Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Whitehorse, Yukon

We'll be heading to Whitehorse for 5 days over the summer and are looking for recommendations on things to do and places to eat. We plan on doing a 1/2 day mountain bike trip and some guided day hikes in and around Whitehorse, maybe Kluane too. Any of the sites I've visited so far for hiking seems to do guided day hikes in June and August but none in July when we'll be there so we're still looking into that.

I'll have a rental car so will be able to get out and take in the scenery. I'm not sure if we'll drive up to Dawson yet or not.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Make the trip to Skagway, Whitepass Rail tour is pretty stunning.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Make the trip to Skagway, Whitepass Rail tour is pretty stunning.
That's another thing we were looking at but would have to get passports and the trip is already going to cost us more than enough money.

Last edited by shane_c; 04-22-2014 at 05:34 PM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kluane: Kathleen Lake and the King's Throne.

Edit: Just noticed that you don't have passports.

If you decide to drive to Dawson I recommend taking the Alaska Highway route. Drive into Alaska and travel North past Chicken, Alaska. Cross back into Canada and approach Dawson City from the west along "The Top of the World Highway". There is a ferry that will shuttle you across the Yukon River into Dawson.

The one caution with this route is that there can be delays getting across depending on the traffic. However, the views are spectacular along the Top of the World highway and you also get a sense of desolation so far north.

Max Ehrmann

Last edited by Boo Radley; 04-22-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Noticed that you did not have passports
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boo Radley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you're in Dawson City then you have to have the Sour Toe Cocktail. Never been there myself so I have never tried it but it sounds like a must do...just don't swallow it or it's $500.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
If you're in Dawson City then you have to have the Sour Toe Cocktail. Never been there myself so I have never tried it but it sounds like a must do...just don't swallow it or it's $500.
I heard they upped the price because someone ate it and left $500 on the table. Apparently it costs more than to get a replacement human toe.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I heard they upped the price because someone ate it and left $500 on the table. Apparently it costs more than to get a replacement human toe.

All true.

Also: watch out for the flies. Just... generally.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
We'll be heading to Whitehorse for 5 days over the summer and are looking for recommendations on things to do and places to eat. We plan on doing a 1/2 day mountain bike trip and some guided day hikes in and around Whitehorse, maybe Kluane too. Any of the sites I've visited so far for hiking seems to do guided day hikes in June and August but none in July when we'll be there so we're still looking into that.

I'll have a rental car so will be able to get out and take in the scenery. I'm not sure if we'll drive up to Dawson yet or not.

Any other ideas are appreciated.
Used to live there 11 years ago, a GREAT place to eat is Klondike rib and salmon. It's a little hot and crowded in the summer but the food is amazing. Miles Canyon is pretty cool and if you're heading out around the Kluane area you should consider rafting the Tatshenshini River with Bob or Kevin Daffe( they run a rafting guide company there) awesome trip. "Sandboarding" in the Carcross desert is something I never got to do but heard its awesome. If you wanna give kayaking a try in town there are some rapids near Riverdale (across the bridge) that are really good with some quiet pools too.

If you do get a chance to go to Dawson, Tombstone Park is absolutely beautiful. I used to live in Dawson City as well and have hiked that area numerous times. You'll never forget it.

Have a great trip, the Yukon is an amazing place, I miss living there!!!
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
tipenmat
Draft Pick

The Yukon is awesome. You'll really like it.
In Whitehorse I liked eating at Sanchez Cantina (Mexican restaurant downtown). Very good food comparable to good Mexican restaurants in Calgary. I also liked eating at the Baked cafe and bakery for a less expensive meal. They also have nice coffee there and a cool atmosphere.
Also, outside of town but maybe 20 kms away or so you can go to the Bean North Coffee Roasting Co. Great coffee and it's on the way to a wildlife reserve.
I had a short trip there and my outing choice was to go to Skagway, AK for a night. It is definitely worth your while to get a passport to do this. The drive there is about 2 hours and the coastline/inlet there is amazing. They have a lot of wildlife and some cool ruins of an old town in a forest. Plus you can use the passport if you drive to Chicken or somewhere else in Alaska.
tipenmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ is chicken on the way there?

,eh, sounded funnier in my head....hitting enter in 3....2.....1