Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #301
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I was aware of it in a vague sense, but had no idea how dark and crude it is.

It's great, thanks!
Wow. Season 3 rocked!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #302
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I watched the Macho Man/Elizabeth and Screwjob episodes and haven't been back since. Some Ok nuggets in there but didn't much care for it overall.

Although came away more convinced the screwjob was a work.

Lance Storm came out strongly stating that it wasn't a work and that in conversations with Bret he was completely gutted by it.

It was a pretty bad idea of a work if it was, remember that Bret Hart was still at the height of his career and he was the one wrestler that if used properly could have really hurt WCW. Instead they pissed him away with nonsensical booking and stupid story lines.

If there was a work aspect to it, Bret wasn't involved in it, it was the backstage conspiracy by Vince, HHH, Paterson and others.

The sad fact is that Bret went to WCW and was swallowed up by the powergames of Nash, Hogan and Hall and at that point Bischoff was burning out in the backroom and had no ideas to follow up the one awesome idea that he stole from Japan (NWO)

If you read interviews and look back at Bret's career, his entrance into WCW was wrecked in that first PPV where he acted as a so called special guest referee, and then turned a billion times and.

The only thing that stands out was that amazing match between Bret and Benoit after Owen died that was a classic.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #303
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I posted about it last week, but the 2nd episode of HBO’s Chernobyl mini-series was last night and it is completely captivating, a must watch
Turned it on last night, and instantly watched 3 hours straight. What a captivating, horrifying show. Spent another hour reading more details on the web.

The show is so detailed, it is insane.

One of the most difficult shows I have watched, but carries with it such historic importance. Should be mandatory viewing in High School Social Studies class.

Fantastic, and yet, will chill you to the core.

Last edited by Jbo; 05-25-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #304
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

If you like Chernobyl, HBO is doing a podcast with the writer/producer/showrunner which is also great. He talks about researching and writing the series, what is real what isn't (it's pretty darn accurate but a few characters are composites of several people).

Just daunting. Scariest thing I've watched. I'm learning as much as I can about Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, Fukashima, etc.

100% reccomend Chernobyl and the podcast (which is on YouTube)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #305
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Chernobyl may end up being the greatest mini-series of all time. Currently has the highest rating of any TV show ever on IMDB
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #306
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy #### Chernobyl is great. Made it through 2 tonight, will catch up on 3 tomorrow.

Based on the focus so far, I don't believe much focus will be on the why, so if anyone is interested in a very succinct and plain English synopsis of the many many bad decisions that led to it, I'll spoiler a post from SA forums poster Honkey Dong Country below:

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #307
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also of some interest may be this pictorial of the construction and aftermath:

https://m.imgur.com/a/TwY6q

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #308
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Holy #### Chernobyl is great. Made it through 2 tonight, will catch up on 3 tomorrow.

Based on the focus so far, I don't believe much focus will be on the why, so if anyone is interested in a very succinct and plain English synopsis of the many many bad decisions that led to it, I'll spoiler a post from SA forums poster Honkey Dong Country below:
I'm halfway through episode 2 and I feel ill. Very powerful series so far.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #309
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Lance Storm came out strongly stating that it wasn't a work and that in conversations with Bret he was completely gutted by it.

It was a pretty bad idea of a work if it was, remember that Bret Hart was still at the height of his career and he was the one wrestler that if used properly could have really hurt WCW. Instead they pissed him away with nonsensical booking and stupid story lines.

If there was a work aspect to it, Bret wasn't involved in it, it was the backstage conspiracy by Vince, HHH, Paterson and others.

The sad fact is that Bret went to WCW and was swallowed up by the powergames of Nash, Hogan and Hall and at that point Bischoff was burning out in the backroom and had no ideas to follow up the one awesome idea that he stole from Japan (NWO)

If you read interviews and look back at Bret's career, his entrance into WCW was wrecked in that first PPV where he acted as a so called special guest referee, and then turned a billion times and.

The only thing that stands out was that amazing match between Bret and Benoit after Owen died that was a classic.
The screw job worked out very well for Vince. I don’t pretend to know the truth, but I don’t think wrestling angles are the most well thought out things in the world. It could have been a way for both parties to save face and nothing more than that. The reasons why this hasn’t totally rung true to me:

Why didn’t Bret just let Shawn go over? He knew he was leaving and he lost to him before. Yes it was in Canada but I think Bret knew wresting was fake and that it was simply accepted in wrestling to leave a promotion on your back. He seriously thought his employer would be good with him just handing over the belt, leaving the promotion as a champion? Bret is smarter than that, isn’t he?

His reaction seemed overblown. Destroying the monitors etc?

The unparalleled access of the documentary on Bret. And the incredibly lucky timing.

The great camerawork capturing the whole thing.

To me the greatest argument suggesting it was real is both sides sticking to their story for so long.

Work or shoot, doesn’t really change much for me with how I think about it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #310
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm bummed that A.P. Bio got cancelled. It's really come into its own in the second season. I started watching because of Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt but the kids are the real stars of the show. Paula Pell (a longtime SNL writer) is a gem as well.

There are a few episodes left to air. If you haven't watched it, or bailed early on, give it a chance. It's really funny and I'm hoping NBC changes their minds.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #311
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

For f*** sakes.

AP Bio, cancelled.
The Kids Are Alright, cancelled.

But let's make another spinoff of Black-ish. A spin-off expliring Rainbow's childhood would be great, despite her character being average and her backstory being boring.

What's with TV executives cancelling smart sitcoms that are doing well?

Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #312
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ratings often matter less than a production studio that is affiliated with the distribution channel. These both seem affiliated though, so the ratings must not have been high enough to bother.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #313
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Is anyone watching the 12 monkeys tv show? The last few seasons have received pretty positive reviews.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #314
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The screw job worked out very well for Vince. I don’t pretend to know the truth, but I don’t think wrestling angles are the most well thought out things in the world. It could have been a way for both parties to save face and nothing more than that. The reasons why this hasn’t totally rung true to me:
That was more fortunate then planning. At the time, the WWE was getting pummeled and in real danger of going under. Paychecks were bouncing on a Canadian tour. Vince stumbled into the attitude era that only worked because he became the biggest heel in the company after the Bret screwed Bret speech. After he made that his advisors pushed him into a huge on screen role.

Quote:
Why didn’t Bret just let Shawn go over? He knew he was leaving and he lost to him before. Yes it was in Canada but I think Bret knew wresting was fake and that it was simply accepted in wrestling to leave a promotion on your back. He seriously thought his employer would be good with him just handing over the belt, leaving the promotion as a champion? Bret is smarter than that, isn’t he?
This goes back to a meeting between Bret and Shawn, where Bret had a meeting with Vince and Shawn before Vince tried to get out of his contract and stated that he was willing to do what's best for the company and put Shawn over if it was called for. This was after a backstage feud with Shawn with the infamous Sunny days promo that lead to Bret punching Shawn out backstage and Shawn going off to find his smile garbage. When Bret tried to make peace, Shawn informed him and Vince that he had no intention of paying that back or letting any other performer go over him. This was at both the height of Shawn's backstage power, and also Shawn was at the height of being a back stage destructive influence on the company. Bret was very traditional. But at that point Bret and Shawn were so fractured that Bret when it came time for Montreal absolutely refused to let Shawn go over him, instead Bret offered to let Austin or Mankind go over him for the belt. He even offered to drop the belt the next night on Raw.

Quote:
His reaction seemed overblown. Destroying the monitors etc?
He saw Vince as a father figure and absolutely trusted him to do the right thing, they had agreed earlier that day for the match to be a DQ and for Bret to hand over the belt the next night. Instead Vince came out and screwed over Bret and what's worse Earl Hebner who had swore up and down to Bret that he wouldn't let anything happen to Bret was part of the conspiracy. Basically his reaction was a blow up over the war with Shawn, Vince betraying him. It was a pretty muted reaction compared to what it could have been because Bret was really respected as a legitimate well trained shooter. Also the reaction from the undertaker and Mankind boycotting Raw the next night which was costly to ratings.

Quote:
The unparalleled access of the documentary on Bret. And the incredibly lucky timing.
Remember that the documentary was being shot long before Vince tried to get out of his contract with Bret.

Quote:
The great camerawork capturing the whole thing.
WWE camera work has always been amazing though.

Quote:
To me the greatest argument suggesting it was real is both sides sticking to their story for so long.

Work or shoot, doesn’t really change much for me with how I think about it.
There was legitimate heat between Vince and Bret, remember that after the death of Owen, Vince completely buried Bret after the funeral. It wasn't until Bret had his stroke and one of the first people to check on him was Vince that the ice was broken.

I have my doubts that this was a work, I think it was pretty legit. Like I said the biggest thing for me is that if WCW had known what to do with Bret when he got there, WWE would probably be dead now. They had the hottest commodity in Wrestling with a naturally built storyline. Instead Eric let Nash and Hogan flat out kill Bret's heat.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #315
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're up for it, it's completely worth rewatching all 15 seasons of 'ER'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/24/enter...tch/index.html
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #316
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't tell if he's full of #### or not, but I could listen to Jim Cornette talk wrestling all day long.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #317
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, hold on to your Butts, but I agree with Psycnet.

Chernobyl is AMAZING.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #318
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, hold on to your Butts, but I agree with Psycnet.

Chernobyl is AMAZING.
If it makes it more palatable for you, you could phrase it as if you agree with me... which I mean, everyone should regardless of the issue at hand.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #319
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Also of some interest may be this pictorial of the construction and aftermath:

https://m.imgur.com/a/TwY6q

The pictures in that link are very powerful.

Thank you.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #320
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well now that I'm done with GOT, I've got to find something else to watch.

I did start watching the older seasons of deadliest catch, I'm up to season 5 I think.