Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #3281
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Pretty scary platform when they don't have a single customer locked in past a month. The second someone does this better they're toast. I wonder why they don't see it this way?

Do they just look at their subscriber numbers and assume they're invincible?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #3282
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe, that combined with some early success on Netflix originals probably skewed how easy they thought it was going to be to lose content from other providers and remain successful. It's kind of like AMC coming out with AMC and Breaking Bad and then never being able to replicate.

Disney+ will be a problem, but less so at the start because Disney is rolling it out with a low price to gain marketshare. If more people had to choose because they were the same price, Netflix can't compete with Disney.

I would assume they know at this point and there's at minimum worry, if not yet panic, in their offices.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #3283
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing though, they do have decent content it’s just not on the Canadian one. Change over to The Netherlands or US and it’s not bad.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #3284
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So has Netflix pretty much abandoned movies?
TV shows make more financial sense than movies. You can do 6 - 13 episodes on the same set with the same actors. That's why they don't typically invest in mini-series. You can carry over those sets to multiple seasons and reduce costs.

Mudbound, Roma, Ballad of Buster Srugs, Okja, Gerald's Game, Beasts of No Nation, Bird Box, Icarus, Velvet Buzzsaw and The Highwaymen. Lots of good original Netflix films.

Last edited by KTrain; 04-27-2019 at 09:34 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #3285
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So Netflix basically refuses to commit to any show past 3 seasons, which would be ok I guess if they let the show runners know in advance, but they don't so we get all of these shows ending on cliff hangers. There's a list of Netflix originals that I've had in my queue, but I'm not going to bother now knowing that most of them won't get proper endings
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #3286
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
One thing though, they do have decent content it’s just not on the Canadian one. Change over to The Netherlands or US and it’s not bad.
I thought I read that Netflix Canada had basically caught up to Netflix US for content?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:54 PM   #3287
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I read that Netflix Canada had basically caught up to Netflix US for content?
Sure seems to have, mind you that could be because slowly bit surely Netflix originals are becoming the best content on there and they're not region locked.

Either way Netflix Canada has made huge strides. Was only a couple years ago it seemed a VPN was essential to using netflix
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:00 PM   #3288
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, I was just thinking maybe it's less to do with how great Netflix Canada has become and more to do with how lacking the US version has become.

I used to envy blockbusters and other great movies on the US version that we couldn't get. But it seems we bridged the gap at least in part due to the US saying "**** good movies, we'll just take people's money until something better comes along and beats us!".
Old 04-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #3289
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That’s probably true. I just looked up what’s being added and removed from US Netflix and looks like a lot of good movies being removed and replaced with Netflix content. I used to watch Better Call Saul, Star Trek Discovery, and Rick & Morty on Netherlands though as the episodes were updated a few days after airing.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #3290
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a big thing too is that Netflix US is losing content to lots of other streaming services, but some of those services aren't available in Canada so those shows are still available here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #3291
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished season 2 of The OA.

I don't remeber the last time I yelled "HOLY ####" at my TV.

This is probably the most creatively ambitious TV show anyone has ever made.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #3292
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I just finished season 2 of The OA.

I don't remeber the last time I yelled "HOLY ####" at my TV.

This is probably the most creatively ambitious TV show anyone has ever made.
It was ####### amazing. I can't think of a show as intricate, thoughtful, creative, and convoluted (in a good way?) that i've ever seen. The very ending of season two didn't knock my socks off, but the rest of it idid.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:54 PM   #3293
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't totally sure what to think after season 1, but I don't care if it does take another two plus years, I'm in. I need more of this. It's unique.

One of the things I respect about what Batmanglij and Marling have done is that there is no taking the easy road. There are some things that, out of context, sound utterly silly about this show. Even in context, you kind of have to be the sort of person who is open to a certain degree of suspension of disbelief. The way most shows now would deal with the epic or the strange is to wink at the audience - allow us to maintain our cynicism by reassuring us that this is all ironic and that the show is in on it, and you're allowed to enjoy the bizarre because "we're not taking ourselves too seriously". Nope - this show does take itself seriously, and doesn't apologize. There's no punches pulled and therefore no stage slap. That's art, not entertainment.

I think the show is polarizing for a number of reasons. There are obviously people who the show is not for because they just don't like anything "weird" or challenging in their TV. There are people who the show isn't for because they can't process abstractions. There are, on the other side, people who are suspicious of anything that might be artistically pretentious and reject anything that could be interpreted that way as a sort of defense mechanism against seeming pretentious themselves. In other words, this is a total niche. Twin Peaks is the only thing I can compare it to in TV. In movies, it kind of reminds me of Aronofsky's "Fountain".

Anyway, if I was a billionaire, I'd find out what a season of this costs and just pay them to make season 3. It's not the greatest TV show out there, or anything close - far too haphazard - but stuff like this needs to get made. You know... if there was any other stuff like this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 04-28-2019 at 11:57 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #3294
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I download content in Canada will it play when I’m in the U.S.?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #3295
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If I download content in Canada will it play when I’m in the U.S.?

It won’t play it, it will give you a error. To get around it, just put the device in airplane mode.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #3296
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched downloaded content on the plan yesterday but I suppose that’s because it was not connected to any network. I did have a few expired titles that I had not watched and wanted to redo load but it would not let me. Which brings me to a related question - is the content you see dependant on where your account is or where the device is? In other words is the content I see different depending on where I am?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #3297
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

You will see different content depending on where you are.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #3298
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched "The Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much" about the guy behind the perfect bid on the The Price is Right. That was surprisingly interesting.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #3299
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I just watched "The Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much" about the guy behind the perfect bid on the The Price is Right. That was surprisingly interesting.
I agree - it was strangely appealing. It also scared me to realize just how much I knew about The Price is Right. I guess all those years of university have helped with something.

I haven’t really watched since Drew Carey took over, but that interview they showed with him on there really made me dislike him as the host - he really seemed to #### on the entire culture of the show and it’s die hard fans.

And, surprisingly, Bob Barker is apparently still alive.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 12:41 AM   #3300
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I agree - it was strangely appealing. It also scared me to realize just how much I knew about The Price is Right. I guess all those years of university have helped with something.

I haven’t really watched since Drew Carey took over, but that interview they showed with him on there really made me dislike him as the host - he really seemed to #### on the entire culture of the show and it’s die hard fans.

And, surprisingly, Bob Barker is apparently still alive.
I’m sure he has been spayed or neutered
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote