Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #101
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

I handed it to a poll worker who was in charge of feeding the ballots into the machine, so I'm assuming the ballot was counted.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #102
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I handed it to a poll worker who was in charge of feeding the ballots into the machine, so I'm assuming the ballot was counted.
when I voted, I had to wait and make sure it was counted correctly and it gave the checkmark.
Which I was fine with doing.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #103
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I voted for Mayor, Councillor, but not for school trustee. Now I'm worried my ballot might get thrown out?
Definitely not. You can abstain on any questions/votes.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #104
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I handed the guy my folder he gave me a look like "ok thanks", I just stood there until he clicked in and scanned the pages. Must have been occupied with something I guess.

Overall the polling station was well run and they kept people distanced very well, big difference from the Federal poll I went to.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #105
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Hopefully these machines mean a quick turnaround for results tonight, so we can have a couple days of whining aftermath and then get on with something else.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #106
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, I found it very straightforward and efficient. I was in and out in under 5 minutes.

I liked the scantron. Why don't they do that in the Federal elections too? Seems like a pretty good way to do it (ie, digitally counted for speed, but still having paper ballots as a backup).
I think Federal has to a uniform process nationwide. Are they sending scantrons to Nunavut? It would cost alot.

Also I think Elections Canada prides itself in doing the entire process manually.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #107
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wife and son went at about 11:30, in and out in about 5 minutes. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to make it today and missed the advance polls so voted by mail. Super easy except by the time I received my ballots it was too late to mail them so had to drive halfway across town to drop them at a library.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:27 PM   #108
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

So i'm looking on my PVR and the only TV coverage I see is on CTV at 10pm??

That can't be right.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #109
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

That can't be right.
Also wondering this. What are the options for following the results? Twitter, obviously, but it would be nice to have some sort of video feed.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #110
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like the results could start rolling in much sooner than 10:00:

Quote:
Calgarians could learn who their new mayor is within minutes of polls closing Monday evening thanks to vote tabulator machines.

Voters will deposit their ballots into the machines as they vote, and the tabulator will generate a print-out with results. Those results will roll-in on the city’s election website shortly after polls close at 8 p.m.

The tabulators are ready for action after a successful trial run in the 2018 Olympic plebiscite, said Kate Martin, the returning officer for Elections Calgary.

Mail-in ballots are due back to the city by 4 p.m., and those are also expected to be counted by the time polls closed. Processing of those ballots began at 8 a.m. this morning.

Voting stations will only report results once everyone there has voted, and Martin stressed those in line at 8 p.m. will be able to vote. She said the city has introduced additional voting stations and staff this year to handle potential long waits caused by two crowded ballots.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...omes-to-an-end

So depending on when the puck actually drops tonight, maybe we'll see some numbers during the first TV timeout, or perhaps the first intermission?

Last edited by tvp2003; 10-18-2021 at 04:41 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #111
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am I reading this correctly, essentially all of the provincial questions (with the possible exception of DST) are non-binding in anyway? They’re just pointless political pandering?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #112
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Global has a live stream from 8pm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #113
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Am I reading this correctly, essentially all of the provincial questions (with the possible exception of DST) are non-binding in anyway? They’re just pointless political pandering?
Yes. And DST is definitely binding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #114
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

That can't be right.
Given that we're using scan type ballots we can probably expect the results very shortly after poll closing. So there's really no point to the hours long coverage that we might have seen if we were using paper ballots.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #115
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I voted and all I got was no sticker!
There was just a roll at my voting station, so I took a couple extras to put on some skeletons in my graveyard on Halloween. It just wouldn't be a municipal election with out some votes from the dead.

Our scanning machine really backed up things around lunch. It took 3 tries to scan each of my ballots. Happened to my wife and the person ahead of us as well. Can't imagine what it will be like when it gets really busy.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #116
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
There's some arguments based on 2014 Supreme Court reference case that anyone elected would be disqualified for appointment to the Senate.
Didn't Harper appoint all 3 of the elected Senators from Alberta? I dont believe those appointments were ever over turned.

It seems to me if a province wanted to suggest an appointment to the federal government they could, and if they did so via an election...

There will probably never be a consensus to amend the constitution. But lots of our democracy works on norms. If it became a norm for provinces to hold elections for senators in waiting and Canadians expected the government to appoint from those lists I dont think that would be an issue.

Binding elections and term limits (which is what Harper asked about in 2014) require a constitutional amendment and won't happen.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #117
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh, I'm nervous. I can't take another embarrassing Alberta politican getting voted in, and Farkas is such a weiner. The UCP love him and I can't think of a bigger red flag at the moment. C'mon Gondek.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #118
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Ugh, I'm nervous. I can't take another embarrassing Alberta politican getting voted in, and Farkas is such a weiner. The UCP love him and I can't think of a bigger red flag at the moment. C'mon Gondek.

Yep. They have tainted the conservative brand.

As an aside it was actually jarring seeing Kevin J Johnston on the ballot. He’s in literal jail wtf. I wish we didn’t cheapen our democracy with idiots like him.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #119
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t remember from last time but do we see live tracking as votes are counted or do we just see the announced winner?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #120
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember that the Olympic vote results were supposed to be announced right away but they were delayed by an hour or so.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote