Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Flames' Pride Night slotted for March 28 vs. LA

https://twitter.com/user/status/1637284859398983685

"The Flames have Pride Night slotted for March 28."

I am happy that CSEC is going ahead with this event, but I dread that a player or the organization is going to drop the ball here.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Good chance there'll be nut jobs protesting outside the Saddledome. Or they'll crash inside.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That's terrible that Kadri is mentioned. For minorities, it's absolutely the worst to be brought up as an example in someone else's defense. All of a sudden, the onus is shifted to them.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #4
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: website seems too ad heavy but finally loaded properly.

Why would Reimer say this? Not sure why he is being Kadri and his faith up. Like non Christians and LGBTQ are in the same bucket in his mind? He might be an little more messed up than I thought.

Last edited by dustygoon; 03-19-2023 at 12:28 PM.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 12:21 PM   #5
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully it will be a great night.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:31 PM   #6
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That's terrible that Kadri is mentioned. For minorities, it's absolutely the worst to be brought up as an example in someone else's defense. All of a sudden, the onus is shifted to them.
He didn't bring up Kadri as an example of someone else who doesn't support pride he brought it up as someone who he vehemently disagrees with on something very fundamental to his existence (Islam v. Christianity) and yet was still very good friends with that person.

This is a clickbait headline.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #7
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
He didn't bring up Kadri as an example of someone else who doesn't support pride he brought it up as someone who he vehemently disagrees with on something very fundamental to his existence (Islam v. Christianity) and yet was still very good friends with that person.

He's just confirming that he's a piece of trash name dropping Kadri.

My religion tells me Muslims are lesser beings but I struck up a conversation with a Muslim teammate I have no hate in my heart.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope every one wears the warm up unis as they should

This shouldn't be a big deal
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 12:55 PM   #9
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think his point is actually more in the part about how he wouldn't wear a pro-Islam jersey even though he can be great friends with someone who is Muslim and think very highly of them. I take it that his point is, by analogy, he can be great friends with LGBTQ+ people and think of them as great people but not want to wear a pro-LGBTQ+ jersey because it contradicts his faith. He's also saying that people would be more accepting of a choice not to wear a pro-Islam jersey.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 12:57 PM   #10
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

delete this
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:04 PM   #11
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t get how some of these players fail to understand the NHL message. They are saying that hockey is for everyone and the game doesn’t discriminate based on gender, orientation etc. Nobody is asking them to do anything other than create a welcoming environment for all. This isn’t an attack on personal beliefs. It’s great to see advocates like Brian Burke push this message as opposed to individuals behaving like Reimer.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ferarri For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:06 PM   #12
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
delete this

????
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:20 PM   #13
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought one pride warm up jersey thread was enough. But I guess we’re out of Covid threads.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #14
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Good chance there'll be nut jobs protesting outside the Saddledome. Or they'll crash inside.
I wonder what BoLevi will be up to that night?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:36 PM   #15
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Thought one pride warm up jersey thread was enough. But I guess we’re out of Covid threads.
Feel free to not participate in either of them.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:38 PM   #16
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there not a mechanism just to mute these fools? Like what if the internal memo went something like this.

As an organization, we value inclusivity. If you wish to exercise your right to not wear a pride jersey, you will be healthy scratched. In future media availabilities, we ask that you decline to comment as you are a representative of the organization.

How hard is that? Instead, you have guys gleefully soapboxing about some make believe voice in their head that told them to do something dumb. Like, Reimer is about to not be an NHL player anymore. His career persisted in the face of mediocrity, which he should be proud about. But it's over now. Why are you letting him drag your whole team through this dirt?

Now, we all have the false perception now that because of a couple people out of 700 worshiping a bigoted god, that hockey is going backwards. No, this is an ever vanquishing but unextinguishable attitude that for some reason is being amplified to be louder than the 99.99% of players that believe in inclusivity.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:40 PM   #17
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
We're sorry that pride events bug you so much
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:46 PM   #18
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoops wrong thread

Last edited by Lanny'sDaMan; 03-19-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #19
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Is there not a mechanism just to mute these fools? Like what if the internal memo went something like this.

As an organization, we value inclusivity. If you wish to exercise your right to not wear a pride jersey, you will be healthy scratched. In future media availabilities, we ask that you decline to comment as you are a representative of the organization.

How hard is that? Instead, you have guys gleefully soapboxing about some make believe voice in their head that told them to do something dumb. Like, Reimer is about to not be an NHL player anymore. His career persisted in the face of mediocrity, which he should be proud about. But it's over now. Why are you letting him drag your whole team through this dirt?

Now, we all have the false perception now that because of a couple people out of 700 worshiping a bigoted god, that hockey is going backwards. No, this is an ever vanquishing but unextinguishable attitude that for some reason is being amplified to be louder than the 99.99% of players that believe in inclusivity.
You are right. As a business, the NHL should simply excercise a procedure like you illustrated in your first paragraph. End of story from all sides.

What happens instead is that people are as intolerant and unwelcoming to Reimer as he has been to the LBGTQ+ community. Your statement in Bold is a good example of that. People truly intent to be intolerant, which is great, but it mistakenly only goes in one direction sometimes. The intolerance just goes around in circles, round and round, and each opposing group gets louder, louder, more indignant, and less tolerant with each iteration.

It is a big nothingburger if the NHL had a procedure like you mentioned. It is also a big nothingburger if nobody gave Reimer any press. There'd be lots of nothingburgers if every person just accepted every other person as a human and didnt try to impose their beliefs/morals/lifestyles on anyone else. It doesnt look like we are close to that.

Last edited by Draug; 03-19-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 03:24 PM   #20
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
I don’t get how some of these players fail to understand the NHL message. They are saying that hockey is for everyone and the game doesn’t discriminate based on gender, orientation etc. Nobody is asking them to do anything other than create a welcoming environment for all. This isn’t an attack on personal beliefs. It’s great to see advocates like Brian Burke push this message as opposed to individuals behaving like Reimer.
Exactly, welcoming gay people to come to the arena to enjoy the game, participate and not feel like less of a person.

The sickening part, it reveals what is inside the confused, gullible, demented mind of a "christian". I already have little respect for people who don't value education or respect science, but to utilize these stone age beliefs to be hateful is truly repugnant.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post: