Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #1641
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm not a big fan of the movement because some of it is just shaming without needing evidence or corroboration, and to me the first two accounts seem fairly trivial to ruin someone's career over. The last one though, seems fairly credible from the amount of detail she went into (and the seriousness of it). If what she's saying is true and she was on the path to these big dreams, it's really unfortunate for her. You'd have to think roofieing someone wouldn't be a one time deal and more people will eventually come forward. Who knows.
the amount of detail make me believe that it could be a lie.
I've heard a lot of lies where there is an excessive amount of detail to try and convince you it's the truth. seems like putting a lot of thought in how to make a lie sound as convincing as possible.

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #1642
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

A fourth

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-assault.html

Quote:
A fourth woman has come forward to accuse scientist and TV host Neil deGrasse Tyson of sexual assault.

Two more allegations against the renowned scientist came to light last week after an original allegation Tyson drugged and raped former classmate Tchiya Amet in 1984.

But on Wednesday a fourth sexual assault claim was published by Buzzfeed News from a woman who says Tyson propositioned her at a party in the American Museum of Natural History, New York in 2010.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #1643
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Watson said at one point Tyson engaged in a 'Native American handshake' in which both of them held hands tightly, made eye contact, and felt for each other's pulse. Tyson told Watson that the handshake was a 'spirit connection.'

Tyson acknowledges he did offer 'a special handshake,' but that he hadn't touched Watson up until that point.
Ick.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #1644
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow there's some creepy factor here. I think he's pretty much done. There's a pattern developing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #1645
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The buzzfeed article doesn't discuss anything about sexual assault, but sexual harassment.

Quote:
Now a fourth woman has told BuzzFeed News her experience of sexual harassment from Tyson. In January 2010, she recalled, she joined her then-boyfriend at a holiday party for employees of the American Museum of Natural History. Tyson, its most famous employee, drunkenly approached her, she said, making sexual jokes and propositioning her to join him alone in his office. In a 2014 email shared with BuzzFeed News, she described the incident to her own employer in order to shoot down a proposed collaboration with Tyson.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #1646
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Ick.

That's the old stuff. There seems to be no information about the latest claim in the article Girly linked to, even though that was the title.

Edit: Weird, the article now seems to at least show some of the details of the most recent incident.

Last edited by Wormius; 12-06-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #1647
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is sexual harassment though. You go to a company party and one of the faces of your company makes lewd jokes and suggestions while you're their with your boyfriend? That's not okay and actions like that definitely need to be squashed, even if they aren't criminal and don't deserve a prison sentence.

Especially when you consider that it left such a negative impression that even four years after the incident she didn't want to deal with him.

EDIT: Ninja editted by corporatejay. I think we're all on the same page.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #1648
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I can't believe the Les Moonves scandal isn't bigger news here. He had a CBS employee on call to perform oral sex at his beck and call. Total sleaze bag.

https://www.businessinsider.com/les-...l-sex-2018-12/
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #1649
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reporters need better precision in the language they use talking about these topics as currently Tyson is accused of 1 instance of Sexual Assualt 2 instances of sexual harassment and one instance of being creepy.

This isn’t to defend anything he did however we need to be able to differentiate between Ansari and Weinstein so calling everything sexual assault doesn’t work

Last edited by GGG; 12-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #1650
Knut

Exp:

More like Neil Grabass Tyson.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #1651
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man I can't believe the Les Moonves scandal isn't bigger news here. He had a CBS employee on call to perform oral sex at his beck and call. Total sleaze bag.

https://www.businessinsider.com/les-...l-sex-2018-12/
Now that would be an interesting meeting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #1652
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much you wanna bet he was throwing out Uranus jokes?

"my favourite place in the entire galaxy, is Uranus..."
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #1653
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default High-Profile Sexual Abuse Epidemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
More like Neil Grabass Tyson.

Heyooooo
Old 12-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #1654
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were a couple of unusual references in her interview. She had gone to the school previously with a similar misconduct complaint against a student and a member of faculty, and was told not to pursue it. I had to go back and listen to that part again, to make sure what I heard was what she said.

I have no idea what to make of her, as she seems to be her own worst enemy in terms of credibility.

The new accusation is of a drunken proposition. A great number of men and women are guilty of being embarrassingly drunk, and making a fool of themselves while the proposition goes nowhere.

There is still only one serious accusation, in my mind. The others were incidents of stupidity.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #1655
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also agree that Moonves is in danger of being a Weinstien level scumbag. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is much more in that closet, if the first accusation turns out to be true.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #1656
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
There were a couple of unusual references in her interview. She had gone to the school previously with a similar misconduct complaint against a student and a member of faculty, and was told not to pursue it. I had to go back and listen to that part again, to make sure what I heard was what she said.

I have no idea what to make of her, as she seems to be her own worst enemy in terms of credibility.

The new accusation is of a drunken proposition. A great number of men and women are guilty of being embarrassingly drunk, and making a fool of themselves while the proposition goes nowhere.

There is still only one serious accusation, in my mind. The others were incidents of stupidity.

I see you point but I think the issue is the context. He was in a position of authority and at a staff function. In another context it was a harmless failed proposition. But in this context it could be interpreted as leveraging his standing to have sex.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #1657
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I see you point but I think the issue is the context. He was in a position of authority and at a staff function. In another context it was a harmless failed proposition. But in this context it could be interpreted as leveraging his standing to have sex.

It's interesting, because it seems his attempts at drunken propositions all appeared to fail. In the larger scheme of things, if nobody took him up on his offers, did he actually have any perceived power over anybody?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #1658
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It's interesting, because it seems his attempts at drunken propositions all appeared to fail. In the larger scheme of things, if nobody took him up on his offers, did he actually have any perceived power over anybody?
I'm not the person who should be answering these questions but I think that it is a matter of degree. Sexual harassment exists on a spectrum. Its a question of how much is too much, and when and where is this behaviour acceptable.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #1659
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
But he wasn't in a position of power over her was he? In the story it says she joined her then ex-boyfriend at his Xmas party. Tyson would be in a position of power over the boyfriend not her, or does authority extend to partners and friends of people who work for you?
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #1660
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
But he wasn't in a position of power over her was he? In the story it says she joined her then ex-boyfriend at his Xmas party. Tyson would be in a position of power over the boyfriend not her, or does authority extend to partners and friends of people who work for you?
All good questions. I think that the big take away is that public figures need to be careful about how they try to get laid. The positives of this is fewer people get abused. The Draw back is they get laid a little less often. Seems like a fair trade off to me.