Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Doesn't Ontario traditionally vote opposing parties provincially and federally? Kind of a cheque and balances?

Ford & Trudeau
Wynne & Harper
Harris & Chretien
Peterson & Mulrouney
Kind of a strange trend. Not good enough to run the country but good enough to run the province?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #142
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I definitely didn't pay much attention to the campaigns and election but it seemed like the Liberals and NDP fought each other for scraps more than they fought against the PCs this go around. The ABC vote was splintered and I see quite a few parallels to the NDP vs Conservative win in Alberta. There seems to be quite a bit of chatter starting up about the need for a united left in Ontario.
Yeah - I have heard that - but I doubt it will happen. The two parties are too established and I'm sure the Liberals think they can rebound despite two elections of under 10 seats in a row.

The two splinter right wing parties basically had no impact. New Blue had 2.72% and Ontario Party has 1.81% - even combined a point behind the Green party which is only competitive in 2 seats in the province.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #143
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
They didn't run effective campaign - just the odd terrible ad and placed no pressure on the PCs. It basically let the PCs just not talk (they basically did no interviews) because they were a mile ahead the whole time.
Their campaigns were the worst I’ve seen. They didn’t have a chance, and the effort reflected it.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:01 AM   #144
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Kind of a strange trend. Not good enough to run the country but good enough to run the province?
It’s quite refreshing to be here and see people vote for different parties all the time.

Where I live, we re-elected Mike Scheiner because he’s awesome and is great to have in parliament. Arguable the best leader of the group, from the worst party.

But “that’s Guelph”, people may say…. Despite the greens losing tons of votes in Guelph last federal election because the leader they had was a joke and our riding option was a joke.

There is significantly less “brand power” in Ontario for political parties compared to AB.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #145
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I am disappointed he's overspending, but so did Harper. I'd love any government that actually takes a responsible stance on spending, but economics seems to take a back seat in Canadian politics these days.
It's pretty common for deficit spending among Canadian levels of government. Is it going to affect your personal life? I tend to find myself asking that question regularly.

One thing I don't agree with DoFo on is the construction and expansion of more highways. We need to do more with less. That includes incentivizing carpooling and micro-transit options, promoting HOV lanes more frequently and with more incentive to use, consider tolls on major chokepoints, continue investing in pervasive public transit options, and encourage work-from-home or community-based workspace usage where possible.

Also, I'd like to see some sort of tax system implemented on commuters that come in from Barrie, Mississauga, Hamilton, etc. I think the tax system should reflect this commuting (if it hasn't been done so already).

Would also like to see funding grants for specifically private startups that bring sustainable and transportation improvements to the table that create jobs and innovation.

You'll notice I am not talking about EVs. That's because I don't think EVs solve the congestion problem. In fact, it could make it worse.

There are other options to explore as well (AI-managed traffic light systems, on-demand busing, etc.) but much like projects, iterative and scaling works best.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #146
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't vote for Ford, but I'm not that upset about the result. The bottom line is he ditched his populist schtick a year into his government when he booted Dean French, worked well with the Feds during Covid and his only big mistake was the early re-opening in 2021. A lot of people don't like the new highway he'll be building because it is tied to plenty of the PC party's cronies, but new highways are always controversial.

Unlike Poilievre, Ford kicked most of the nut jobs in his party to the curb. And the ones he couldn't outright get rid of, he just ignores.

I am disappointed he's overspending, but so did Harper. I'd love any government that actually takes a responsible stance on spending, but economics seems to take a back seat in Canadian politics these days.
I haven’t followed the election at all. Just curious what party (if any) was promising less spending than Ford
Old 06-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #147
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't Ontario traditionally vote opposing parties provincially and federally? Kind of a cheque and balances?

Ford & Trudeau
Wynne & Harper
Harris & Chretien
Peterson & Mulrouney
In the past yes. But Ford’s PCs are pretty indistinguishable from the Liberals federally and provincially in terms of policy.

The provincial Liberals also still have a ton of baggage from their 15-year run. People haven’t forgotten or forgiven the screwups like the power plant cancellation. And Delduca, while he seems like a smart guy who could talk policy all day long, was an awful choice as leader. He’s not relatable to the average voter at all.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #148
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I haven’t followed the election at all. Just curious what party (if any) was promising less spending than Ford
None. That’s the problem. Every single party was promising the moon and not caring about budgets. If you cared about prudent spending there wasn’t an option.

The Liberals were even offering ‘a buck a ride’ on transit, which would have cost a fortune. For example, I live in Whitby, about a 50-minute train ride outside Toronto. Getting downtown and back costs more than $20 a day. Multiply that by tens of thousands and you’re looking at a very big bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #149
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
None. That’s the problem. Every single party was promising the moon and not caring about budgets. If you cared about prudent spending there wasn’t an option.

The Liberals were even offering ‘a buck a ride’ on transit, which would have cost a fortune. For example, I live in Whitby, about a 50-minute train ride outside Toronto. Getting downtown and back costs more than $20 a day. Multiply that by tens of thousands and you’re looking at a very big bill.
I guess a ‘silver lining’ could be that Ontario people do care somewhat about finances, if they didn’t vote in someone who was promising the moon without thinking about the future.

Best of luck to your provincial government. Hope you province has a very successful term. Strong province = strong contribution to our country!!
Old 06-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #150
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I guess a ‘silver lining’ could be that Ontario people do care somewhat about finances, if they didn’t vote in someone who was promising the moon without thinking about the future.

Best of luck to your provincial government. Hope you province has a very successful term. Strong province = strong contribution to our country!!
Thanks! I'm hopeful things go well the next few years and that there are better options during the next provincial election. There really weren't any inspiring choices this time, which helps explain the very low turnout.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #151
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

It's not that crazy. More and more cities are considering free transit. Like Kansas City. New York City has done a study that free buses (not subway) alone would cost 1 billion a year.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:46 AM   #152
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Getting downtown and back costs more than $20 a day. Multiply that by tens of thousands and you’re looking at a very big bill.
Wait till you find out how much it costs the government to let everyone drive themselves to work and back every day!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #153
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not that crazy. More and more cities are considering free transit. Like Kansas City. New York City has done a study that free buses (not subway) alone would cost 1 billion a year.
I think that things like that should be funded with congestion taxes. Essentially if you congest public infrastructure on your way to work the most desirable options should subsidize the least desirable options.

Drivers should pay people to take transit to get them off the road and out of parking spots. If priced correctly parking should be almost free but the density taxes would be similar to todays parking rates.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #154
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think that things like that should be funded with congestion taxes. Essentially if you congest public infrastructure on your way to work the most desirable options should subsidize the least desirable options.

Drivers should pay people to take transit to get them off the road and out of parking spots. If priced correctly parking should be almost free but the density taxes would be similar to todays parking rates.
Interesting. How would you enforce or charge the congestion tax? Or would you simply make transit free?
Old 06-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #155
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. How would you enforce or charge the congestion tax? Or would you simply make transit free?
Its coming to New York City. Basically a toll when you cross your vehicle crosses in the area. I assume similar to newer toll roads where they just take a picture of your license plate/car and bill you after the fact.

They have it in England as well (London)

Last edited by PeteMoss; 06-03-2022 at 11:31 AM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #156
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not congesting things, it's all these other idiots in my way.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:56 AM   #157
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For traffic you just use cameras that will send tickets if you don’t voluntarily pay tolls. I believe London has done this for quite a while.

For transit you could very cost of train by time of use but goal would be to have cars subsidizing train riders.

You good even go bus free, train cheaper, car expensive if you want people to use Bus instead of train.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #158
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I saw a macleans article like 8 years ago that outlined reasons why every single road should be tolled (and eliminate fuel taxes, etc…) and charged by GPS. That way each trip is a specific number that people can see easily. It makes perfect sense to me with gps being in almost every vehicle.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #159
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I saw a macleans article like 8 years ago that outlined reasons why every single road should be tolled (and eliminate fuel taxes, etc…) and charged by GPS. That way each trip is a specific number that people can see easily. It makes perfect sense to me with gps being in almost every vehicle.
How does fuel taxes not just do the same thing?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #160
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
How does fuel taxes not just do the same thing?
I really shouldn’t have said anything without either expanding or finding the article. But it was to incentivize ride sharing and taking longer cheaper routes. With fastest routes being the most expensive when congested (rush hour). Obviously multiple things have to be done to make something like that work and all of them are out of my realm of understanding. But simply: I liked the idea of people knowing how much each drive costs them, exactly. “I just drove to the grocery store and it cost $1.50”… whatever. Would be more for a V8 suv than a electric coupe. It makes sense as a way to incentivize reducing congestion.

Edit: found the article if interested: https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...n-traffic/amp/

They basically do this with water and electricity now… and I know lots of people who “wait until 7” to drop out of peak time.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 06-03-2022 at 02:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
GGG