Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #1761
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Lets start with Scientology.
Catholic church first. Easily the most corrupt organization in the history of humanity. The influence, reach and power this organization has had worldwide over years in the name of God is disgusting.

I think tax exemption for ALL religions are dumb. But if there's one that deserves to get hit hard, it's the Catholic Church.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #1762
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096317348426985474

To make matters worse, the 11 year old was found dead.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #1763
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1096317348426985474

To make matters worse, the 11 year old was found dead.
This is no surprise to me. People complain about police inconveniencing them. I've even had someone call to complain, quite loudly, with lots of 'adult' words about CPS daring to close a road during rush hour, for a homicide investigation. He felt, quite strongly, that we should only conduct such things when they 'won't inconvenience taxpayers'...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #1764
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Catholic church first. Easily the most corrupt organization in the history of humanity. The influence, reach and power this organization has had worldwide over years in the name of God is disgusting.

I think tax exemption for ALL religions are dumb. But if there's one that deserves to get hit hard, it's the Catholic Church.
We went to Catholic School together...3 of them!

But you're not wrong. If you're ever interested in loathing the Vatican a little more, I strongly recommend:

https://www.amazon.ca/Gods-Bankers-H.../dp/1416576592

Its a great read and in its own way its stunning that its not stunning.

For an organization that requires members to take a vow of poverty but has gold just lying around....I'm not getting into it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #1765
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look upon myCanada's works, and despair

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096267570242453504

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096278373377048576

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096280632018165760

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096314563350298624

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096357428927463424

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096435678596947968

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #1766
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Is this something brand new? Or have we just not had an Amber Alert in Calgary since the Emergency Broadcast System was moved over to cell phones?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1767
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Is this something brand new? Or have we just not had an Amber Alert in Calgary since the Emergency Broadcast System was moved over to cell phones?
Pretty sure we haven't had one since the big test a while back.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #1768
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phone out of the bedroom or in airplane mode (unless that doesn’t stop the alert).

Problem solved.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #1769
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

I sleep with my phone off
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TBone290 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #1770
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

F-n people, eh? If your sleep is so precious, why don't you turn your phone off at night? I know why, in case of an emergency. But you only consider your immediate circle emergency worthy, right? An 11 year old girl goes missing and is murdered, but it's not your 11 year old girl, so not an emergency, right?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #1771
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know, I want to call out Psychnet for the use of Ozymandias by Shelley. One of my favorite works ever

Quote:
I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

You actually made my day with that perfect reference. Oh and all of those tweets, those people are ######bags.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #1772
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wait, are you saying the police now have the ability to push notifications to my phone without my consent? And without any way to opt out?

If my phone was on vibrate (as it always is and as all phones should be) would it make noise? It would still just vibrate, right?

I'm not sure I understand these people's complaints. So you had your phone on. The sound was on. Notifications were on. If anyone called or sent you a text or tweet or anything you had notifications turned on for, it would have made a noise right? So what's different about the amber alert?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-15-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #1773
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good response in MacLean's to those who complained, titled "You are horrible people"

Quote:
But we have grown so entitled to our comforts, we’ve forgotten that we have to pay for them, that we bear collective responsibilities. We can’t be bothered to vote. We resent paying taxes for public goods. We volunteer in our community less and less. And now we even begrudge having to help save the life of a child.

That is what citizens are complaining about today. They were asked to help save a child and this irritated them. In small towns, when a child goes missing everyone knocks on doors and wakes each other up and searches all night. Because in a community people look out for each other, they understand the duty we owe our neighbours. They recognize that if you want to live in a town that protects its children, occasionally you have to get up, go outside, and help.

This is a point all the whiners need to understand today: If you want to live in a province that protects its children, occasionally you have to roll over in bed and check your phone. And if that is too much to ask, then you are objectively a horrible person.
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...rrible-people/

Last edited by shermanator; 02-15-2019 at 03:27 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #1774
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wait, are you saying the police now have the ability to push notifications to my phone without my consent? And without any way to opt out?

If my phone was on vibrate (as it always is and as all phones should be) would it make noise? It would still just vibrate, right?

I'm not sure I understand these people's complaints. So you had your phone on. The sound was on. Notifications were on. If anyone called or sent you a text or tweet or anything you had notifications turned on for, it would have made a noise right? So what's different about the amber alert?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4
F-n people, eh? If your sleep is so precious, why don't you turn your phone off at night? I know why, in case of an emergency. But you only consider your immediate circle emergency worthy, right? An 11 year old girl goes missing and is murdered, but it's not your 11 year old girl, so not an emergency, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken0042
I think I'll take a moment to address this.

No, Calgary hasn't had an Amber Alert since they've been moved to the EBS. Amber Alerts are rare as there are 4 criteria that have to be met, and more often than not, they aren't met. Amber Alerts are a rare thing, and are not just called for every missing child or we'd be getting multiple ones a day.

Next, whatever setting you have your phone on, doesn't matter (or shouldn't. as they are working kinks out of the system). The Emergency Broadcast System should go through every 'phone turned off/DND/Silent/Vibrate Only/Whatever" setting you have, with an attention catching noise. It's designed to be used in rare circumstances where having people ignore a warning is likely to cause more harm than good.

Now, one can argue the merit of having Amber Alerts considered to be sent out via the EBS, but the current situation is that they are, so if Calgary/AB/Canada has one that goes out that includes our area, we'll be getting it, regardless of the time of day and your phone setting.

And to Cecil's point specifically...no, police can't do that. We don't have a 'ring up all the phones' button. But the federal govt has given police departments the authority to call up the telecomm's and ask/tell them to do it.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 02-15-2019 at 04:49 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #1775
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

well I’d say if all they have to do is order the telecoms to do it (and I’m assuming telecoms have no choice) then yeah I’d say the police can do that. Seems like semantics whether or not they’re the ones pushing the button.

As for the general issue, those people are definitely insensitive dink’s and given how infrequent Amber Alerts are it doesn’t seem like a big deal. Especially since police are saying the suspect was located because of the amber alert. I’d actually question why it only applies to minors. It should include any situation that meets the other amber alert criteria.

So what exactly qualifies for the EBS? Natural disasters, nuclear war, Amber alerts. Anything else?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-15-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #1776
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
well I’d say if all they have to do is order the telecoms to do it (and I’m assuming telecoms have no choice) then yeah I’d say the police can do that. Seems like semantics whether or not they’re the ones pushing the button.
Well, the telecomms CAN refuse, but they'd likely have to have a very good reason to explain to the government why.

Quote:
As for the general issue, those people are definitely insensitive dink’s and given how infrequent Amber Alerts are it doesn’t seem like a big deal. Especially since police are saying the suspect was located because of the amber alert. I’d actually question why it only applies to minors. It should include any situation that meets the other amber alert criteria.
Interestingly, AA doesn't just apply to minors. This is the first criteria step (for Alberta, at least): "a child or an adult with a proven mental or physical disability has been abducted"

Folks mistakenly presume that an AA is for a "missing child", but in truth it's for an "abducted child". The two situations are different.

Quote:
So what exactly qualifies for the EBS? Natural disasters, nuclear war, Amber alerts. Anything else?
The majority of the determining criteria are vague, so that the system can be used as needed, instead of "Oops, we only expected this problem to negatively impact 99 people instead of the required 100, so we didn't issue an alert" sort of situations. So the answer to your question is more "It depends", than a specific answer.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 02-17-2019 at 09:58 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #1777
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Next, whatever setting you have your phone on, doesn't matter (or shouldn't. as they are working kinks out of the system). The Emergency Broadcast System should go through every 'phone turned off/DND/Silent/Vibrate Only/Whatever" setting you have,
Wait, back up. I get that it ignores your phone being on vibrate. But if your phone's turned off, it somehow automatically turns the phone on? Because that one I'm a little less okay with, if that's even possible.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #1778
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Wait, back up. I get that it ignores your phone being on vibrate. But if your phone's turned off, it somehow automatically turns the phone on? Because that one I'm a little less okay with, if that's even possible.
Sorry, no. That was mis-spoken. It should have been 'volume turned off/etc/etc"

If your phone is turned off, it will NOT be turned on by the notification. I do believe you get it when you turn your phone on, but the notification/EBS can NOT turn your phone on, if it's off. I apologize for the confusion.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #1779
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously Alberta is different, but according to this article, in Ontario it is the Ontario Provincial Police who are responsible for managing the alert system and deciding if an Amber Alert is warranted.

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/...1-peel-police/
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #1780
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How angry are you at life to be upset by an Amber Alert notification? That's insanity to me.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote