Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #5521
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

There are so many legitimate gripes with the quality of the writing, in particular how they've made the previously-interesting characters mere plot-armoured tropes, that I certainly understand the petition - even if it's ultimately useless.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #5522
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reactions in that bar are hilarious. It's just a TV show, it's not something important like sports. ;-)

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #5523
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
What a pointless petition.

The more people get outraged over Dany's turn, the more I seem to enjoy it.

Sweet schadenfreude.

That's amazing to me. The fans were showing so much relief when the Bells rang, and cheered as Cersei showed defeat on her face. There were fans in that crowd that basically took a deep breath and looked at their significant other with a smile.

Then the switch turned and people couldn't take their eyes off of the screen (By the way I loved Emilia Clarke's facial features as the bell rang as she went from uncertainty to a terrible resolve).

The biggest surprise was the reaction to Grey Worms actions. I've loved his character so far as he's become a free man and fell in love, he always seemed to be really brave so far and honorable and all too human. In that moment he became almost as evil as his Queen.

I want to add on something that I saw in the Hells bells clip. They did a great job of making the Kings Landing soldiers almost heroic as they were trying to get civilians moving and to safety, and Jon and his army became the butchers and the villains.

I guess because seasons 1 through 6 are still in my mind, when it comes to Daeny's going evil, it just wouldn't have surprised me even if i wasn't spoiled on it. At some point I would have certainly expected that her hunger for conquest, power, and her world view would have lead to her being a really oppressive ruler.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #5524
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see a demographic breakdown of that petition.

Like good god, how much of a self-entitled baby-adult do you have to be to sign a petition like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #5525
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Sign the petition to stop signing petitions: https://www.change.org/p/hollywood-s...7-bd818df1cd26
I don’t do petitions but I’d sign that one.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #5526
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Our best hope is Disney saves the next Star Wars trilogy by firing D&D.

That's basically what this is about. Letting D&D know that this #### was bad...and they should feel bad.
This is such ridiculous sentiment. This game of thrones season was not bad. Describing it as bad ignored that the Big Bang theory final season exists.

If the show was truly bad you would quit watching. It isn’t bad. It is not of the same quality of the first few seasons but even then if the first seasons were watched as critically as these last two have they would be remembered as fondly as the way they are now.

They yadda, yadda’d the main battle, The house of the undying. Jaimie raping Cersei then she enjoying it. Bran being drug around episode after episode. The amount of time spent on Ramsay / Theon. The show wasn’t six seasons of amazing TV then utter crap and the books certainly aren’t 5 amazing tomes either. The quality ebbed and flowed throughout and provided lots of entertainment. Criticism is reasonable, ridiculous hyperbole is not
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #5527
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'd love to see a demographic breakdown of that petition.

Like good god, how much of a self-entitled baby-adult do you have to be to sign a petition like that.

I guess people want TV shows that are like those books where you could pick the course.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #5528
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lol

https://entertainment.theonion.com/g...m=&/setsession

Quote:
LOS ANGELES—Saying their once-beloved viewers have lost much of their luster in recent years, Game Of Thrones showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff acknowledged Friday they have been frustrated with the way fans of the HBO series have declined in quality over the past few seasons. “During the show’s first couple of years, our viewers showed a lot of promise and challenged our assumptions about what a fan base could be,” Benioff told reporters, lamenting the fact that when Game Of Thrones moved past George R.R. Martin’s original source material, the show’s supporters began to lose coherence and now barely resemble the industry-defining audience they once were. “At this point, however, they’ve become a tired cliché. It’s hard to watch them lose everything that made us love them in the first place. Nothing they do makes any sense anymore, and it just seems like they want the show to be over with as quickly as possible. It’s pretty sad, to be honest.” At press time, Benioff and Weiss expressed regret that they failed to do more to prevent the fans from becoming so unbelievably ####ty.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #5529
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beaverton got in on it too

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/05...eyre-so-smart/

Quote:
Game of Thrones writers petition fans to write their own goddamn show, if they’re so smart

“We named our petition ‘Just try and write a massive fantasy epic as well as us, you ungrateful little ####s,” exclaimed Benioff, smoking a joint made from a rolled-up thousand dollar bill. “I’d love to see them do it. I’d love to see them condense 1500 individual plotlines into one season in a way that makes everyone happy, without any source material whatsoever. I’m sure they’ll do just great.”

Quote:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #5530
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I’m going to assume the majority of people signing this aren’t actually stupid enough to believe petitions have any effect, and are doing it more as a general show of dissatisfaction.

Oh I wouldn't
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #5531
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Everyone's complaints are on the lazy and rushed writing. And the ridiculous plot armour some characters (namely Arya) have had.
And the fact that it didn't need to be rushed whatsoever. It was a choice D&D made to shorten S7 and S8.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #5532
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As has been mentioned, THEY chose to make it so condensed and nonsensical, there were not budgetary constraints, no known casting issues, they decided to end it now
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #5533
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
As has been mentioned, THEY chose to make it so condensed and nonsensical, there were not budgetary constraints, no known casting issues, they decided to end it now
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #5534
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If the show was truly bad you would quit watching. It isn’t bad. It is not of the same quality of the first few seasons but even then if the first seasons were watched as critically as these last two have they would be remembered as fondly as the way they are now.
Yes I'll back up, I was exaggerating there.

I just can't ignore stark contrast between the quality of writing of earlier seasons to this final season.

In S8, Jon's lines are basically pick 1 out of 4 (ma queen, don't want it, etc.) and Tyrion is all about dick jokes.

In S08E02 we have Jamie knighting Brienne and charging her to protect the innocent...then two episodes later he runs away "lol I don't actually care about the innocent, love Cersei still tho".

It's all just happening way too fast
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #5535
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Responding to that pic..^^^Or don't like it and move on with your life instead of expecting entertainment to be specifically catered to your vision.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #5536
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Ashasx; 05-17-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #5537
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Someone didn't read the article.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #5538
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Someone didn't read the article.
Read the quoted portion you opted to feature
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #5539
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Read the quoted portion you opted to feature
I also linked an article.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #5540
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Everyone's complaints are on the lazy and rushed writing. And the ridiculous plot armour some characters (namely Arya) have had.
That's fair, and even valid. But I think for the people putting in this much effort to express their dissatisfaction, perhaps some reflection on their priorities in life is warranted. When you spend more time complaining than watching the show itself... You're just bleeding your finite life energy into a black hole of worthlessness that accomplishes nothing and will have accomplished nothing when all is said and done.

And D&D perched out in the backyards of their beach houses with their feet up probably don't give a rat's rear end, so why should you or I? Except for what entertainment we can get out of what's already done.

As the lyrics of that musical piece from 'Frozen' go...
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: