Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #1161
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a way to re-set Netflix now we have profiles? I would love to get rid of the kids reccomendations...

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #1162
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently a new "My List" feature was added today to finally allow non-US Netflix users to queue things they want to watch: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...news&tag=title

Anybody able to check it out yet? I'm not seeing anything on the web interface.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #1163
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Apparently it will be rolled out over the next couple of weeks. And even then, only on the web. Other devices to follow. This will be a nice feature to have.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #1164
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's weird, I've had a list ever since I can remember.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #1165
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same here.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #1166
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where would the list appear?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #1167
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it turns out that I got "my list" rolled out to me tonight. I did a quick look on the web site, and it appears prominently at the top of the page in a similar fashion to the "recently watched" and "because you watched..." sections. When you mouseover a title, there is now a little box to add to my list.

Although Netflix officially says that it will roll out on various devices later (presumably when software updates are pushed out), I can confirm that it does show up on my Apple TV and my iPhone. The PS3 is downstairs but I'm too lazy to go downstairs and check.

I'm going to like this feature. I have used bookmarks in my web browser to keep track of what I'd like to watch, but this is far more convenient.

Edit: So the web and iPhone interface allows you to add to your list, but the Apple TV interface is "read only". You can access your list on Apple TV, but you can't add anything to it. Yet.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 08-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #1168
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't have it yet but I've been waiting for this since Netflix launched. I've been enjoying the profiles feature as well, but it's taking a while to purge the kid shows from my main page. That stuff gets in there deep.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #1169
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I don't have it yet but I've been waiting for this since Netflix launched. I've been enjoying the profiles feature as well, but it's taking a while to purge the kid shows from my main page. That stuff gets in there deep.

HOw do you do this when accessing it through a PS3

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #1170
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I'd like to purge the opening screen that asks me if I want normal or Kids Netflix. I will never choose Kids Netflix, stop asking!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #1171
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I'd like to purge the opening screen that asks me if I want normal or Kids Netflix. I will never choose Kids Netflix, stop asking!
On my older style Xbox downstairs it prompts me with this title screen, but on my newer style Xbox upstairs it doesn't.

Agree, having to choose each time despite only ever selecting the normal option is frustrating.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #1172
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is almost 60 pages long and I don't want to read all of it right now. I'm considering Netflix, so some questions....

- The $7.99 per month (first month is free) seems very reasonable. Is it worth it? I think yes.
- Can I cancel if I no longer want it? I'm guessing yes, as probably no long-term contracts are required.
- Is the variety sufficient for me to replace cable? Probably not, as I have a higher-end package with (some of my favourites) History channel, Oasis, movie channels, HD sports, etc.
- Do programs stay on a very long time? There are some series that I've never watched and want to but they're years old.
-Is most of the programming HD? Yes?

Pardon my ignorance but I know nothing about Netflix. I'll try to read this thread when I have time. I think I'll take it, test it for the free month and then will likely keep it. Thanks, all.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #1173
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yes, just get it. The 30 day trial is 0 risk. It's worth the $8 per month easily for myself, nevermind what my wife and son use. And yes, you can cancel any time you'd like.

I could never use it to replace cable, but some people have. (Check the "cutting the cord" thread.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #1174
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Worth it? I definitely think so. It costs less than the channel bundle that includes 4 children stations that Shaw is always trying to sell me on.

Yes, you can cancel whenever

If you're big into cable then I'd say it will not replace it. It does for me, but I'm happy to go without most of cable.

Some programs stay on a long time, some seem to drop off quickly. I imagine the deals Netflix strikes with the distributors are all different.

Most of the new stuff seems to be in HD.

Remember if you tire of it you can always go to something like http://www.unblock-us.com that will give you the American Netflix for $5 more per month.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #1175
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It's 8 bucks a month. Millions of people spend more than that on coffee per week. A fast food combo costs more than that

I get access to way more movies and TV shows than I'll ever watch, and I don't even notice a difference in my monthly bills
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #1176
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, you probably won't find any dissenting opinions in this thread...

For $8/month, Netflix is ridiculously good value. It is a no brainer to me.

I find I use it for TV most often, and a movie every couple of weeks or so. One caution about movies: don't expect particular movies to be in the catalog. Yes, there are thousands of movies on Netflix, but tens of thousands of movies have been made. So if there is some movie that you always wanted to watch, you've got a 1/10 chance of it being on Netflix That said, I've found lots of enjoyable movies browsing the catalog, and you will too.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #1177
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Moneyball was just added, probably one of my favourite movies of the last decade.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #1178
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, sounds great. The price is good. Thanks, everyone. I'll try it out.

Are all seasons of some shows available, like Breaking Bad?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #1179
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
OK, sounds great. The price is good. Thanks, everyone. I'll try it out.

Are all seasons of some shows available, like Breaking Bad?
It depends on the show, but Breaking Bad is currently available upto the current broadcast season. Seasons one to the first half of season 5 from last year are all available.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #1180
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
This thread is almost 60 pages long and I don't want to read all of it right now. I'm considering Netflix, so some questions....

- The $7.99 per month (first month is free) seems very reasonable. Is it worth it? I think yes.
- Can I cancel if I no longer want it? I'm guessing yes, as probably no long-term contracts are required.
- Is the variety sufficient for me to replace cable? Probably not, as I have a higher-end package with (some of my favourites) History channel, Oasis, movie channels, HD sports, etc.
- Do programs stay on a very long time? There are some series that I've never watched and want to but they're years old.
-Is most of the programming HD? Yes?

Pardon my ignorance but I know nothing about Netflix. I'll try to read this thread when I have time. I think I'll take it, test it for the free month and then will likely keep it. Thanks, all.
Lol, I disagree. You more than sufficiently answered your own questions.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote