Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did you renew your Seasons Tickets?
Yes 101 39.15%
No 28 10.85%
Don't have tickets but want to see the results. 129 50.00%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #201
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
ha ha on the beer prices - do 6 packs now cost $60 at the liquor store. i'd bet their cost on that beer is likely $3 to $4 per glass.

do they also add cost to the season ticket holder for popcorn and big chief beef jerky?
Here's the math on the beer:

Keg of Canadian is $340.
Keg holds 15.5 gallons of beer.
15.5 gallons divided into 12oz cups is about 165.
15.5 gallons divided into 16oz cups is about 124.

So the cost of a beer is $2.06 for a 12oz and $2.74 for a 16oz.
Plus the cup...

I can't remember if they serve 12 or 16oz, but lets assume 16 even though I think it's 12. That makes it a 72.5% margin on the beer not including the cup.

I think they're doing just fine on beer.

Last edited by theslymonkey; 04-19-2018 at 01:56 PM.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Got a call from our rep today. Our ticket prices will be going up due to an increase in liquor costs and the rise in minimum wage. Apparently $10 a beer just isn't enough to keep up with liquor costs these days. We will NOT be renewing.
What was the % increase in price?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #203
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I wonder if the "liquor costs" issue is more along the lines that people aren't buying as much as they used to. Purely anecdotal, but I know several people have the same mindset as me that the $10 per beer isn't worth it. So assuming a $3 per beer cost (and there's no way the Flames pay retail on beer)- at $10 they make $7 per beer. If they charged $8 they'd make $5 per beer.

With $10 beer I'm only buying one per game; many games I don't buy any. With $8 beer I'd have 3. So they have chosen to make $7 from me once as opposed to $5 three times.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #204
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I wonder if the "liquor costs" issue is more along the lines that people aren't buying as much as they used to. Purely anecdotal, but I know several people have the same mindset as me that the $10 per beer isn't worth it. So assuming a $3 per beer cost (and there's no way the Flames pay retail on beer)- at $10 they make $7 per beer. If they charged $8 they'd make $5 per beer.

With $10 beer I'm only buying one per game; many games I don't buy any. With $8 beer I'd have 3. So they have chosen to make $7 from me once as opposed to $5 three times.
That would be my guess. That's really the only way it would make any sense for ticket price increases to be tied to increasing beer costs.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #205
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If they want to make more money on food and drink sales.....have better stuff.
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcneil For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #206
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To me the beer decision is really easy. I can grad a 24 pack of Big Rock for $30 at Costco and drink them when I watch at home. There I can pause the game and make the appropriate bathroom runs whenever without missing the game or waiting in the massive intermission line. When I go to the game I can hit up Sunterra and eat a Philly Cheese and Caesar salad for less than $10 and then just go watch the game. Maybe I'm getting older but I think that it makes more sense this way and I'm assuming that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #207
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post

Keg of Canadian is $340.

Plus the cup...

I can't remember if they serve 12 or 16oz, but lets assume 16 even though I think it's 12. That makes it a 72.5% margin on the beer not including the cup.

I'm pretty sure that is the cost of a Keg for the general public to buy from a liquor store. The Flames get those kegs much cheaper than that.

In addition, you're also looking at the Flames probably getting money for advertising from that liquor provider and even more cash on top for alcohol exclusivity rights.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #208
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcneil View Post
If they want to make more money on food and drink sales.....have better stuff.
I thought they would have saved some money with those swindly new Nacho containers they are using now. Holds less Nachos and less cheese, but costs the same price.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #209
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I'm pretty sure that is the cost of a Keg for the general public to buy from a liquor store. The Flames get those kegs much cheaper than that.

In addition, you're also looking at the Flames probably getting money for advertising from that liquor provider and even more cash on top for alcohol exclusivity rights.
I agree, I was just giving a worst case scenario, which looks to be a a pretty strong margin regardless.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #210
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, there is the happy hour promotion. 5 dollars for beer up to 30 minutes before the game.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #211
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Keg of Canadian is $340.

Plus the cup...

Add on the fact that it would be shocking for an NHL stadium to pay sticker-price for every keg of beer, and I'm sure they make a ton off of the beer.

However, as a result, their business model probably heavily relies on liquor profits, so I do believe that liquor price increases will affect their bottom line. Just not a good argument to make when looking for sympathy from fans.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #212
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
ha ha on the beer prices - do 6 packs now cost $60 at the liquor store. i'd bet their cost on that beer is likely $3 to $4 per glass.

do they also add

cost to the season ticket holder for popcorn and big chief beef jerky?

You think COST is $3 or $4 per GLASS of DRAFT BEER?? LOL MAYBE $1.50 (on the high side)
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #213
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Keg of Canadian is $340.

Plus the cup...

I'm sure they pay probably half of that for a keg or less with the amount they buy
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #214
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Who buys liquor at the dome? Just sneak it in a plastic flask and then buy a soft drink at concession like us pro's do. Et Voila - Whisky + Fanta. Savings is through the roof! Extra savings if you buy your alcohol as Costco or make your moonshine at home.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #215
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Who buys liquor at the dome? Just sneak it in a plastic flask and then buy a soft drink at concession like us pro's do. Et Voila - Whisky + Fanta. Savings is through the roof! Extra savings if you buy your alcohol as Costco or make your moonshine at home.
The amount of beer I drink at games sadly I don't think I could pull that off.

One of the plastic mini kegs under my shirt maybe? Pretend I just have a huge beer gut
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #216
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hide a bottle in the upper deck of the toilet
Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #217
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
That's funny. The $10/beer doesn't cover the cost. So they need to increase ticket prices to subsidize the liquor.
In the interest of full transparency, that comment about the $10 beers not covering the cost of liquor was my own comment not was the rep told us. That was my own personal shot at the BS surrounding that logic. They did say though that a reason for the increase surrounded the rise in liquor cost though,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What was the % increase in price?
We didn't get that far. It was a brief conversation when they explained the reasoning for the rise in ticket price. Our group was already leaning towards not renewing for a handful of reasons and this just solidified it. I've completely fallen out of love with this franchise over the last few seasons. I'll always be a fan no matter what but that unwavering loyalty within me is officially dead.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #218
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

First, this season the Flames did introduce a bunch of new beer types than the regular, so, not sure it’s fair to criticize for lack of selection and second, they are some of the lowest priced beer in the entire NHL (possibly the lowest). That’s an indictment on the league because it’s crazy but, that’s also kinda always the way it’s been.

Raising ticket prices after the worst season in franchise history? Because that’s honestly what the last season was. I think that’s ballsy and IMO kinda stupid because the market is fairly unhappy with the franchise. Just comes across as tone deaf. Like how they haven’t fired King after literally years of deserving it. Tone deaf.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 PM   #219
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minimum wage goes up in Oct right. I remember at an event earlier they mentioned the previous minimum wage hike cost them in the millions and they just took the hit. Sounds like with it going up again this time they were passing on the cost.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #220
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

If that’s the case that’d make it the first justified price increase in about a decade. And they’ve raised prices since as long as I can remember...
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote