Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #61
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know what happened in heat 8 of the chucks tonight? I've been watching on CBC and they added enough of a "live" delay to skip races. They didn't air the 8th saying something happened but wouldn't say what. It's now been probably 30min and they still haven't aired the 9th heat.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #62
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds pretty bad. Someone on reddit thinks four horses were put down.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #63
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’m very pro stampede and think there is nothing wrong with the rodeo, but enough is enough with the Chuckwagons. I know the drivers mean no harm to the animals but each and every year there is. I haven’t went to the evening show in 5 years because I simply don’t want to see a wreck and I know there is a good place I will.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #64
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...t-at-the-races

Quote:
Evan Salmond’s team went down in the northeast corner of the track. Two trailers were brought onto the track and Postmedia reporters saw at least two horses loaded into the trailers, while at least one horse walked off.

The condition of the horses is unknown
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #65
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

By this time the Stampede should be sharing what they know including the condition of the horses
They aren’t being very forthcoming
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #66
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
By this time the Stampede should be sharing what they know including the condition of the horses
They aren’t being very forthcoming
It's in their interest to hide it unfortunately.

Personally I would love to go see the chucks, it's pretty exciting. I just never do because I'm not willing to take the risk of seeing a bunch of animals die.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #67
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's in their interest to hide it unfortunately.

Personally I would love to go see the chucks, it's pretty exciting. I just never do because I'm not willing to take the risk of seeing a bunch of animals die.
I have seen the chucks several times, over a dozen, and never seen an animal die, for what it is worth
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #68
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I have seen the chucks several times, over a dozen, and never seen an animal die, for what it is worth
One or more die almost every year. I’ve gone probably 8-9 times since I moved here in 2005 and I’ve seen it on 2 separate occasions. Let’s not try and pretend these are isolated incidents.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #69
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it was three more horses last night.

I love the chucks and honestly it's a really fun night out. I just can't see how this is sustainable though. The PR damage is just crushing and it's got to be a matter of time before they drop the event. I think what really hit home with me is seeing the guy from the Humane Society on TV this past week saying that they would stop the event if it was in their power.

When it's more radical, fringe elements, it's easy to ignore, but the Humane Society isn't really that at all.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #70
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Any way to keep the chucks going but make it safer? Maybe do individual time trials instead of heat races where the potential for accident and injury is much higher?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #71
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Any way to keep the chucks going but make it safer? Maybe do individual time trials instead of heat races where the potential for accident and injury is much higher?
I don't know, because the enjoyment for me (as a complete casual "fan") is the race. If it was like the barrel racing in the rodeo I have no interest.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #72
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess it was three more horses last night.

I love the chucks and honestly it's a really fun night out. I just can't see how this is sustainable though. The PR damage is just crushing and it's got to be a matter of time before they drop the event. I think what really hit home with me is seeing the guy from the Humane Society on TV this past week saying that they would stop the event if it was in their power.

When it's more radical, fringe elements, it's easy to ignore, but the Humane Society isn't really that at all.
This seems the same as every year though. Yes a few more went down then usual but the calls to cancel them are there every year.

I for one personally hope they keep going. As someone who knows some people who run horses for the chucks they would be devastated to lose such a marquee event.

Although its not like they will be gone from any other rodeos they run in.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #73
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know, because the enjoyment for me (as a complete casual "fan") is the race. If it was like the barrel racing in the rodeo I have no interest.
If they had a big timer clock on digital display and had single chucks running to beat the time, I think that would be entertaining. "Speed Run" format would still put butts in seats IMO.

There should probably be a middle ground somewhere because at this pace the Stampede is going to face chronic and intensifying PR issues.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #74
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If they had a big timer clock on digital display and had single chucks running to beat the time, I think that would be entertaining. "Speed Run" format would still put butts in seats IMO.

There should probably be a middle ground somewhere because at this pace the Stampede is going to face chronic and intensifying PR issues.
I don't think it would. No one is paying big big bucks to go watch time trials IMO.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #75
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I do not think 'Time Runs' would make it too much safer.

Looking at the incidents this year.

1 Horse died of 'heart attack' like symptoms while running - Time Runs would not of changed this.

1 Horse broke his leg mid run with no interfearance - Time Runs would not of changes this.

1 Horse got into accident due to another drive - Time Runs would help this.

3 Horses died during the start barrel turns when the lead broke his leg - Time Runs would not help this.

So even if they had moved to Time Runs this year, you could argue 5/6 of the deaths would sadly still of happened.

I do not think that would be the drastic change to help as much as needed
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #76
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I do not think 'Time Runs' would make it too much safer.

Looking at the incidents this year.

1 Horse died of 'heart attack' like symptoms while running - Time Runs would not of changed this.

1 Horse broke his leg mid run with no interfearance - Time Runs would not of changes this.

1 Horse got into accident due to another drive - Time Runs would help this.

3 Horses died during the start barrel turns when the lead broke his leg - Time Runs would not help this.

So even if they had moved to Time Runs this year, you could argue 5/6 of the deaths would sadly still of happened.

I do not think that would be the drastic change to help as much as needed
Fine, cut the max speed down to 10 km/h trots
Old 07-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #77
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I always hear the rationale that the owners "love their horses like pets". I don't know any pet owner who would consistently put their pets at risk like this.

I get the tradition of the rodeo is keeping the event and it's a big money draw both for attendance and the teams but there's no way I can justify attending anymore. We have to move past these kind of events.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #78
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

~500 thoroughbreds died in the US due to racing last year. These events still get prime time TV space. People just seem to dislike Alberta in general. Yes, I take it personally.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #79
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would it help to cut the number of competitors down - a couple of the events that these Chuckwagon outfits run only have three barrels/teams at one time - maybe fewer outfits would mean more space and fewer collisions? I know they reduced the number of outriders from four to two a few years ago.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #80
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won't take my wife to the chucks after witnessing 4 horse die about 15 years ago. My mom won't go to the rodeo after seeing a calf break its neck in the roping. The animal events are becoming less acceptable as time goes on, not sure what that means for the Stampede going forward.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post: