Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #1121
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tokyo drift being canned now. Theyre gonna make a killing on it.

Definitely impressed with Cabin Brewing- super duper was phenomenal, but I believe it is done now.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #1122
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It still irritates me that most of the craft brewries have switch to cans instead of bottles. I know it's a big cost savings, but beer just tastes better out of glass than it does aluminum. That's why Legend 7 is my new favorite local brewery, keeping things classic
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #1123
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really like Cabin. My local liquor store has trouble keeping it in stock. I love IPA's so I'm pleased that Tokyo drift is now in being canned.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #1124
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It still irritates me that most of the craft brewries have switch to cans instead of bottles. I know it's a big cost savings, but beer just tastes better out of glass than it does aluminum. That's why Legend 7 is my new favorite local brewery, keeping things classic
Cans > bottles. If you don’t like the taste out of a can pour the beer into a glass.

Beer in cans stay fresher and taste better due to not being exposed to light like in a bottle. Then add how they store better in a fridge and won’t clank/break in transportation and it is an easy choice. Also I love some of the art work on craft beer cans which is not possible on a bottle.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #1125
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Cans > bottles. If you don’t like the taste out of a can pour the beer into a glass.

Beer in cans stay fresher and taste better due to not being exposed to light like in a bottle. Then add how they store better in a fridge and won’t clank/break in transportation and it is an easy choice. Also I love some of the art work on craft beer cans which is not possible on a bottle.
I can also throw empty cans to my recycling bin from far away without worrying about them breaking if I miss
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #1126
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Might be subjective, but cans are far superior to bottles

1. They keep out light completely
2. They are better sealed, which lets them have a longer shelf life
3. They are lighter
4. They are easier to transport (including in golf bags/backpacks)
5. Total package oxygen is less in cans (which is a big deal in a hoppy beer)
6. There is no taste imparted from the can (myth) cans are lined on the inside
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #1127
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Funny, just found this "study" which states people "prefer" beer when it comes from a bottle and they know it, but can't tell the difference when they can't see the packaging

https://www.alcoholprofessor.com/blo...ottle-or-a-can
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #1128
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tokyo drift being canned? Amazing, one of the best beers in calgary.

If you like tokyo drift, find snake lake brewing "Birthday Suit" double ipa. Amazing beer, much like tokyo (maybe even a bit better? And I say this as a huge lover of tokyo).
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #1129
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Utappd shows Birthday Suit as no longer in production.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #1130
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Utappd shows Birthday Suit as no longer in production.
That would be a terrible thing. It really is amazing. Found it at brentwood Liquor Depot.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #1131
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate drinking beer out of cans. Gives it a metallic flavor.

Even bottles I pour now so neither matters since it all ends up in a glass.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #1132
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

These short run single and double ipas have become the norm in the craft beer world- and they are typically the best ones. Expensive and difficult to get hops is likely the rationale, but also smart marketing I think- creates buzz and demand for a difficult to find beer.

Super duper and terrestrial magnetism were two good examples, but Forgetful Brewer double ipa from Outcast was quite possibly the best ipa I have ever had out of Alberta, and it was gone in days.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #1133
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
These short run single and double ipas have become the norm in the craft beer world- and they are typically the best ones. Expensive and difficult to get hops is likely the rationale, but also smart marketing I think- creates buzz and demand for a difficult to find beer.

Super duper and terrestrial magnetism were two good examples, but Forgetful Brewer double ipa from Outcast was quite possibly the best ipa I have ever had out of Alberta, and it was gone in days.
Craft cellars still has it in stock. Same with Outcast Biggie and Smalls. Looks like Forgetful brewer might become a year round.

And yes, Cans > Bottles for beer and it's not even close. Nobody should be drinking beer out of the bottle or can as your missing half of the beer (aroma) while drinking. Use a glass.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #1134
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Picked up a bunch of Tokyo drift on the weekend too. So happy it's in cans. There's a 'golden' lid/glitter promotion too. If your drift pours out glitter you win a brewday at Last Best.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #1135
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Are we doing cans vs. bottles? Because it's cans. Every time.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #1136
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Are we doing cans vs. bottles? Because it's cans. Every time.
It's got to be at least somewhat dependent on the type of beer. Lambics and other wild ales are usually in corked or cork and capped bottles for bottle conditioning and aging. I am guessing those will not go to cans ever and would likely have issues with exploding or cans breaking down over time since they are intended to be aged for years.

All the big BA and barleywines are usually in large format bottles. I suppose cans would work for them, but it doesn't seem right.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #1137
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Co-op now has Tokyo Drift. According to them, there was only 50 flats allocated to all Co-ops. Westsprings got 4 flats. It's supposed to be a limited run I guess.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #1138
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The correct answer is kegs.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #1139
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

... wait ... people still drink beer from the can/bottle?

I always pour to a glass, or if at a party or gathering perhaps a plastic cup.

Release the carbonation, get the smell, enjoy the beer.

I honestly don't remember the last time I drank beer directly from the can/bottle. I'm drinking from a glass watching the ball game right now.

All that said, I used to collect bottles, but with the craft switch to cans I stopped and turned them into the recycling depot.

In terms of Calgary micro-breweries I cannot comment. If you want to know about the Nova Scotian micro-breweries send me a PM, or feel free to chat Thursday at Breton Brewing Trivia

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:51 PM   #1140
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
... wait ... people still drink beer from the can/bottle?

I always pour to a glass, or if at a party or gathering perhaps a plastic cup.

Release the carbonation, get the smell, enjoy the beer.

I honestly don't remember the last time I drank beer directly from the can/bottle. I'm drinking from a glass watching the ball game right now.

All that said, I used to collect bottles, but with the craft switch to cans I stopped and turned them into the recycling depot.

In terms of Calgary micro-breweries I cannot comment. If you want to know about the Nova Scotian micro-breweries send me a PM, or feel free to chat Thursday at Breton Brewing Trivia
Cans for microbreweries all the way, but Belgian beers belong in a bottle- for no other reason than that is the norm, although I have seen Chimay in cans lately, which is a little weird.

Heady Topper, one of the top 3 (arguably) IPAs in the world has the message on the top to drink directly from the can- it is a very carbonated beer I guess and not sure if the pour messes with that?

Saw someone mention Snake Lake in a post above- another great new brewery that hit the ground running with some solid beers.

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty