Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 02-14-2024, 01:35 PM   #1
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames "Flames don't want trade deadline to define season" w/ Interesting Coleman quote

Credit to Saillias in the New Jersey thread but think this actually needs it's own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Interesting quote from Coleman in Julian Mckenzie's latest Athletic article.

https://theathletic.com/5265848/2024...nev-markstrom/

“We moved a couple of pieces now that were pretty vocal about not wanting to be here,” Coleman said. “I think once you eliminate that, the noise at this point, it’s not really affecting us. The guys that the noise is around, they’re competitors. They want to win here, they want to win wherever they are. They haven’t been a distraction at all.”
The article as a whole is pretty good, but this quote is really telling to me. Clearly some noise in the locker room and IMO this quote really seems to be throwing Zadorov, and probably to a larger extent Lindholm under the bus a bit.

Also think it's quite interesting that I don't think there has been a single comment positive about Lindholm by a teammate, or about how they've missed him. Could be entirely due to the All Star break, but I can't recall any other trade where not a single player talked about the guy that was traded after the trade.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-14-2024 at 01:45 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 01:38 PM   #2
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is possible that they were part of the problem with the team, and maybe Conroy is just trying set things strait. Things do seem to be going better with the team

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PuckSlap For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 01:40 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rhett said a few times on Barn Burner that Lindholm was playing like a guy that wanted to be traded. By that I assume he means that he was trying just hard enough to hopefully make himself tradeable, but not so hard that the team would not want to trade him. I don't know if that is true, but I would think a guy who played in the NHL likely has good intuition on those kinds of things.

Reading between the lines and making maybe a bit of a stretch, I wonder if this also says something about Hanifin who is still here. Maybe it's not a forgone conclusion that he wants to move on.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:42 PM   #4
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin is playing his best hockey of his career IMO, hasn’t checked out and if anything has raised his trade stock. A true pro and I’ve appreciated his efforts this year greatly. These things just go without saying when speaking of Tanev.

Coleman touches on it too, the guys that are in the noise right now aren’t letting it affect the room and ultimately just want to win no matter where it is. Good on them!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:46 PM   #5
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lindholms mopping around was impacting the team and his linemates.

Just look at the smiles when they rolled into Boston after the all-star break. Huberdeau was glowing.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:47 PM   #6
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

If there's any truth to the idea that Lindholm wasn't bringing his best effort due to some discontent, he's going to have to be a monster for the Canucks to avoid having cost himself millions on his next deal.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 01:48 PM   #7
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus a guy like Kuzmenko, while may have has warts on the ice, seems to be an upbeat good for the locker room guy.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 01:49 PM   #8
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
If there's any truth to the idea that Lindholm wasn't bringing his best effort due to some discontent, he's going to have to be a monster for the Canucks to avoid having cost himself millions on his next deal.
I think he cost himself already, he would have to go on some wild tear and playoff to get that money back.

If asking for 9.5 plus is true.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 01:51 PM   #9
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think he cost himself already, he would have to go on some wild tear and playoff to get that money back.

If asking for 9.5 plus is true.
I doubt he gets 9.5. Now that we know this, so does everyone else, too.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:00 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think Lindholms mopping around was impacting the team and his linemates.

Just look at the smiles when they rolled into Boston after the all-star break. Huberdeau was glowing.
I do get the feeling that Lindholm was pretty ticked when Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. It probably had less to do with Huberdeau personally.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:13 PM   #11
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I absolutely do not want a guy on my team, in my office or in my life that walks around thinking like that or acting like that. Pretty selfish.

You wanna show your better ? Prove it .

Show me this VALUE were all supposed to pay you, this attention and love you seek.....otherwise let the door hit you hard in the A__ on thr way out.

What a breath of fresh air that he's gone. THATS the James Neal stench man.

These new guys in here now have the greatest opportunity given to them and I applaud them for coming in and enthusiastically playing hard beside their new teammates.....let's GO playoffs.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:14 PM   #12
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I think its been pretty obvious that he has been playing "not to get hurt" for quite a while now.
It looks like he is bent on hitting free agency
and he cost himself with his play all year and his "not having fun" stance

Not a very professional attitude to invest in
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:15 PM   #13
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the above, Lindy will make a good Canuck.

I think when we shed Darryl, it was only half the problem. That's why the group looked virtually the same for the first part of the season in terms of output and cohesiveness.

I don't know why a paid professional would ever "hold back" but that's lame and players who do that can go elsewhere.

I didn't get the impression at any point that lindholm bled the flaming C, so I don't know why local media are quick to defend his character. Also knowing now that he was looking to extract a very hefty contract that would rival huberdeau's in order to stay with the team, I don't know if any one around the Flames should rush to the guy's defense for playing half as well as he was capable of.

Hanifin and tanev have exhibited much better attitudes around being in the same spot.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:15 PM   #14
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can recall where but I think there was a quote from Backlund after the trade. But it was a pretty stock statement about 'that's the business'
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:17 PM   #15
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I do get the feeling that Lindholm was pretty ticked when Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. It probably had less to do with Huberdeau personally.
Exactly.

"it's important that Lindy likes who he is playing with"

Jonathan's biggest mistake in a lot of way is not being Johnny and Matthew
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:26 PM   #16
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While gossip is entertaining and I appreciate it for board fodder, am I the only one who thinks it’s pretty ####ty of Coleman today this? These guys weren’t the devil by account previous to this. Who cares if they wanted out? Is that always a bad thing? Do you care if your coworker wants to go to a new company or position? I don’t. Hockey’s a funny sport where they need bullpen board bs to motivate them. Just play instead of throwing former teammates under the bus.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:32 PM   #17
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m not going to speculate on what was going on in Linholms head, or tie Tanev or Hanafin’s performance to him…

However, the fact that Tanev and Hanafin (and to some extent Markstom) have known they are going to be traded, yet have upped their performance, really speaks to how much they care about that locker room, and their character.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to metroneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:40 PM   #18
Britflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How sad that fans are so quick to throw somebody under the bus so quickly. Lindholm made it clear he did not want to remain in Calgary at the end of last season and should have been traded ASP. This was a guy who has been a mainstay of the team for years and very underpayed at the same time. Some of you should hang your heads in shame.
Britflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:41 PM   #19
Kolsch
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
While gossip is entertaining and I appreciate it for board fodder, am I the only one who thinks it’s pretty ####ty of Coleman today this? These guys weren’t the devil by account previous to this. Who cares if they wanted out? Is that always a bad thing? Do you care if your coworker wants to go to a new company or position? I don’t. Hockey’s a funny sport where they need bullpen board bs to motivate them. Just play instead of throwing former teammates under the bus.
Hardly. I read it as: it's fine if you want to go play somewhere else, just play hard and keep it out of the room. Sounds like he's more annoyed about the fuss that's been made around Lindholm and Zadorov and the fact that it affected their play and the feeling in the locker room.
Kolsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:42 PM   #20
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I dunno? Maybe Lindholm and Zadorov were sulking the whole time. I've worked with colleagues that hated their jobs and complained all the time. It definitely started to wear on me because they were so negative. When they finally got new jobs and left, it was a breath of fresh air. It was just annoying cause every single conversation I had with them they would just bitch and complain. So I kind of get it, Coleman seems to like playing here and he's having a career year.

Last edited by renny; 02-14-2024 at 02:52 PM.
renny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renny For This Useful Post: