Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #281
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
According to this clip it's earth 616

https://twitter.com/user/status/1125853902803542017
I'm not accepting that as proof that this is 616. It's very easy to just say how they measured their multiverse analysis just landed on that number as an easter egg. Unless this is going to be completely separate from the Marvel multiverse then this isn't 616.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #282
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Because $$$

Disney, seeing how crazy successful its Frozen movie was among young girls and the amount of money it brought in, realised they could capitalise on it again with a strong female superhero in the MCU. One that wouldnt take a back seat to the male superheroes

Among all the females in the Marvel comics, Ms. Marvel made sense to them. But then, they changed everything about her. Her look, her story, her powers. They even changed her name to Captain Marvel.

In the comics, she was an Avenger, but wasn't a key player in the Infinity War storyline. Heck, I dont think even Silver Surfer or Sentry in the comics was as strong as the MCU portrayed Captain Marvel to be. If anyone have ever watched the '90s Xmen cartoon, she's as strong as Rogue (as Rogue stole Ms. Marvel's powers and put her in a coma) and Rogue wasnt considered a key member in that series.

So congratulations Disney Execs. They saw this feminist movement and every non comic fan is eating this character up while the Execs rode it's wave to another billion+ dollar franchise in Captain Marvel. Every young girl is buying up her merch and the only thing missing is a catchy "let it go" song
This isn’t even Nerd Rage correct.

There have been about 10 different iterations of the Captain Marvel character. The first version DC sued because he was too close to Superman. While Carol Daveners aka Ms Marvel in the comics is about the power level you are indicating the Carol Daveners in the Movie has a power level similar to the other Captain Marvels. As the MCU is it’s own independent universe this is a perfectly reasonable interpretation of existing canon

The original Mar-Vell who was Kree and got power from the sun actually defeated Thanos using time travel.

What they did was took part of the Navy back story of Carol Daveners and Part of the Mar-Vell Kree backstory and a few other versions like the one fighting with nova core and build a new character.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #283
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Few things. That wiki link doesn’t seem to mention why they think the MCU is earth 199999. Seems arbitrary, no? Unless it’s been specifically stated by a trustworthy source, I’m not sure we can say for sure what earth they’re on

Also since everyone is speculating that Mysterio is BSing Spidey and Fury, I don’t think we can yet accept that clip as proof that the MCU is 616.
Google 199999 and you'll see multiple sources. Im not sure where that number came from, but for whatever reason seems to be accepted by many sources.

Last edited by TheyCallMeBruce; 05-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #284
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

My only complaint about Captain Marvel was that she wasn't in more of the movie. The way they built it up, I thought she'd be a main character.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #285
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is there will be a Cinematic universe 616 and a comic universe 616.

And they will align both as 616 since it will be our “main” earth is both the comic and cinematic universes.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #286
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Google 199999 and you'll see multiple sources. Im not sure where that number came from, but for whatever reason seems to be accepted by many sources.
That’s the thing, there are no primary sources. Everyone knows earth 19999 is the MCU but no one knows why. All I find is references that’s what Marvel/Disney called the MCU but nothing official and there are no in universe examples. In fact pretty much every in universe reference, like Thor 2, say that 616 has been referenced time and again. It’s just that until now people thought they were nothing more than fan service Easter eggs.

Seems like earth 19999 may have been nothing more than a placeholder and people just ran with it.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-07-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #287
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That’s the thing, there are no primary sources. Everyone knows earth 19999 is the MCU but no one knows why. All I find is references that’s what Marvel/Disney called the MCU but nothing official and there are no in universe examples. In fact pretty much every in universe reference, like Thor 2, say that 616 has been referenced time and again. It’s just that until now people thought they were nothing more than fan service Easter eggs.

Seems like earth 19999 may have been nothing more than a placeholder and people just ran with it.
At this point it doesnt matter anymore. it's in a MCU movie now. Unless the trailer is an incredible ruse to trick us, it is pretty much canon now.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #288
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
At this point it doesnt matter anymore. it's in a MCU movie now. Unless the trailer is an incredible ruse to trick us, it is pretty much canon now.
An elaborate ruse to trick us? Hmm, that sounds like something a Spider-Man villain would do but I can't quite put my finger on what one.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #289
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should probably identify my problem with Captain Marvel's power level, not as an issue with women, or with various comic canon, but as... boring. When you make a character invincible, you make them boring.

If I remember correctly, 2 of the most powerful characters in the comics were given fatal flaws. Scarlett Witch completely lost touch with reality, and Sentry was a complete emotional wreck. This humanized them, and made their power levels pretty much irrelevant.

That said, if they do another Captain Marvel movie, and she has a massive personal obstacle to overcome in order to use any of her power, then that is interesting, awesome, and all is forgiven.

It would also retcon her previous appearances into being much cooler.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #290
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I should probably identify my problem with Captain Marvel's power level, not as an issue with women, or with various comic canon, but as... boring. When you make a character invincible, you make them boring.

If I remember correctly, 2 of the most powerful characters in the comics were given fatal flaws. Scarlett Witch completely lost touch with reality, and Sentry was a complete emotional wreck. This humanized them, and made their power levels pretty much irrelevant.

That said, if they do another Captain Marvel movie, and she has a massive personal obstacle to overcome in order to use any of her power, then that is interesting, awesome, and all is forgiven.

It would also retcon her previous appearances into being much cooler.
I think if they are doing Eternals, and Adam Warlock and keep Captain Marvel Cosimic there are plenty of people more powerful than her. Or her Power level will just be appropriately cut based on her Villian. If they do a run towards a Galactus / Silver Surfer her power level will be fine.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #291
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was about to post a near exact post as GGG. There's already Adam Warlock teased, but whatever next big-bad after Thanos will need to be in conversation for "strongest being in the universe" when it's introduced (whether it's Galactus or some other entity). They also got the rights to X-Men now for a laundry-list of characters that could subdue her if they needed to. Or heck, even somehow-living Hela could rival her.

That's the thing with comic books, even when they bring out omnipotent characters, they can always follow it up with someone even more powerful, somehow.

But in general the problem with comic book movies is 'powers' being convenient for the plot. Okoye, Hawkeye, Black Widow, all of those guys are simply human. Even Captain America is still human, if not the perfect human, they shouldn't have been factors in battles that had beings like Odinforce Thor, Thanos, Hulk, etc. duking it out.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #292
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few random thoughts after some time to digest:

I still hold by my comment the first act was possibly the best dark comedy ever. It starts with Hawkeye, the first tear jerker moment of the film, which gets you understanding this is going to be dark and depressing. Then you get Tony Stark trapped in space with Nebula which as a concept is just hilarious. That paper football scene was great. Add on Stark slowly going insane and ending up with massive PTSD but he still has that great sense of humour and is constantly cracking ever darkening jokes. Then there is Professor Hulk which I found pretty funny and a nice twist for the character. Finally you have Thor, who fails in defeating Thanos twice, losing his people twice, and then fails in fixing any of it, becoming depressed and turning into a fat drunken basement dwelling slob. My only compliant is not seeing him take a hit from a bong. It is so sad but also kind of funny.

Speaking of fat Thor that was great and not just because I now have a Halloween costume. It was really funny but also didn't feel too out of place and was a good way to limit his powers for Thanos part 2. I also like how it allows Hemsworth to stay in the role without having to stay in epic shape.

My wife was a little confused with Captain Marvel's entrance and was wondering where the post credits scene from CM fit in. It had to be between IW and EG. She answers the page in the post credit and then is sent to rescue Stark returning to meet Thor and the remaining Avengers. I also agree with comments she could have been used a little better. Give her more screen time but have her neutralised by some power from one of Thanos' henchmen or one of the stones.

Did Nebula purposefully send Hawkeye and BW to get the soul stone because she knew of their relationship and what was required? I was wondering why they would send two characters who had never been to space off alone in space. Damn.

Did we find out what happened to Gamora? Is she just going to do her own thing before eventually getting back with Quill in a future GotG movie? I thought for a second she would have been killed in Stark's snap but that doesn't make sense.

Overall End Game worked close to perfectly as the ending of this age of the MCU. It told a satisfying story while giving us all the fan service we could ever ask for and provided appropriate conclusions to long time character arcs. Well done!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #293
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
An elaborate ruse to trick us? Hmm, that sounds like something a Spider-Man villain would do but I can't quite put my finger on what one.
It is undoubtedly Plantman

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 12:38 AM   #294
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Just saw it tonight, can't say I think it lives up to the hype. The movie dragged on for a good part of the first half, and they neutered a few characters for no discernible reason (Hulk, CM come to mind).

I also thought the action was much better in infinity war.

Endgame was definitely a Swan song for a bunch of actors who are tired with the roles. Downey Jr, Evans, Johansson, Ruffalo, and Cheadle are probably packing it in. Much like how Logan and Days of Future Past wrote a bunch of them off. End of an era, so to speak

Also, even though he wasn't in End Game, I'm still glad Vision is dead. man I hate that character in the movies.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #295
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone else not like Thanos in this movie? I think they pulled the rest of the film together about as well as I could expect, but he felt a lot less sympathetic in this one.

"Too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution... Dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a mad man. And what I predicted came to pass."

I'll chalk it up in my head as a 4-years younger, less experienced Thanos. He just didn't seem like a villain to let personal grudges get in the way of his ultimate goal. At least I wouldn't think it of 2018 Thanos.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #296
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Did anyone else not like Thanos in this movie? I think they pulled the rest of the film together about as well as I could expect, but he felt a lot less sympathetic in this one.

"Too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution... Dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a mad man. And what I predicted came to pass."
I'll chalk it up in my head as a 4-years younger, less experienced Thanos. He just didn't seem like a villain to let personal grudges get in the way of his ultimate goal. At least I wouldn't think it of 2018 Thanos.

That's exactly what it is. Plus this Thanos saw his future self complete his plan, but realized it didn't matter because the half he left alive would still try to undo it. So then he goes full Mad Titan with the kill everyone plan
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #297
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

In which case, the thoughtful, well-developed villain from Infinity War is truly dead within the first ten minutes, and the villain for the remainder of the movie is a one-dimensional "destroy everything" evil evil evil bad guy with nothing interesting about him. Hence why people are a little cold about it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #298
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want my classic Spider-Man villains back.

Give me Doc Oc and Green Goblin.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #299
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I really want my classic Spider-Man villains back.

Give me Doc Oc and Green Goblin.
Would you accept Mysterio?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #300
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Would you accept Mysterio?
Wait, is that what was teased? It got a little deep nerd in here and I lost track.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote