Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #761
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I know all the talk is about putting Lindholm on the top line, and they will no doubt give that a try, but I can't help thinking that he would be a fantastic match for Backlund.

I know that Backlund/Frolik has been a pair for a couple years, but one has to wonder if Frolik's play will start to fade. Also, as great as the line has been, I think the team really needs to get Tkachuk onto a separate line in order to spread out the offense.

So what I am thinking is:

Gaudreau - Monahan - UFA
Bennett - Jankowski - Tkachuk
Mangiapane/Dube - Backlund - Lindholm
Frolik - Shore - Lazar

I've kind of had the same designs. It's not that I don't think Frolik can't play top 9, but he's exactly the kind of guy you want on your fourth line kind of pulling their play up. He had success on Chicago's fourth line and they won a cup that year, so it's not even unprecedented.

Lineupwise, I suppose what I'd be looking at would be similar to you, but I would be thinking:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Eatbread'd have to learn RW on the fly, but he's definitely one of the few guys we can expect to pick up as a sniper where Ferland left off.

Lindholm-Backlund-Jankowski

Two pass first guys and a guy who can really wire it in Jankowski. All solid two-way players. All guys who can take draws in the defensive zone without embarassing themselves and fluidly rotate center responsibilities based on situation. I have Lindholm and Janko on their off wings to get a few one-timers off.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Czarnik

It seems most disagree with me but I've seen more I like about Bennett's game at center than I have about his partner in crime last year, although I'm still a huge fan of Jankowski I think Bennett has more to offer there. Czarnik is the kind of UFA that could really break out as a star forward with the right linemates and Tkachuk of course is Tkachuk.

Frolik-Shore-Foo/Lazar/Brouwer

Frolik and Shore carry the RW who is playing the best hockey.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-24-2018 at 12:32 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #762
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/748057
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #763
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Offer sheet Mark Stone

Gaudreau - Monahan - Stone
Tkachuk - Janko - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Mangiapane - Lazar - Foo

Gio - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Stone - Andersson
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #764
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't have the picks to offer sheet Mark Stone IIRC
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #765
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the thing, regardless of what other moves Tre makes the biggest thing that can happen for this team going forward is for Sam Bennett to break out and become the player we thought we were getting. If that happens that is just a huge huge boost to this team. Jankowski also to a lesser extent but if Bennett breaks out we are really improved.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #766
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Here is the thing, regardless of what other moves Tre makes the biggest thing that can happen for this team going forward is for Sam Bennett to break out and become the player we thought we were getting. If that happens that is just a huge huge boost to this team. Jankowski also to a lesser extent but if Bennett breaks out we are really improved.
Yup, that would really make a world of difference.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #767
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm really excited about our young core group of forwards: Gaudreau (24), Monahan (23), Tkachuk (20), Lindholm (23), Jankowski (23) and Bennett (22).

They bring an interesting mix of skill, speed, size and pestiness. I think I'm also a bigger fan of Lindholm and Bennett than most and think they have way more to give. If they both take steps forward, that is a ridiculous top 6 we can build around.

Backlund locks in as our shut down center. Then we just have to fill out the bottom 6. If some of our guys like Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Klimchuk and Phillips develop well, we can be pretty well set up for many years.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #768
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, so just going with what we have as of right now, with estimates on RFAs

Hanifin - $5,000,000
Lindholm - $5,000,000
Jankowski - $1,500,000
Shore - $825,000
Hathaway - $715,000
Kulak - $925,000
Rittich - $725,000 (same for Gillies)

1. Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
2. Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
3. Bennett - Jankowski - Foo
4. Mangiapane - Shore - Lazar
Extra - Brouwer, Hathaway

1. Giordano - Brodie
2. Hanifin - Hamonic
3. Kulak - Stone
Extra - Andersson

1. Smith
2. Rittich

Total Cap - $72,087,543
Cap Space - $7,412,457

So still lots of room to do some more adding, with potential to clear out even more room by trading Stone (to make room for Rasmus) or buying out/trading Brouwer.

Of course, trading Stone seems really unlikely now as we just dealt two RHD from the organization today, dealing a third doesn't seem like something Treliving would do.

That bottom six is FULL of youth and question marks.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #769
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I'm really excited about our young core group of forwards: Gaudreau (24), Monahan (23), Tkachuk (20), Lindholm (23), Jankowski (23) and Bennett (22).

They bring an interesting mix of skill, speed, size and pestiness. I think I'm also a bigger fan of Lindholm and Bennett than most and think they have way more to give. If they both take steps forward, that is a ridiculous top 6 we can build around.

Backlund locks in as our shut down center. Then we just have to fill out the bottom 6. If some of our guys like Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Klimchuk and Phillips develop well, we can be pretty well set up for many years.
I'm with you, there's a lot to be excited about
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:30 PM   #770
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

1. Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
2. Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
3. Bennett - Jankowski - Foo
4. Mangiapane - Shore - Lazar
Extra - Brouwer, Hathaway

1. Giordano - Brodie
2. Hanifin - Hamonic
3. Kulak - Stone
Extra - Andersson

1. Smith
2. Rittich
Using your current roster makeup:

Current Projected Flames Roster by Position Drafted
(NHL draft blueprint)

Forwards

1. 4th rnd - 6th OV - 5th OV
2. 6th OV - 24th OV - 10th OV
3. 4th OV - 21st OV - FA
4. 6th rnd - 3rd rnd - 17th OV
Extras - 7th rnd, FA

Defensemen

1. FA - 4th rnd
2. 5th OV - 2nd rnd
3. 4th rnd - 3rd rnd
Extra - 2nd rnd
*Top prospect (close to ready): 16th OV

Goalies
1. 5th rnd
2. FA
3. 3rd rnd
4. 2nd rnd

FA = free agent signing
Old 06-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #771
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone or Andersson probably traded
Quality #1RW acquired for the second line

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-big time acquisition (Nino/Perry type)
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Frolik
Mangiapane-Shore-Foo
Brouwer/Lazar

Brodano
HanHam
Kulak-Andersson/Stone
Hopefully Wotherspoon but probably an FA

Smith
Rittich
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #772
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to see this:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Bennett

Compared to Lindholm and Jankowski, Bennett is the least effective centre of that group, move him to the wing. Bennett is most effective when he is let loose, less defensive responsibility is better for him. Bennett will also provide some protection for Gaudreau on that line that Ferland provided. Bennett is getting a reputation as a tough customer in the league and you need that element with Gaudreau. We also have seen some flashes of chemistry between Gaudreau and Bennett.

Tkachuk/Lindholm/ UFA signing or Lazar or Foo

Lindholm has expressed his desire to play centre over wing, he's good on faceoffs, is the classic Swedish two way centremen, I hope Peters doesn't get too stubborn here with his preference for Lindholm on the wing. Lindholm also has the best faceoff percentage of all the Flames centres. Tkachuk needs to play with more offensive players. I think he and Lindholm will be great at cycling the puck. There’s a bit of a hole on the right side and might need a veteran signing but it’s pretty bleak for scoring RWers. I personally think Foo will be a good fit but it’s hard to know with young players. Lazar is kind of the default if the other two options don’t turn out. The alternative to this is Lindholm at RW with Jankowski at centre.

Frolik/Backlund/Browuer or Shore or Lazar

If they don’t buy out Brouwer, put him here. Backlund and Frolik are so good together, it doesn’t matter who they put with him; they are use to playing shorthanded anyways so it’s not much difference. Brouwer can at least provide some size to this line if needed. Ideally, they get rid of Brouwer and have Shore or Lazar here instead. This is the shutdown line.

Mangiapane/Jankowksi/Hathaway

I don’t want them to run a plug fourth line. Put a scoring kid line out there instead. These 3 showed great chemistry in the AHL last year. Let them run together here. In close tight games, you can cut their icetime back. Jankowski and Mangiapane can also get some PP time, and Jankowski and Hathaway can get some PK time. If they have Jankowski with Tkachuk and Lindholm, then this line kind of comes apart. Shore centres Lazar and Hathaway for an energy line and Mangiapane marinates a bit more in the AHL.

As for the defense, the top 4 are set, Kulak and Andersson rotate in and out and Stone is the constant. Stone plays right side with Kulak and left side with Andersson.

I think the Flames actually need a 1B in goal. Smith will get injured and I don't know that Rittich and Gillies are ready to carry a number one load when that happens. I wouldn't mind Lehner at the right price, but Hutton seems to be the popular choice of posters here. The Avs just acquired Grubauer and Bernier was decent for them last year, that might be an option.

Last edited by 868904; 06-24-2018 at 11:49 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #773
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I'm kind of ok if Tre stops now, and trades Stone to Ottawa for something like the 2019 2nd. The two main things that I really want to see is Backlund mentoring two up and coming wingers instead of the 3M line again, and Frolik stabilizing another line. People are forgetting the might of Hogstrom.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Foo
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Frolik
Mangiapane - Shore - Lazar
Hathaway

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Hogstrom

Smith
Rittich

I would like to point out that the lines are not numbered and don't indicate ice-time. Also, that PP time is going to look much much different this year.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #774
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I agree with 868904 when it comes to putting Bennett on the top line, at least to start the season.

I don't know much about Lindholm's play, but having read up on his preference for playing centre, his stats, and watching some of his highlights, I think he's a player more likely to help push Monahan to 40 goals rather than being a goal scorer in his own right. I also think the top line needs the physical presence that Ferland had, and Bennett at least brings the bang and crash. It really should also be a make or break season for him: if he can't replace Ferland's production on the top line, I think the Flames are going to have to accept he's just not the player they thought they were drafting.

I also really like the idea of spreading the talent around the remaining 3 forward lines - almost like having 3 lines of similar quality, especially if Jankowski can take a step. Lots of options for mixing and matching between these lines too.

Still missing a goal scoring winger though. It remains a glaring hole on this roster unfortunately, and scoring by committee hasn't worked in the Flames' favor. Still, with a new coach and some young players coming up, it likely makes more sense to stand pat until we see what the Flames have in training camp, then look to address this missing piece during the season if necessary.

I'm pretty happy with the goaltending situation as it stands, and would maybe look for a more experienced backup around the trade deadline if they're in good playoff position.

In a way, I almost feel the team has gone back in time a couple of years in the rebuild - to a roster with more potential and uncertainty. Hopefully it plays out well early in the season and the team doesn't continue the play of the last couple of years.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #775
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Peter's interview yesterday, he thinks Lindholm can start as 1st line RW and take the right circle faceoffs while Monahan takes the other two faceoff spots.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #776
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waive Brouwer.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - lindholm
Klimchuk - Jankowski - Frolik
Lazar - Shore - Foo

Brodie - Giordano
Hanifin - Hamonic
Stone - Andersson
Kulak

Smith
Rittich

I wouldn't mind seeing $ thrown to improve 3rd line or goalie situation.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #777
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a buyout window? If not see ya Brouwer...the 1.5 for 4 years would be worth it
Old 06-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #778
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buy out Brouwer
Stone to Philly for Weal, 2019 4th
Sign JVR, 6 years $7m AAV

The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #779
Bongsong
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like mine better

<iframe src="https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/embed/750870" id="iframe" class="frame" height="1587px" width="100%" scrolling="yes" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Bongsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 AM   #780
Bongsong
Backup Goalie

Exp:

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (14)
Right wing: J. Pageau ($3,100,000) - M. Tkachuk ($925,000) - T. Vanek ($3,000,000) - M. Frk ($2,300,000) - G. Hathaway ($800,000)
Centre: S. Monahan ($6,375,000) - E. Lindholm ($5,000,000) - M. Backlund ($5,350,000) - N. Shore ($1,250,000) - C. Lazar ($950,000)
Left wing: J. Gaudreau ($6,750,000) - S. Bennett ($1,950,000) - M. Jankowski ($3,250,000) - M. Frolík ($4,300,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: T. Brodie ($4,650,400) - T. Hamonic ($3,857,143) - R. Andersson ($755,833)
Left: M. Giordano ($6,750,000) - N. Hanifin ($5,000,000) - B. Kulak ($1,250,000) - T. Wotherspoon ($1,250,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
M. Smith ($4,250,000) - C. Anderson ($4,750,000)

BUYOUTS
L. Bouma ($766,667) - R. Murphy ($137,500)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $79,500,000
Cap Hit: $78,717,543
Cap Space: $782,457
Bongsong is offline   Reply With Quote