Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #1401
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
There is 1 weakness that every super hero has and that is logic.

You guys sure want to take the fun out of everything huh?
Meh, I don't think just because someone has fantastical powers means there can't be consistency and logic.

I'll use an example that sent a friend of mine into a rage quit. GI Joe. Pretty much an objectively bad movie for many reasons. However, I can get on board with fancy jets, and ninjas and crazy robot suits. But when ice starts to sink, that's a problem. Ice doesn't sink. We know that. We don't know how sweet robot suits would work so yeah, have your fun with that, but ICE DOESN'T SINK.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #1402
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of inconsistent powers, I was just watching Age of Ultron and am now wondering what happened to Wanda's telepathic abilities? She has the ability to mind read and cause visions which allows her to take out most of the Avengers yet we never see that again. Those powers definitely could have come in handy in Civil War and Infinity War. Maybe it it related to her losing her accent?
Old 04-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #1403
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Speaking of inconsistent powers, I was just watching Age of Ultron and am now wondering what happened to Wanda's telepathic abilities? She has the ability to mind read and cause visions which allows her to take out most of the Avengers yet we never see that again. Those powers definitely could have come in handy in Civil War and Infinity War. Maybe it it related to her losing her accent?

I agree. But I think after Ultron, the Russo brothers took a different approach to try and reel everyone in a bit and make them more consistent.

In Civil War they really stress Wanda's youth and inexperience. She was only given her powers a little while ago, and I would argue that Ultron was unrealistic in both Maximov's expertise in using their powers. So I think they de-powered her a bit so they had more room to pump her up more later.

I kind of wish they kept her alive for Endgame. Would have been interesting to see her more vengeance-driven.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #1404
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I tend to think that the enemies in Infinity war were so powerful, and especially Thanos that her mind tricks and mind reading wouldn't have worked.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #1405
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Thor Ragnorok, Thor gets taken out with a stun gun. In Infinity War he is able to restart a dying star.
Unwatchable!
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #1406
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Powers and power levels don't have a tonne of meaning in a superhero movie, in terms of determining the quality of the movie itself. A good superhero movie has the characters overcoming internal conflicts that their superpowers have no bearing on at all.

This is why Iron Man and Batman work.

This is also why Aquaman didn't. No character in that film grew at all. In fact, it would have been an interesting film if everyone started out as perfect people, and then regressed, but instead they all kind of stayed the same and did stuff.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #1407
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hellboy comes out today, and got trashed by critics and isn't supposed to do good at the box office this weekend. I hope I enjoy it but probably will wait until it's released on 4K to watch it.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #1408
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I bet they're regretting not making that 3rd Pearlman/del Toro movie instead.

I'll be waiting for home release on this one. Hellboy is one of my favourite comic characters and I loved the first two movies. It's disappointing to see that this one will likely stall the franchise again.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #1409
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I bet they're regretting not making that 3rd Pearlman/del Toro movie instead.

I'll be waiting for home release on this one. Hellboy is one of my favourite comic characters and I loved the first two movies. It's disappointing to see that this one will likely stall the franchise again.
The release window certainly didnt help considering this isn't a character from the big 2. This had to deal with Cap Marvel, Shazam, End Game. The studio didn't put it in a position to succeed no matter the quality IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #1410
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CGI looks laughably bad in the previews, not surprised it got bad reviews.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #1411
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I just heard that New Mutants is getting pushed back again and won't be released in 2019. It is officially the Chinese Democracy of superhero movies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #1412
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also I just heard that New Mutants is getting pushed back again and won't be released in 2019. It is officially the Chinese Democracy of superhero movies.
Would anybody be shocked if New Mutants became a direct to Disney+ title.

Feels like exactly the type of title that Disney won't bring to theatres anymore but will launch exclusively on the streaming platform.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #1413
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Would anybody be shocked if New Mutants became a direct to Disney+ title.

Feels like exactly the type of title that Disney won't bring to theatres anymore but will launch exclusively on the streaming platform.
I guess there are still a bunch of re-shoots that still need to happen so at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Disney just scraps the whole thing. Really disheartening the trailer showed some real promise
Old 04-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #1414
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess there are still a bunch of re-shoots that still need to happen so at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Disney just scraps the whole thing. Really disheartening the trailer showed some real promise
Could they even do re-shoots at this point...wouldn't all the kids be like 2-3 years older.

Kind of hard to just play that off in re-shoots.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #1415
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
The release window certainly didnt help considering this isn't a character from the big 2. This had to deal with Cap Marvel, Shazam, End Game. The studio didn't put it in a position to succeed no matter the quality IMO.
To he fair Hellboy only had a budget of $50 million. It sounds like the production was a total mess. Various studio people interfering. This seems to be an ongoing theme with R rated superhero flicks.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #1416
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Hellboy doesn't need to be R rated.

The first two built a beautiful, weird and fun world to play in. Unfortunately it sounds like del Toro wanted too much budget to finish it off the way he wanted. The first only made $100 mill and the second made $160 .
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #1417
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well now with the Flames playoff series over earlier than expected the focus shifts to the other big April hype - End Game!!!

Does everyone have tickets?

I’m going Thursday night and I can’t wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #1418
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Well now with the Flames playoff series over earlier than expected the focus shifts to the other big April hype - End Game!!!

Does everyone have tickets?

I’m going Thursday night and I can’t wait.
Haha same here, gotta throw myself into something else. Had expected the Flames to at least be playing until May. It's a shame they don't have that Avengers marathon in Alberta, I would love to give that a shot one day.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #1419
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Haha same here, gotta throw myself into something else. Had expected the Flames to at least be playing until May. It's a shame they don't have that Avengers marathon in Alberta, I would love to give that a shot one day.
Do it at home. You can pause to take a leak.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #1420
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Isn't there some marathons coming up this week on cable networks? I thought I saw one for showtime.

PVR what you need.