Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2023, 04:19 PM   #81
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

He'll get a call up.

And it won't be to sit on the bench like last year. He'll start at least one.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:45 AM   #82
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
I know it has been brought up multiple times as to why he went in the 7th round of the 2019 NHL Draft.

Well that was simple, with the information that NHL scouts had at the time, they never thought that Dustin Wolf would even be able to translate his game past the AHL, let alone be one of the best goalies ever to play in the AHL at his age group and win AHL Best Goalie of the Year x 2.

If the NHL scouts had this information available or had this foresight (let's say through time travel), Dustin Wolf would have gone top 10-15 in the Draft right up there with Spencer Knight. I feel that's where he is if there is a re-draft done today.
I think you're right, but I feel like if a guy is putting up those numbers why not take a 5th round flyer?

Out of 22 goalies taken. Wolf was the last one taken and the shortest at a listed 6'0". There were a handful who were 6'1" but it just seems to me that I'd rather have a guy with proven numbers and a proven performer than a guy who's a couple inches taller with mediocre numbers who barely played in Peterborough because he was the backup.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #83
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I think you're right, but I feel like if a guy is putting up those numbers why not take a 5th round flyer?

Out of 22 goalies taken. Wolf was the last one taken and the shortest at a listed 6'0". There were a handful who were 6'1" but it just seems to me that I'd rather have a guy with proven numbers and a proven performer than a guy who's a couple inches taller with mediocre numbers who barely played in Peterborough because he was the backup.
I think there were a couple biases working against him at the time of the draft.

Obviously the size thing was part of it.

Also though is that Everett was one of the best defensive teams in years in the WHL. IIRC there was a stat that the Silvertips gave up fewer goals over 2 seasons than Regina did in Wolfs draft year and D+1 combined. Though i think COVID had a part of all that as well.

Either way...its a home run pick by the Flames to this point.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:14 AM   #84
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
Yeah I guess I'm mainly thinking of Irving there. We wanted him to be great based on where we took him but he never showed anything like what Wolf has shown.
l remember how much hope l had with Irving. That is, until I watched him live. Can't remember who the Flames were playing, but Irving had the start. At the time I always thought that rebound control was more of a fluke than something the goalie could control. I mean, you kick your arms, legs, whatever, out to stop the puck and often you simply are doing the best you can to make the first save. It's not like you can control where the rebound goes to keep it away from the opposition...right?

Irving proved me wrong on that and I never took a goalie with great rebound control for granted ever again. At this game seemingly every puck that hit him in the chest would immediately bounce high up in the air, like a firework going off. It wasn't just a one off. Almost everytime, the puck would hit his chest and it would go straight up and a scramble in front as players raced in to get it. Everytime it would happen the crowd would stand up as the puck would rise up and "ooooohhhhh, ahhhhhhhh" as it went up and down.

It was such...amateur hour goaltending. After that game I truly appreciated how goalies like Kipper and other top goalies at the time made it look so easy. I have never to this day seen a goaltender have difficulty controlling rebounds like I did that night.

Hate to rag on the Irving, but just my lasting memory of him will forever be watching that puck go 30 feet in the air after every save.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 08:41 AM   #85
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Devon Levi is an interesting comparable to Wolf.

Undersized at 6 feet, another 7th round pick and 21 years old. He recently played two games and played well.

Now sitting at 1-1, 1.98 GAA and .942 sv%. Teams played were Florida and NYR.

Levi went the college route, but like Wolf, obliterated the competition at every level.

You can see some highlights here:

Last edited by sketchyt; 04-05-2023 at 08:53 AM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 10:35 AM   #86
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Should have brought up Wolf around the all star break time when both goalies were garbage, would probably be in the playoff spot right now
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 02:47 PM   #87
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Wolf is making it too hard to ignore him. He's basically putting up stellar numbers at each level he plays, and the only level left is the NHL. We currently have 2 guys putting up numbers in the bottom of the NHL so I don't see how you can't figure out a way to insert Wolf next year - or at least a game this year.

He's earned it based on his play at every level, he's hollering at the door here and we're sitting on our hands hoping what we have fixes itself. One of Markstrom or Vladar needs to go next year to make room for Wolf. I don't care which at this point because it's not like we could get worse goaltending that what we've received this year. Markstrom is more proven and you would think maybe likely to bounce back, but goalies are voodoo for this club so who knows.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #88
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
Wolf is making it too hard to ignore him. He's basically putting up stellar numbers at each level he plays, and the only level left is the NHL. We currently have 2 guys putting up numbers in the bottom of the NHL so I don't see how you can't figure out a way to insert Wolf next year - or at least a game this year.

He's earned it based on his play at every level, he's hollering at the door here and we're sitting on our hands hoping what we have fixes itself. One of Markstrom or Vladar needs to go next year to make room for Wolf. I don't care which at this point because it's not like we could get worse goaltending that what we've received this year. Markstrom is more proven and you would think maybe likely to bounce back, but goalies are voodoo for this club so who knows.
Vladar is easily moved, Marky likely not so easy, so I expect it's Vladar on the move.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #89
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just call him up, what's left to lose at this point?

Buffalo has a similar high-tier goalie prospect they're getting into games now and he has a 0.942 SV% through his two starts + valuable experience looking at next season. Wolf literally only has to be average backup-level good to be better than Markstrom, and he could be a lot better than that.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:53 PM   #90
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vladar is the guy we need to send. I like Vladar and still believe he has upside but I think having a guy like Markstrom will only help Wolf. Having Vladar, another young guy trying to find his way in the NHL, won't likely do him any favors.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:54 PM   #91
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
He'll get a call up.

And it won't be to sit on the bench like last year. He'll start at least one.
If they lose and basically take themselves out of the race tonight, I would imagine that Pelletier, Coronato and Wolf all get into at least 2 of the remaining 3 games.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:03 PM   #92
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Just call him up, what's left to lose at this point?

Buffalo has a similar high-tier goalie prospect they're getting into games now and he has a 0.942 SV% through his two starts + valuable experience looking at next season. Wolf literally only has to be average backup-level good to be better than Markstrom, and he could be a lot better than that.
I heard on the Marek show today that they think the GM made a deal with Levi to promise him a certain number of games down the stretch to get him to sign which is different where Wolf is signed by the Flames and on their AHL team. I believe it was Jamal Mayers on the show and said as a player that would piss him off to throw a rookie in when the Sabres had a chance to control their destiny in a win.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:05 PM   #93
Remember1989
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Found it interesting that Wolf is 8 months older than Levi. Let’s play him already.

V01’s post above does does explain why Levi is in. But still, I am selfish, don’t see any harm and don’t believe there is some developmental magic value in him being in a Calder Cup run which I think he’ll get anyway.

Last edited by Remember1989; 04-05-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Remember1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #94
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Vladar is the guy we need to send. I like Vladar and still believe he has upside but I think having a guy like Markstrom will only help Wolf. Having Vladar, another young guy trying to find his way in the NHL, won't likely do him any favors.
Yeah your right, Markstroms stick breaking, screaming ranting, is exactly what I want around Dustin Wolf....
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #95
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I heard on the Marek show today that they think the GM made a deal with Levi to promise him a certain number of games down the stretch to get him to sign which is different where Wolf is signed by the Flames and on their AHL team. I believe it was Jamal Mayers on the show and said as a player that would piss him off to throw a rookie in when the Sabres had a chance to control their destiny in a win.
Sounds like speculation to me, Sabres have had similar goaltending issues to the Flames where even average performance would have them well into a playoff spot. Even if he had to guarantee him a couple games to get him to sign, well worth the risk. Anderson has been alright but he's clearly semi-retired. Comrie and Luukkonen have both been mediocre sub-0.900 and cost the team points. It's not like they're sitting Martin Brodeur over here to give Levi a shot. If you're the type of player to get pissed at a young, highly touted kid getting a chance at his lifelong dream (and then performing really well!) then you're not the type of player I want on my team. A very old school type of mentality.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #96
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFG#1 View Post
Yeah your right, Markstroms stick breaking, screaming ranting, is exactly what I want around Dustin Wolf....
Pretty sure when Vladar broke a stick and got questioned about it he told the reporter off and said the guys love that stuff.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #97
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's not an innocent 12 year old.

You can't shelter him from real life. And he doesn't need to be. You think it was all rainbows and butterflies around Hasek and Roy and that's what made them good?

There's probably way worse stuff behind the scenes we don't know about including at the AHL level.

This is nonsense.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 05:02 PM   #98
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think with the state of the locker room (Kadri) and both goalies struggles this year I'm glad that Wolf wasn't brought up in a push to make the playoffs. If they lose tonight I hope they give him a game or two before the AHL playoffs start.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #99
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
He's not an innocent 12 year old.

You can't shelter him from real life. And he doesn't need to be. You think it was all rainbows and butterflies around Hasek and Roy and that's what made them good?

There's probably way worse stuff behind the scenes we don't know about including at the AHL level.

This is nonsense.
I am not saying we need to Shelter Dustin, I am saying I am not sure Markstrom is the right Mentor for Dustin. Markstrom has shown no mental toughness, or ability to bounce back/shake it off. Markstrom has been acting like he is 12, cursing screaming, breaking sticks arguing with the refs. All he appears to be doing is complaining about everyone else. When he should be figuring out how to stop the puck. 10 good games this year is not bouncing back or figuring it out. I think 10 good games is a stretch, it has probably been closer to 5.

Based on what I have been seeing from Markstrom this year, I am not sure he would be a good soldier if Dustin where to become the starter.
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:37 AM   #100
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not saying we need to Shelter Dustin, I am saying I am not sure Markstrom is the right Mentor for Dustin. Markstrom has shown no mental toughness, or ability to bounce back/shake it off. Markstrom has been acting like he is 12, cursing screaming, breaking sticks arguing with the refs. All he appears to be doing is complaining about everyone else. When he should be figuring out how to stop the puck. 10 good games this year is not bouncing back or figuring it out. I think 10 good games is a stretch, it has probably been closer to 5.

Based on what I have been seeing from Markstrom this year, I am not sure he would be a good soldier if Dustin where to become the starter.
Is there any correlation at all between the goalie who is around when a young guy gets called up and who has success?

Strikes me as something that doesn't matter. Markstrom didn't throw a hissy fit when Vladar got a bunch of games in a row this year.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote