Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #2101
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I own both systems its just I can see what he is saying its not all that exciting yet especially when you have a Wii U with tons of games and have multiple kids who want to play multiplayer. I hope Switch gets some more GOOD 4 player games...and yeah netflix and a video player app FFS.
Yeah we own the wii u have 4 controllers, 2 can be playing Mario and one laying bricks on the U pad.

It’s pretty fun tbh. Just totally thought we could have got a new super Mario bro’s game. My kids and wife have spent a ton of time in that game.

Willing to try the switch. Odyssey is catching on and maker seems to be fun.

(My nephew lent us a lot of his games because all he plays is fortnite)
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #2102
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odyssey is a great game, I have been playing that...its just not fun for more than one person. Wii U did really well at four player games and that suits my family...hopefully the Switch can bring more of those.

New Mario 3D World is on my wish list
Old 05-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #2103
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Odyssey is a great game, I have been playing that...its just not fun for more than one person. Wii U did really well at four player games and that suits my family...hopefully the Switch can bring more of those.

New Mario 3D World is on my wish list
Yeah the multiplayer was always fun.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #2104
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but my one criticism with the Switch is how the controller sucks wirelessly, especially when I'm sitting a bit further back and my coffee table is partially blocking the path between my controller and the console. I'd regularly lose button connection on the right joycon. The updates haven't really helped. It got so bad, I stopped playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because it really ruined the enjoyment. I finally just bought a wired Hori third party controller and it's much better now. I must say, for 25 bucks, its a solid controller, since the wireless pro controller from Nintendo is way overpriced.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #2105
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

stang, are you and your kids interested in platforming games in general or is it Mario games specifically? There's lots of quality platformers on the e-shop, such as Celeste (highly recommend) or Shovel Knight. Quality games and much cheaper than first-party Nintendo titles.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #2106
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
stang, are you and your kids interested in platforming games in general or is it Mario games specifically? There's lots of quality platformers on the e-shop, such as Celeste (highly recommend) or Shovel Knight. Quality games and much cheaper than first-party Nintendo titles.
Don’t really know. They don’t play much else lol have a ps4 that I really only play.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #2107
doublej_23
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Don’t really know. They don’t play much else lol have a ps4 that I really only play.

Here is anouther good one for kids:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...dition-switch/

My boys have played it on PS4 and it was one of the first games they played. It's very forgiving when playing multiplayer and it was actually a lot of fun.
doublej_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doublej_23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #2108
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej_23 View Post
Here is anouther good one for kids:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...dition-switch/

My boys have played it on PS4 and it was one of the first games they played. It's very forgiving when playing multiplayer and it was actually a lot of fun.
Awesome really appreciate these.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #2109
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but my one criticism with the Switch is how the controller sucks wirelessly, especially when I'm sitting a bit further back and my coffee table is partially blocking the path between my controller and the console. I'd regularly lose button connection on the right joycon. The updates haven't really helped. It got so bad, I stopped playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because it really ruined the enjoyment. I finally just bought a wired Hori third party controller and it's much better now. I must say, for 25 bucks, its a solid controller, since the wireless pro controller from Nintendo is way overpriced.
That's my biggest issue with the Switch, the Joy-Cons. I have the same problem with all my Joy-Cons, it makes playing multiplayer very frustrating

I almost always play handheld so don't have the issue too much, but it is a big issue
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #2110
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
There's lots of quality platformers on the e-shop, such as Celeste (highly recommend) or Shovel Knight. Quality games and much cheaper than first-party Nintendo titles.
I don't think I could ever recommend Celeste or Shovel Knight to kids. They're old school hard and would likely frustrate them more than anything.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #2111
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah Celeste and Shovel Knight are great, but not for young kids

If you're looking for multiplayer, games I haven't seen mentioned are:

Yoshi's Crafted World
Good Job!
Tools Up
Snipperclips
Kirby Star Allies
Toad Treasure Tracker
Mario Tennis
Mario Sonic Olympics
Mario Party
Go Vacation (not worth $65 but fun if it's on sale)

Those are all exclusives I'm pretty sure. Non-exclusives I'd add are:

Riverbond (recommended by huntingwhale and it's awesome)
Moving Out
Human Fall Flat
Totally Reliable Delivery Service
Marooners
Any of the Lego games
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (low difficulty makes it a super fun and easy button masher with all the Marvel characters)

If you have Nintendo Online, you also get a huge catalog of NES and SNES games. All 3 Mario's, Mario World and Ice Hockey are still amazing

Add all that to Mario Maker 2, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Minecraft, Rayman Legends etc. There's plenty of great multiplayer games to consider
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #2112
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can also buy a $25 dongle that allows you to use PS4, Xbox One, Wii U Pro, controllers and it works very well. Good if you already have the controllers.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #2113
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Genuinely surprised to hear that. Knock on wood and all that but we've had absolutely no problems with the 4 joycons we have. I'm even impressed with the battery life.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #2114
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can also buy a $25 dongle that allows you to use PS4, Xbox One, Wii U Pro, controllers and it works very well. Good if you already have the controllers.
Really? Huh, I never knew that existed. The Playstation controllers have been my controller of choice since the PS1, so I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #2115
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Huh, I never knew that existed. The Playstation controllers have been my controller of choice since the PS1, so I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!
This is the one I got...works perfect and has rumble features

https://www.amazon.ca/Mayflash-Magic...8718554&sr=8-4
Old 05-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #2116
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody have any inside information on when super Mario 3-D world might be coming to the switch? I know it’s supposed to come out or be announced at the 35th anniversary of Nintendo but I would really like to know if it’s at the end of 2020 or summer of 2020 or when?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #2117
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There's a bunch of rumours to that effect, but I wouldn't just accept the rumour as happening. All of us Final Fantasy fans learned that the hard way a couple years ago when a FF retro collection was supposed to come out for that series' 30th anniversary.

However, there is a lot of smoke to that rumour. It is also known that Nintendo won't be doing a June Direct this year (i.e.: for E3) because the covid situation has delayed a number of their projects. Best guess is we find out in July if the Mario rumours are real, and probably fall for release. Strikes me as the kind of games they would send out as their big holiday titles for the year.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 05-06-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 10:30 PM   #2118
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I wouldn’t expect anything like that in the summer. They have Xenoblade and Clubhouse Games as their releases through to end of June, there might be something smaller planned for July / August. I’d say the earliest we see any of those Mario ports / remasters would be in September — but who really knows at this point.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #2119
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where you guys getting Switches?! I lent mine to my brother/kids cause he couldn't procure one, and I want him to get his own so I can get mine back!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #2120
doublej_23
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Where you guys getting Switches?! I lent mine to my brother/kids cause he couldn't procure one, and I want him to get his own so I can get mine back!
It took a bit but I got mine a week ago, I used this site:
https://www.nowinstock.net/ca/videog...intendoswitch/

Just keep an eye on the comments every so often and the will indicate which sites have it in stock. I got mine via best buy (starlink bundle).
doublej_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doublej_23 For This Useful Post: