Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #21
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's gotta be tough for male narrators to do female character voices without sounding ridiculous. Stephen Fry is excellent on audiobooks but his Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter audiobooks is cringeworthy.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #22
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Well I'm a bit annoyed that amazon gift cards don't work with Audible.

Anyway, I signed up with Audible about a year ago and love it. Looks like I purchased/redeemed just under 30 books or free audible originals for the year, but I admittedly quit on about 1/3 of them. I'm fine with that- its a different world from reading a book and takes a while to figure out the genres work for you if even a small percentage of your attention is elsewhere.

I'm utilizing the return feature sparingly, although I am not sure how cautious you need to be on this? Anyone know? Just be honest with returns and Audible wont call you on it? I generally only claim a return if I quit fairly early in the book. Perhaps returned 3 over the year. Used my monthly credits, purchased the 3 credit pack a couple times and purchased a few books individually- although the credit pack seems to be the best option unless you are dealing with books on sale.

Favorite audiobook of the year for me had to be The Pillars of the Earth, and favorite audible original was West Cork.
I have returned a lot of books to Audible. Probably returned twenty last year at least. After one day when I returned several books in one go they did block the feature, but as soon as I contacted customer service they reactivated it for me.

I was using it pretty much the way you describe also, basically only returning a book if I haven't found it enticing enough to listen far into it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #23
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

The War of Art By Steven Pressfield
Shoe Dog By Phil Knight
The Hard Thing about Hard Things By Ben Horowitz
It By Stephen King

Are a few of my favourites.

Last edited by J pold; 02-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'm about 8 hours in 11.22.63 by Stephen King and it's fantastic. The novel is presented in first person and narrator is owning the character. Definitely worth adding to your listening list.
I read that one (versus audiobook) and loved it. Good recommendation.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #25
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It's gotta be tough for male narrators to do female character voices without sounding ridiculous. Stephen Fry is excellent on audiobooks but his Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter audiobooks is cringeworthy.
I bought Stephen Fry narrating the complete Sherlock Holmes collection. It's around 72 hours long. I hope he does a better job with female characters in this.

I read 11.22.63 so I can't comment on the audiobook but I agree that the story is among his best. The audiobook for the Mist is great if you get the dramatic reading with "3D" audio. I'm not sure if that version is on Audible.

If you like fantasy the two Kingkiller Chronicle books are worth a listen.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little off-topic, but does anyone know whether I will keep my credits if I cancel my audible subscription? If not, I guess I'll pick up a few before I cancel it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #27
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I finally tried audible. Found audiobooks just aren’t for me.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I finally tried audible. Found audiobooks just aren’t for me.
I like listening to audiobooks while I walk my dog.

Doesnt work on my morning commute though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
A little off-topic, but does anyone know whether I will keep my credits if I cancel my audible subscription? If not, I guess I'll pick up a few before I cancel it.

I think (not positive) you lose any credits you haven't used yet, but you get to keep the books you bought with them. So if you have a subscription might as well use all your credits before cancelling.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #30
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Today they released The Sandman by Neil Gaiman on Audible.

I've listened to the first couple hours and it's incredible. Easily the highest production value of any audiobook I've heard before. So far it's better than World War Z and American Gods.

Narrated by Gaiman with voice acting by James McAvoy, Riz Ahmed, Kat Dennings, Taron Egerton, Samantha Morton, Bebe Neuwirth, Andy Serkis and Michael Sheen.

Well worth an audible credit for 11 hours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #31
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

That’s high praise because Wold War Z is an excellent performance. I look forward to Max Brooks’ next book about a Sasquatch invasion of a small, isolated town.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #32
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This is definitely more of a radio play than a traditional audiobook. The musical score is excellent as well and really gives it an old timey radio show vibe.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #33
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I listened to Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man written and read by Mary Trump. Honestly, it is 8 hours of family history with the odd Donald revelation thrown in for good measure. Tidbits like he had someone take his college SATs for him. Or that his lawyer sister did many of his Wharton assignments. Bottom line is that Donald from the time he was young was a manipulator of people, a cheat and a liar. Nothing that we didn't know.

Also, I've watched a few interviews with Mary Trump on tv and she comes across as quite unlikeable. She isn't nearly that irritating when she reads the book. I had no problems listening to her for 8 hours. 3 out of 5
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:58 AM   #34
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kate Elizabeth Russells "My Dark Vanessa" was frickin fantastic. Brilliant book, one of the best narrations I've heard, if not the best.

Emotionally heavy stuff though, really uncomfortable at times. But so so good.

"Blood Orange" by Harriet Tyce wasn't bad either.

EDIT: Oh, and I really liked The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman. (It's quite different from the series.)

Last edited by Itse; 07-31-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #35
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Douglas Murray's The Madness of Crowds was great, especially since he narrated it himself. I think every book should be narrated in the Queen's own English. LOTR was very enjoyable to listen to as well. It had been 20 years since I read the books, and it was good to have my memory restored and "cleansed" of the false one created by the movies.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #36
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trevor Noah's auto-biography is narrated by him and it's amazing.

https://www.audible.ca/pd/Born-a-Cri...ook/B0716JR7HT
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #37
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The Horus Heresy's Horus Rising, False Gods and Galaxy in Flames.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #38
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ready Player Two just came out. I have just started it but I expect I'll get through it by the end of the week. I loved Ready Player One and Armada. Hoping this delivers in the same ways. The beginning holds the promise of another story full of imagination and humor.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #39
Charcot
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Burke’s Law

I finished this recently, and highly recommend as an audio book. Entertaining, interesting and genuine. Although written with Stephen Brunt the book is read by Brian Burke. Perhaps it is a testament to runt’s deft hand, but it just sounds like Brian Burke’s chatting with you over a beer. I think this is probably much better as an audiobook. Perhaps it’s not surprising, but he does an excellent job of narrating.

For sure there is the usual Burkean bombast, but a ton of insight in to Burke, the NHL, and the teams and people he worked with. It’s an honest book, in as much as I think he honestly portrays his point of view.

Many sports fan would enjoy it, and I thing most on CP would be interested on his experience through out the league, and with the Flames in particular. Having said that it is probably most affecting when he talks about his family.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #40
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is it possible to burn the audio file for Brian Burkes book onto a cd? If so I would pay someone to do this for me.

I am looking to do this for my father for Christmas but he is getting older and would not read the book does not have devices for audio books. I want him to be able to simply put it into a cd player and listen.

If anyone on here is able to do this for me I would pay you for your time/product.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote