Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flights to Hawaii - Advice for a first timer

My inlaws have decided that the whole family (8 adults and 4 kids 5 years old and under) are going to Hawaii on vacation next January. They're paying for accommodations, but we need to find our own way there.

I'm far from an experienced world traveller and am virtually clueless when it comes to finding good deals on flights. I don't think it's been decided which island we'll be headed to, but our family will be departing from Calgary.

1. What's a good price for a return flight between Calgary and Hawaii (with or without connections, I don't really have a preference)? My wife found a flight right now with WJ through Vancouver for just under $1000 per person, return, all in.

2. Who should we be flying with? I've been burned by Air Canada before on short trips...

3. When is the best time to book the flight? I have an aunt and uncle that fly all over the place on vacation but they leave last minute. Basically, they pick a week or two to go on vacation and don't decide where they're going until they find the best deal at the last minute. Because we need to coordinate our trip with a bunch of other people, I'm really uncomfortable waiting until the last minute to make a booking like that.

4. Is there a time of day or part of the week when airlines make deals available? I've heard that Thursday nights at 2am (or something stupid like that) Air Canada dumps a bunch of cheap fares online that are usually only available for a few minutes. Is this true?

5. Should I be making all of these arrangements myself or is it better/easier to involve a travel agent? Are travel agents able to get better deals than the Average Joe? Would a group our size be eligible for any kind of group rate discounts?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
flamesflames444
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would start looking a few months in advance. Kayak.com is prob the best site for comparing prices.. you can search based on numerous parameters - ie length of trip, specific airlines, # of stops, etc etc.

A really good deal would be $600 all in, but you may have to connect in Denver, Phoenix or LA. We are headed to Maui in a few weeks and paid $610 all in direct on Air Canada which is probably as good as it gets for a direct flight.
flamesflames444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesflames444 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Cmyden's travel map at yycdeals.com once it gets back up and running!!! Breaks everything down for you and tells you if it's a good deal or to wait.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen flights for $590 with layovers in Vancouver. That's probably about as low as it goes.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good price is $450 before tax but that isnt durring high season.

Options from Calgary durring that time should be

Air Canada: YYC-YVR-HNL
Air Canada: YYC-HNL (Seasonal Direct) - only 3-4 days/week - best option
Westjet: YYC-YVR-HNL
Westjet: YYC-HNL (Seasonal Direct)
US Airways: YYC-PHX-HNL
United Airlines: YYC-SFO/DEN-HNL
Alaska Airlines: YYC-SEA-HNL
Delta Airlines: YYC-SLC-HNL

Last year middle of November I was able to get a flight on AC Direct for $478+tax

I have never flown durring high season so I dont really know what a good price would be. If you can I would try booking with Aeroplan personally.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've booked a couple flights to Hawaii in the past... just used expedia/travelocity (i forget which) for both.

If you're not completely set on the dates you need to leave/return, typically Thursdays are a bit cheaper... it also depends on the time of the year - this past January my wife and I went, and to fly Saturday - Saturday was $900 more than to go Friday - Friday. So even though our condo was a Saturday - Saturday stay, it was cheaper to go & return a day early and pay for a night in a hotel than to just stick with Sat-Sat.

As far as airlines - United/Continental I've found to be the cheapest, but you do kind of get what you pay for... ballpark pricing should be in the $800 range; if you can find it below that take it & run with it imo. (We paid $800 the first time, $900 the second - it was a more popular week to go (New Years))
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Get the alaska airlines mastercard. You get a coupon for buy one flight get another for $99. The Hawaii route always pays back the best. You can actually use it first class too.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
A good price is $450 before tax but that isnt durring high season.

Options from Calgary durring that time should be

Air Canada: YYC-YVR-HNL
Air Canada: YYC-HNL (Seasonal Direct) - only 3-4 days/week - best option
Westjet: YYC-YVR-HNL
Westjet: YYC-HNL (Seasonal Direct)
US Airways: YYC-PHX-HNL
United Airlines: YYC-SFO/DEN-HNL
Alaska Airlines: YYC-SEA-HNL
Delta Airlines: YYC-SLC-HNL

Last year middle of November I was able to get a flight on AC Direct for $478+tax

I have never flown durring high season so I dont really know what a good price would be. If you can I would try booking with Aeroplan personally.
Which is all great if the OP is going to HNL, but OGG might be the better airport. Taking an inter-island flight when you don't have to sucks.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you collect Air Miles?

We booked through Air Miles for our trip coming up within the next several weeks. Flying with Air Canada, I believe. We only have to pay for the taxes and junk like that. We wouldn't be going if it weren't for Air Miles. It covered our flight, car rental and hotel too (didn't expect to book a room with Air Miles, so that was a pleasant surprise).

We couldn't use Air Miles for the inter-island flights, so I did that on my own. Pretty easy. Hawaiian Air is really the only good choice.

When we went back in 2004 we used a travel agent. It was all done for us. I'm not sure I'd do that again. They'll get you the best price available during the day you are sitting across the desk from them. If you book it yourself you can shop around from day to day and hopefully get lucky enough to catch some sweet seat sales. We did this when we went to Las Vegas.

What Island are you staying on? You can fly directly into Oahu pretty much anytime. You can fly directly to Hawaii (the big island), or Maui (or so I've heard) but there is less flights available to do so.

Layovers aren't bad, but I'm not yet sure the way to go when you are travelling with kids. We'll be taking our youngest kid with us as she is too young to leave home. So when I go I'll let you know how it worked out. Our flight to Hawaii is direct, but we have a layover on the way home.

Have you ever been to Hawaii? It's freakin' awesome!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

my folks went down to hawaii at this time last year

the flights were around $1400 return for the two of them (they flew out of kelowna)
they went westjet and had no problems
for booking flights - they booked well in advance. i asked my dad about flight pricing and he said that they just checked a lot (well in advance) and were amazed at how prices continuously fluctuated. they did find that if you departed on a tuesday or wednesday that the flights were usually cheaper
they did not use a travel agent.

they are already planning another trip for the same time you are traveling.... this time stopping in mexico first, then onto hawaii... so if you see a white guy in his late 60's wearing runners with dark socks pulled up just below his knees, red shorts, a bright yellow t shirt and a 'gilligan' hat (with his wife trying to hide becuz of his AWESOME fashion sense) - go say hi to my folks!!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Which is all great if the OP is going to HNL, but OGG might be the better airport. Taking an inter-island flight when you don't have to sucks.
OP says Hawaii, not Maui

Default airport for Hawaii would be HNL not OGG especially for first time with kids

But same info would still apply as all airlines indicated fly to both HNL and OGG direct or via CNXs
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

On another note are you staying at a hotel or renting a house. When we went we rented and had about the same number of people and it was awesome. Our own pool and tons of room. we were a block from the beach and on the same block as the place Obama rented when he was there. That was cool.

This is the place. A little tacky furniture but otherwise awesome.

http://oahu.bluekailuavacationrental...hiatthale.html

http://www.google.ca/search?aq=f&gcx...+house+rentals
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
On another note are you staying at a hotel or renting a house. When we went we rented and had about the same number of people and it was awesome. Our own pool and tons of room. we were a block from the beach and on the same block as the place Obama rented when he was there. That was cool.

This is the place. A little tacky furniture but otherwise awesome.

http://oahu.bluekailuavacationrental...hiatthale.html

http://www.google.ca/search?aq=f&gcx...+house+rentals
Not hotels. We're getting a little house or condo. Can't remember which.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
Bongo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Try using www.kayak.com
It searches multiple cheap fare sites and airline sites for the best deals. There is quite a bit of flexibility for departure/arrival times and number of lay overs and some other stuff.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
OP says Hawaii, not Maui

Default airport for Hawaii would be HNL not OGG especially for first time with kids

But same info would still apply as all airlines indicated fly to both HNL and OGG direct or via CNXs
If we are talking islands, HNL is on Oahu, not the island of Hawaii, so who knows where they are going.

There are more flights from YYC to OGG than HNL, so it is a safe guess that someone would probably be going to Maui. No clue why you wouldn't want to go there for the first time with kids, my plane a couple months ago was full of the screaming little rotters.

OP, if you're flying direct on Westjet, not that the aircraft they lease for that route suck and are nowhere near the standard of their regular fleet. If the hop through YVR is a bit cheaper you might actually want to consider that as you'll be more comfortable while on the plane.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

One note, if you do end up looking at a non-stop flight from YYC-Hawaii I would strongly suggest you do not book with Westjet. The last two years they have chartered a 757 to operate those flights. The problem is if that airplane has any sort of mechanical issue you could be looking at big delays. Which could include not getting to Hawaii in the first place (and losing precious vacation time). This just happened again this year near the end of January, a lot of very unhappy folks.

Whereas Air Canada has plenty of 767's and options to get you to Hawaii with their Star Alliance partners should anything come up with your aircraft.

Edit: One more thing: DO NOT connect through LAX. Avoid it at all costs, not worth the hassle.

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-02-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This just happened again this year near the end of January, a lot of very unhappy folks.
Say hello to one of them. The cabin pressure system was having issues and we had to turn around and go back to YYC (no 757 Westjet maintenance crews at YVR). 7am flight departed at 4pm. We were supposed to get to Hawaii before noon and have an afternoon at the beach, instead, showed up in the dark and went to bed.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Brotato
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll be following this thread with great interest. I am going in the 'low' season to Kauai (October) in the same scenario as the OP. My Inlaws have bought a place there and we just have to make our way there.

Any suggestions for an October 2012 flight to Kauai?
Brotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

The condo we're staying at is on Kauai though I think we're going to spend a few days over on Oahu checking out Pearl Harbor and such.

Thanks for everyone that recommended Kayak.com. Great tool. Can't believe I didn't know about it already.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went roundtrip YVR to OGG in October 2010 for $600 all in with WestJet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , hawaii , idiot abroad , noob traveller