Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2023, 06:02 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
It'll be great if Markstrom can get the Flames to within the 10th overall draft position for this upcoming draft! Who cares about his save percentage and stats this year. I'm sure a lot of Flames players will bounce back next season.
I have said this a few times now, but IMO, Markstrom rebounding and getting his game back is worth more to the franchise than moving up a couple spots in the draft.

Whether he is going to be the starter for several years yet, or they want to trade him, or whatever, his game recovery makes him a valuable asset.

And as for the draft, they will probably end up with the same player regardless.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 09:24 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I have said this a few times now, but IMO, Markstrom rebounding and getting his game back is worth more to the franchise than moving up a couple spots in the draft.

Whether he is going to be the starter for several years yet, or they want to trade him, or whatever, his game recovery makes him a valuable asset.

And as for the draft, they will probably end up with the same player regardless.
Right? Were the Flames winning the cup this year? Probably not. So I’m happy that Markstrom has seemingly found his game
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:30 PM   #43
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I actually prefer people mocking this thread than bumping those other terrible threads. So hey, progress.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:34 PM   #44
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Markstrom regressing to his career average around .912 absolutely means more to this team given that we still have him for 3 more seasons

Him playing well provides so much relief about this team going forward. Which is how I felt in those couple of good weeks.

Drafting 13th overall vs 15th overall doesn't really make a big difference. There's enough good players in this draft that in either spot you're probably picking from the same tier of talent.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:07 PM   #45
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Early, early in the year, fans at the Saddledome were giving him Bronx cheers for making routine saves and for handling the puck. Not saying it caused his struggles, but it certainly couldn't help his confidence.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:25 PM   #46
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Right? Were the Flames winning the cup this year? Probably not. So I’m happy that Markstrom has seemingly found his game

Um… I am a goalie sympathizer, but is 12 goals against in his last 5 periods (and 18 GA in his last 4 starts) ‘finding his game’ now? Yikes
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 08:12 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Um… I am a goalie sympathizer, but is 12 goals against in his last 5 periods (and 18 GA in his last 4 starts) ‘finding his game’ now? Yikes
He is making saves he wasn't previously. And one game where the Flames as a team got stomped has skewed your stats. "Finding his gamne" doesn't mean he's going to play every game perfectly or avoid a bad one.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:53 AM   #48
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
He is making saves he wasn't previously. And one game where the Flames as a team got stomped has skewed your stats. "Finding his gamne" doesn't mean he's going to play every game perfectly or avoid a bad one.
His last two games, he looked more like he did in the first half of the season. He had a good 6 or 7 games after his kid but appears to have reverted back.

Sure, the LA game is not on him, but if he stops 1 or 2 that he shouldn't necessarily stop, potentially that wakes the team up. We have seen goalies doing it to us all year. We might not get a lot of high danger chances, however, when we do get one the opposing goalie seems to find a way to stop the puck. Markstrom does not.

The Majority of his 10 bell saves have been due to his poor rebound control on the first shot, or him sliding way out of position and losing his net, then just pure desperation to try and make a stop. So I guess good on him for trying to make the stop, but honestly if you just played positionally how you should, you wouldn't have to make the desperation save.

The Dallas game again maybe not all on him, but when you have a 1 goal lead in the third the goalie needs to lock it down, way too many times this year he has not had the ability to shut the door. At the end of the day the goalie is the last line of defense, and is there for when you do make those big gaffes, maybe not every time, but at least some of the time.

I am hopeful that he rebounds next year like Hellebuck has this year, but I am not holding my breath.
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:00 AM   #49
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Markstrom is 85.4% in this last 6 games.
I wouldn't say he has found his game. Or if he had, he has since lost it again.
The more recent positive is that the Flames have average 4.5 goals for in the past 6 games. Guys like Toffoli are on fire.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:51 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Markstrom is 85.4% in this last 6 games.
I wouldn't say he has found his game. Or if he had, he has since lost it again.
The more recent positive is that the Flames have average 4.5 goals for in the past 6 games. Guys like Toffoli are on fire.
Throw out the 8 goal LA game (which should be thrown out because the team sucked). And then go look at the fancier stats.

We can all read the stats but there’s no question Markstrom has been very solid since he took over for Vladar mid game.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:46 AM   #51
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Throw out the 8 goal LA game (which should be thrown out because the team sucked). And then go look at the fancier stats.

We can all read the stats but there’s no question Markstrom has been very solid since he took over for Vladar mid game.
Funny thing about stats, if you selectively throw out some you can paint any picture you'd like.

The LA Game was terrible. Yeah the team sucked as a whole but Markstrom was horrific as well. No passes. He's no better than he was all season.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #52
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Defending Markstrom is a tough full time job that is likely going nowhere

He has been a little bit better but I can no longer trust him
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #53
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Funny thing about stats, if you selectively throw out some you can paint any picture you'd like.

The LA Game was terrible. Yeah the team sucked as a whole but Markstrom was horrific as well. No passes. He's no better than he was all season.
Right? Throw out every game where Markstrom let in 4+ goals for reasons and he's suddenly a Vezina candidate.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #54
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Right? Throw out every game where Markstrom let in 4+ goals for reasons and he's suddenly a Vezina candidate.
Funny thing is he still wouldn’t be !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:50 PM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Dude I suggested ignoring one game where the team was horrific. If you need to put words in my mouth to make a point, you've lost me.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:50 PM   #56
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Markstrom has been decent as of late IMO... Through I think they should just give up on the season and bring up wolf to play the whatever remaining games. Hopefully sign coronato as well and get him to play.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1639786552795738112
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 11:07 AM   #58
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude I suggested ignoring one game where the team was horrific. If you need to put words in my mouth to make a point, you've lost me.
But it's not just one game. It's pretty much every game.

In his last 6 games, he's been below a 91% save percentage every game. I have used 91% as that is what an average goalie in the NHL gets.

In his last 17 games, he's been below a 91% save percentage 14 times. So, he's been below average the vast majority of the time.

And 10 times below 90%.

Even the game before the LA debacle saw him give up 6 goals vs. Dallas on 26 shots.

Sometimes you need your goalie to make a save. Marky just doesn't make enough of them. His save percentage for the year is 89%.

He's really been the difference between Calgary being a very good team this year and quite a bad team.

Last edited by The Cobra; 03-28-2023 at 02:33 PM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #59
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Markstrom is the reason the flames aren't comfortably in a playoff spot. Others have sucked, for sure, but he is the primary reason. So many one goal games and so much bad goaltending. All season long.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #60
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Markstrom is the reason the flames aren't comfortably in a playoff spot. Others have sucked, for sure, but he is the primary reason. So many one goal games and so much bad goaltending. All season long.
100% this. Markstrom almost single-handedly submarined the Flames' season this year with his awful play for 85% of the season.

Play like a good goalie for a season again and then I will like Markstrom.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote