Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #121
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

never liked the 350Z or 370Z. liked the second gen 300ZX and absolutely love the old 240Z style. they should come out with a new updated 240 Z, that car was a gem.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #122
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
The base model MSRP is $30,498 via Nissan.ca. Do you still need more validation? It's quite comical that you started a thread (when there is already an automotive thread) specifically to diss Nissan/Infiniti. Sounds like you got burned by the brand and this thread is somehow your self gratifying redemption...
Yeah and go select that one to build. They don't make it in that cheap trim, plus that wouldn't be the out the door price even if they did. Have you ever bought a car? That price you see on page one of your build is very far away from what you'll actually pay.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #123
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
never liked the 350Z or 370Z. liked the second gen 300ZX and absolutely love the old 240Z style. they should come out with a new updated 240 Z, that car was a gem.
They can't anymore. The original 240Z weighed about 2300 lbs. With modern equipment and safety requirements, you just can't make a car like that out of anything but pure carbon and have it be mass producible. If they were going to make a new one it would need to be a manual Alfa 4C coupe, and it'd cost close to a hundred grand. Which, to be fair, I would probably still buy, but part of the charm of the original 240Z was that it didn't sell at high-end prices.

Having totaled a 280Z, I can tell you that there was not much in the way of safety or bolstering in that car's construction. The thing barely had anything you could describe as a structural pillar... Great visibility though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:54 AM   #124
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
They can't anymore. The original 240Z weighed about 2300 lbs. With modern equipment and safety requirements, you just can't make a car like that out of anything but pure carbon and have it be mass producible. If they were going to make a new one it would need to be a manual Alfa 4C coupe, and it'd cost close to a hundred grand. Which, to be fair, I would probably still buy, but part of the charm of the original 240Z was that it didn't sell at high-end prices.

Having totaled a 280Z, I can tell you that there was not much in the way of safety or bolstering in that car's construction. The thing barely had anything you could describe as a structural pillar... Great visibility though.
I had a mint '87 Mustang for a few years in the mid 2000s. It only had about 13,000 original kms on it when I bought it (barn find). My main reason for selling it was how dangerous it would have been in an accident. I don't have any interest in owning older cars for that reason alone.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #125
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Current gen Miata (soft top) weighs 2,318 lbs

Hard top is 2,468 lbs
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #126
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
The 300ZX TT is an underrated classic as it was the first Japanese car to take a good run at the Corvette in some time as I recall C&D and other magazines calling it Godzilla as it was very fast, capable, and simply higher tech than GM's performance car. It kind of forced Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc to up their games with their offerings which spawned some of the great Japanese cars of the 90's. Looking back even the styling has aged pretty well as it's probably only below the FD RX7 and maybe NSX when it comes to timeless Japanese styling from that era.

The 350Z while not as much of an out right performer was very, very popular in the US and was a pretty desirable car in its time. For whatever reason the 370Z just wasn't well received and even in its early years never sold remotely close to the 350Z. Maybe the styling wasn't enough of a departure, maybe the VQ engine was been there done that for many, maybe it's release coinciding with the recession killed any momentum, or maybe the domestics stepping up their game with the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger put a dent into the market share for RWD coupes. Likely a combination of all that and maybe Nissan not really putting in a lot of effort to modernize or upgrade performance after launch led to the downfall of the car.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-30-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #127
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I had a mint '87 Mustang for a few years in the mid 2000s. It only had about 13,000 original kms on it when I bought it (barn find). My main reason for selling it was how dangerous it would have been in an accident. I don't have any interest in owning older cars for that reason alone.
That seems like a very overly-cautious way of deciding what car to drive. And rather boring.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #128
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
That seems like a very overly-cautious way of deciding what car to drive. And rather boring.
Nah, I'm at a stage where I have to be more cautious than I used to be. Two kids and a wife that would be pretty hooped without me.

My Cooper S isn't boring, and my tuned CLS550 is very unboring. I just want airbags and modern crash protection. Nothing wrong with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #129
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Infiniti to withdraw from Australia (joining Western Europe in exodus, which I didn't know)

Pretty bad, and probably a sobering thought for Genesis...

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29661/...r-sales-report
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #130
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Australia is a weird car market, they pay far more for imports than we do with similar exchange rate against USD. Probably hard to justify spending almost $100k for a G37.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #131
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Infiniti to withdraw from Australia (joining Western Europe in exodus, which I didn't know)

Pretty bad, and probably a sobering thought for Genesis...

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29661/...r-sales-report
IMO the landscape of the automobile industry is going to rapidly change over the next decade and not all brands will make it. I don't know if half hearted luxury brands like Infinity and Acura will make much sense in the near future as both have been struggling for some time.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #132
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Australia is a weird car market, they pay far more for imports than we do with similar exchange rate against USD. Probably hard to justify spending almost $100k for a G37.
It's always struck me as really odd that Australia is Subaru's 2nd biggest market ahead of Canada.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #133
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #134
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Doug DeMuro roasting Infiniti and sharing a lot of the opinions of posters in this thread:

Some notable quotes:

Quote:
...Infiniti has become so irrelevant that most people don't remember that it exists anymore
Quote:
...these days Infiniti is floundering once again, existing on fleet sales and massive incentives.
Quote:
Infiniti - the brand Hertz gives you at the airport as an upgrade when they run out of Impalas.
re: the infotainment screen:
Quote:
This thing feels like it's almost ten years old.
Quote:
The technology feels ancient.
Quote:
It's way way WAY behind rivals. A really disappointing gauge cluster.
And he goes on from there. How much longer can this brand go on? They have nothing in their entire range that is better than any competitor in any way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #135
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that gets me is, outside of the double screens, the interior is virtually unchanged from 2007.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #136
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

And the lag. It's insane - kind of like playing with an iPhone from 10 years ago. Who would find that acceptable to the point where they'd shell out sixty-thousand dollars to own it and put it up with it on a daily basis?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #137
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Real driving enthusiasts don't give a #### about entertainment systems.
The DRIVING EXPERIENCE is the entertainment.

Just saying...

I owned 2 Nissan 240SX in another life... and they were a whole pile of fun (say no more).
Bindair Dundat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #138
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean a 240Z?

I had one also, and loved it. But that doesn't help Infiniti here.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #139
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindair Dundat View Post
Real driving enthusiasts don't give a #### about entertainment systems.
The DRIVING EXPERIENCE is the entertainment.

Just saying...

I owned 2 Nissan 240SX in another life... and they were a whole pile of fun (say no more).
lol what a purist.

This line of thinking is silly. An enthusiast enjoys the driving dynamics first and foremost, obviously, but who doesn't like spending their time in a place that is pleasant to be in? I've never seen an automotive enthusiast or journalist not care about interiors, and tech is a part of that.

I mean, given the choice between two similarly priced cars that drive exactly the same - one with a beautiful interior and awesome infotainment and one with cheap plastics, laggy infotainment, and grossly outdated tech - what kind of idiot would go for the lesser car? Because that's the decision people considering, say, an Infiniti and a Mercedes face.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #140
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

What's your guys' opinions on M35h and M37s (or M37x)?

Looking at picking up a Touring car, and these seem fairly inexpensive for what you get.

Last edited by ricosuave; 10-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nissan