Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Wrestling Draft - Signup!

Participants get to draft a roster comprised of the following categories:

2009-2001
1991-2000
1980-1990
Pre-80's
Tag Team
Stable
Women's
Personality (announcer/valet/manager/bodyguard/special referee)
Storyline
Title Belt
PPV
Match

The decade categories apply to the year of the wrestler's debut in one of WWE/F, WCW, ECW, and TNA. For the Pre-80's category, territories can be selected, but a link between the territory and one of the aforementioned four companies (NWA being absorbed by WCW, WWWF being absorbed by WWE/F, etc).

If a wrestler is selected as part of a stable or tag team, he's still available to be selected as a singles wrestler (The Rock in Nation of Domination, Triple H in DX etc).

The same works for title belts as well, like the European Belt being absorbed by the Intercontinental and so on.

If a former wrestler is selected in the "Personality" category, he isn't eligible for selection as a singles wrestler (Gorilla Monsoon, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley as announcers, for example).

The storyline category will be defined as a specific event/feud (forming of nWo, WCW invades WWE, Austin vs McMahon, etc)

Current list of people signed up:

1. Flamesguy_SJ
2. MQS
3. Prototype
4. Superflyer
5. GreenTeaFrapp
6. CaptainCrunch
7. SteveToms
8. CMPunk
9. socalwingsfan

Last edited by Flamesguy_SJ; 02-14-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I love the idea,

I don't follow wrestling that closely anymore, and even then my memory on it isn't 100% but I'd definitely be in

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^To be honest, I don't really follow it either. I watch from a week or two before the Rumble up until the night after Wrestlemania, and that's about it.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
^^^To be honest, I don't really follow it either. I watch from a week or two before the Rumble up until the night after Wrestlemania, and that's about it.
When I'm old and grey I'll still be watching the Rumble, finding people to gamble on it with me.

As a kid the Rumble was by far my favourite PPV, then I discovered putting money on it! Now it's my favourite PPV of anything (wrestling, boxing, MMA, movies, etc).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Prototype

Exp:

I'm in.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm in as well.

I'm more old school wrestling fan

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I think this may be pretty neat. I think we should add TNA in there as well as they have good wrestlers and matches as well.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Prototype

Exp:

Depending on the number of people, I'd drop the play-by-play/colour categories, or change it to "personalities", which could include those, plus managers, bodyguards, etc. Opens up the availability pool a little bit.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

So which format do you all think would be best? Making a PPV card, or drafting a roster? I would imagine making a PPV card would be easier and more appealing to a greater number of people who don't necessarily still follow wrestling.

Either way, I think I'd drop the commentators and theme music categories, and with the roster option add in a Wildcard and Personalities category like Proto suggested. Maybe we could refine the year categories to something like "Post Brand Split", "Monday Night Wars/Attitude Era", "Rock N' Wrestling", "Territory Days".

For the PPV card, we could drop the Women's Title match and maybe one of the "Big Four" matches.

Obviously, this draft is currently set-up to favour selections from WWE, but we could change it around a little so it wouldn't have to be so limiting if more people felt that way.

So far we have the following people signed up:
Flamesguy_SJ
MQS
Prototype
Superflyer
CaptainCrunch

I think we'd be looking for 8-10 people for this one, so spread the word to all the wrestling fans on here that you know.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously, this draft is currently set-up to favour selections from WWE, but we could change it around a little so it wouldn't have to be so limiting if more people felt that way.
I'd be interested if it wasn't so WWE focused.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Prototype

Exp:

Might I suggest:

2002-2009
1996-2001
1990-1995
1984-1989
1980-1983
Pre 80's
Tag team
Woman's Division
Storyline
Stable
Worst Gimick
Personality (announcer/manager/valet/bodyguard)
Theme music
Title Belt
Specific PPV (ie - WWE Wrestlemania I, Starcade '94, etc)
Best Match

Updated with CMPunk's suggestions...

Last edited by Prototype; 02-13-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I think you should have best stable as a category as well as best manager/valet/bodyguard
Old 02-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm fine with those categories, but as was mentioned in the Superhero Draft thread, perhaps one of the causes of people losing interest in these drafts is the number of rounds. So, I think we could probably drop Theme music, and have the years broken up a little more generally like 2001-2009, 1991-2000, 1980-1990, pre-80's, and take out Worst Gimmick. That would leave us with:

2001-2009
1991-2000
1980-1990
Pre-80's
Tag Team
Stable
Women's Division
Personality
Storyline
Title Belt
PPV
Match

Just to add, if the draft moves along really well, I can always add two "wildcard" categories or something along those lines.

Last edited by Flamesguy_SJ; 02-13-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm in.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Just to add, if the draft moves along really well, I can always add two "wildcard" categories or something along those lines.
So what is the expectation for our pick in the "decades" category? Are we taking a wrestler who wrestled in that era, and getting their whole career, or only that decade?

Or do we make it when they made their first debut in one of the major companies (WWF, WCW, ECW, NWA, AWA, Stampede, etc)?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
So which format do you all think would be best? Making a PPV card, or drafting a roster? I would imagine making a PPV card would be easier and more appealing to a greater number of people who don't necessarily still follow wrestling.
I would vote roster style. A wrester or group is more open then going with a match. Just my thought
Old 02-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
So what is the expectation for our pick in the "decades" category? Are we taking a wrestler who wrestled in that era, and getting their whole career, or only that decade?

Or do we make it when they made their first debut in one of the major companies (WWF, WCW, ECW, NWA, AWA, Stampede, etc)?
That's an interesting question. My first response would be that the wrestler would have had to debut in that decade and/or actively wrestled, but then what do you do with guys like Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, or Ric Flair?

The concept of getting a decade of a wrestler's career is an interesting idea.

If we can't come to a decision about them, what about getting rid of the year categories and replacing them with Face, Heel, and two Wildcards? Or even Heavyweight, Cruiser/Lightheavyweight, Face, Heel?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
Prototype

Exp:

I still like the decade/debut idea... and leave it open.

Take Bret Hart for instance, he made his WWE debut in 1984, and his WCW debut in 1997... so, he'd be available for the 1980s and the 1990s.

Someone like Batista made his debut in 2002, so he'd only be available for the 2000 category.

For me, I think it would be easier to track the debuts for the big 3... or 4 (WCW/NWA, WWF, ECW, TNA) but that would leave out a lot of the 70s and prior. But all those companies started out as something else... NWA to WCW, WWWF to WWF, etc. So for the pre-80s, if you can track them to a company that turned into one of the big guys, we accept it?

I'm not that big a fan of the Heel/Face selections, as even Hulk Hogan has been either or, and with all the other categories, wildcard selections don't quite make sense either.

Just a thought.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
For me, I think it would be easier to track the debuts for the big 3... or 4 (WCW/NWA, WWF, ECW, TNA) but that would leave out a lot of the 70s and prior. But all those companies started out as something else... NWA to WCW, WWWF to WWF, etc. So for the pre-80s, if you can track them to a company that turned into one of the big guys, we accept it?
That works for me. So the final categories are

2009-2001
1991-2000
1980-1990
Pre-80's
Tag Team
Stable
Women's
Personality
Storyline
Title Belt
PPV
Match

If a wrestler is selected as part of a stable or tag team, he's still available to be selected as a singles wrestler (The Rock in Nation of Domination, Triple H in DX etc).

The same works for title belts as well, like the European Belt being absorbed by the Intercontinental and so on.

If a former wrestler is selected in the "Personality" category, he isn't eligible for selection as a singles wrestler (Gorilla Monsoon, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley as announcers, for example).

The following people are currently signed up:

Flamesguy_SJ
MQS
Prototype
Superflyer
CaptainCrunch
SteveToms
CMPunk
GreenTeaFrapp

Willing to accept 2-4 more people, but I'd say that's about it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
Prototype

Exp:

I think one other thing we should clearify is what "storyline" is.

I was thinking that someone may take nWo as a storyline. To me, the birth of the nWo is a Storyline, while the nWo is a Stable. nWo Hollywood vs. nWo Wolfpack was a storyline involving two Stables.

Just wanted to make sure there was clearification.

Tags
draft , workshop , wrestling