Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #81
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like using engine braking on mountain roads and twisties but I guess it can be overdone and brakes are there for a purpose. Some of it depends on the engine compression and how much torque it provides. I know on my 4 cylinder bike gearing down doesn't do that much compared to a low revving twin and some motors just sound great when gearing down.

In a car or on a bike, when coming to a stop, I like to shift down so I'm in the right gear for the speed, in case the light changes and I'm in first while stopped but use my brakes mostly.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #82
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Automatics are inherently harder on brakes, especially torque converted automatics. You are actually fighting the engine with your brakes a little bit every time you come to a stop.
Not true - modern automatics decouple and coast when the breaks are applied - and my 8speed Audi auto tranny actively downshifts to help slow you, much the same as you would in a manual.
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #83
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
my 8speed Audi auto tranny
Pretty sure that's not torque converted, although I could be wrong. Pretty much the only modern auto I really know much about is DSG (S-Tronic in Audis).
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #84
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure that's not torque converted, although I could be wrong. Pretty much the only modern auto I really know much about is DSG (S-Tronic in Audis).
Yes it is - All the Audi/VW 8 speeds are. The DSGs are however in some of the euro Q5s.

Most of the non-performance Audis are normal torque converter autos. North Americans prefer their operation from am luxury standpoint vis-a-vis a DSG. I had an A3 with a DSG, very cool but can be jerky at low speeds, hence why they don't go in luxury cars, only performance/sport Audis/VWs.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #85
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So in your car do you not have to hold the brake down when you're stopped at a light? Really cool if so.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #86
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So in your car do you not have to hold the brake down when you're stopped at a light? Really cool if so.
I said it disengages on decel, with regards to your comment about brake wear. It reengages the TC at idle, like a normal auto.

Seriously, its been a common thing in autos the past decade, it was an easy way to boost fuel economy ratings with the tranny programming. Either the tranny downshifts as you decel (like you were in a manual) or (easier) it decouples the trans as the car decelerates to a light and recouples at a stop or when it sees you come off the brake.
The Following User Says Thank You to THE SCUD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #87
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
I said it disengages on decel, with regards to your comment about brake wear. It reengages the TC at idle, like a normal auto.

Seriously, its been a common thing in autos the past decade, it was an easy way to boost fuel economy ratings with the tranny programming. Either the tranny downshifts as you decel (like you were in a manual) or (easier) it decouples the trans as the car decelerates to a light and recouples at a stop or when it sees you come off the brake.
I've never driven a torque converted auto with a TCU that could decouple the torque converter. I think besides a DSG the last automatic I regularly drove was a 1991... I'm a little out of date on auto transmission technology.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #88
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
for brakes it doesn't really matter what kind of car you drive, you don't want the original factory parts. you can go to any automotive place and get high performance brake pads guaranteed for life for probably half of what you'll pay at a dealer for generic pads
This is not necessarily accurate. Factory parts in many cases are the best parts for your car, including the brake pads (and other brake parts). This is not true on every car, but it can be. Dealer parts are not "generic" at all, and are often from the same supplier as the aftermarket parts you buy, but are made to OE specs. Sumitomo, Akebono etc. are an OEM supplier but also make aftermarket parts. I have first hand experience in many cases where the original brake parts were indeed the best combination of durability, stopping power, quietness.

They key is not to pay retail dealer prices, some parts outlets sell OE parts at a substantial discount, or will have the equivalent part. I also see a lot of people buying "performance" brake pads which end up being much harsher on the rotors and end up costing more in the long run.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd , car , mitsubishi , subaru