowski-Shore
Eat Bread-Dube-Brouwer
Hathaway

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Spoon

Smith
Rittich
Gillies

This looks like a good year to go back to law school.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #57
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post

You mean a year from now? Likely less value.

Right now? As in today? Much more. At the very least more than what we got.

This isn't rocket appliances. If someone has better math as far as the sum of the trade by all means have at er. I'm all ears.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #58
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Oh boy, we traded Dougie for a 23 year old forward with four straight 39+ point seasons and a 21 year old D with at least as much upside as Hamilton.

And all we gave up was Dougie, Ferland (good luck to whoever pays Ferland more than $2M) and an undersized offensive college D that is redundant given the types of defenders we have in the system and the big club.

We never won a playoff game in three years with Hamilton; it's not like Tre traded him for Stajan, White, Hagman and Mayers.

Johnny-Sean-Lindholm
3M
Bennett-Jankowski-Shore
Eat Bread-Dube-Brouwer
Hathaway

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Spoon

Smith
Rittich
Gillies

This looks like a good year to go back to law school.
I agreed with everything up to the 3M line.. there is no way that should be a thing. We need to stop anchoring Tkachuk and give him his own line.

Tkachuk-Jankowski-FA/Trade
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Shore-Foo
Hathaway/Brouwer
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #59
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I agreed with everything up to the 3M line.. there is no way that should be a thing. We need to stop anchoring Tkachuk and give him his own line.

Tkachuk-Jankowski-FA/Trade
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Bennett

Give Sam a chance to thrive too.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #60
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Bennett