Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Thinking of Buying a New AWD Car

So I am considering replacing my 06 Mazda 3 with something else. I would really like to get something that is AWD. I'm not interested in a truck, haven't thought much about SUV's to be honest, but I don't want something large.

The first two things that jumped to mind where the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. Both are 4 cylinder turbos around the same price and they have very similar features throughout.

Does anyone have experience with these two cars or the manufactures? I'm not too familiar with either. I've been reading reviews online, but they are pretty sparse with useful information. They mostly seem to talk about the specs, which is something I can look up on my own. I'm more interested in peoples experiences who own the cars. Comfort, reliability, cost of repairs etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Burninator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Ralliart with the SMG is fun. Does it still come with the recaro seats?

I test drove the STi, and the build inside just feels cheap.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Don't know how soon you are looking, but we will be seeing these hopefully in Feb/Mar 2012. We have a ton of pre-orders, but this will be an awesome car.

2012 VW Golf R

The will be 270 HP stock I believe, but once APR gets a tune set up, I am thinking the will run low/mid 300 HP levels.

I am guessing it will come in at $38-42000.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Audi A3 and BMW 3 series as well have AWD versions. Some Volvos do too, but not sure about their smaller cars.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
The Ralliart with the SMG is fun. Does it still come with the recaro seats?
I test drove the STi, and the build inside just feels cheap.
The Recaro seats are part of an upgrade package. I've read that they are good for spirited driving, but uncomfortable for long road trips. I've heard that complaint about the WRX interiors as well, although I've heard the Ralliart isn't much better. I recall reading about my Mazda having a cheap interior, but it seemed fine to me, guess I am not picky.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

the Volvo V50 s40 do come in AWD...there is also the Mazdaspeed 6 which can be found reasonably priced used...the Nissan Juke...and the Suzuki Kyashi (sp?)

Not sure if a manual tranny is important to you...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should also add that I would like to be around the 35k range or lower.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Audi A4, may have to get a year old one, but can then get the extra CPO warranty, I have an 08 and LOVE mine. Quattro owns in the winter.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My Mercedes c350 has never let me down in any driving conditions. Intelligent AWD FTW.
likwid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Don't know how soon you are looking, but we will be seeing these hopefully in Feb/Mar 2012. We have a ton of pre-orders, but this will be an awesome car.

2012 VW Golf R

The will be 270 HP stock I believe, but once APR gets a tune set up, I am thinking the will run low/mid 300 HP levels.

I am guessing it will come in at $38-42000.
I went into a VW dealership and I asked about the R, and he told me "yea, we are never getting that"...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
I went into a VW dealership and I asked about the R, and he told me "yea, we are never getting that"...
No, we are certainly getting it I know this as a VW dealer. The allocation is going to be small, but we have a order code for it. I certainly hope one of my sales guys didn't say this. PM me the dealer you were at.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

PM sent.

Yea, I was once at the same place as the OP, driving a 2004 mazda 3 looking for an AWD vehicle. VW was the first dealership that I stopped at asking about the R, then went over to test drive the STi, then the ralliart.

I also test drove the C300 4matic, and then the TL AWD.

Out of all the vehicle I drove, I felt that the most comfortable ride was the TL AWD follow really closely with the C300 4matic.

Fun factor, it was the ralliart follow closely with the VW GTI (Yes, i know the GTI is not awd, but there's the R now!)

Subaru just reminds me that u r a bus...

Best bang for the buck tho, was still the TL AWD... it was a boat, but it was a great vehicle...
Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Used to own a WRX, was outstanding............... but That was in Australia.
Was great on the road, gravel and in mud. Couldn't tell you about snow & ice.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Be a man, get a Lamborghini Aventador.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I had a friend who had a WRX and it was a very nice ride. And I do believe they are considered to be one of best functioning AWD systems. They always seem to be picking up the rally awards anyway.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #16
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had a 2010 A4 and now have a 2011 Q5 - audi quattro is great. I'd suggest a base model 1-2 year old 2009+ A4 quattro.
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #17
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Audi A3 and BMW 3 series as well have AWD versions. Some Volvos do too, but not sure about their smaller cars.
I love the A3, it's one of my favorite cars out there. Sadly, the AWD versions only come in automatic....how lame is that?

If you want an AWD wagon with a manual, the WRX is pretty much the only option you can buy these days. Too bad the interior's are so cheap feeling compared to the competition.

That R is definitely a great option too, it just might be a while to wait for it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Subaru Impreza (old TS wagon) I have had it 8 years since new and never had any issues with it. Just regular maintenance at Calgary Subaru / All Makes. Only problem was the paint is easily chipped on this model/colour.

I guess it depends on why you need AWD. Its great in winter and on ice (unless all 4 wheels are on ice at the same time. Never stuck going up hills in the winter.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call your insurance company and get a quote for coverage. You may suddenly decide not to get a hot hatchback.... Rates are stupid on these types of cars (Depending on your age and history of course).

Which is how I ended up with something else in the Subaru lineup. Good thing I did, I need the extra room now.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The first two things that jumped to mind where the Subaru WRX and the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. Both are 4 cylinder turbos around the same price and they have very similar features throughout.

Does anyone have experience with these two cars or the manufactures? I'm not too familiar with either. I've been reading reviews online, but they are pretty sparse with useful information. They mostly seem to talk about the specs, which is something I can look up on my own. I'm more interested in peoples experiences who own the cars. Comfort, reliability, cost of repairs etc. Any help would be appreciated.
From what I've heard from Lancer Ralliart/Evo owners, the transmissions are flaky as hell. They spend a lot of time in the shop, and Mitsubishi expects 50% of new transmissions to fail. I've never heard a complaint from Subaru owners.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd , car , mitsubishi , subaru