Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #321
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Got an Email from Glenlake.

Essentially, 60% of Calgary Associations do not want realignment. Hockey Calgary is making NOT basing their decision on what the Associations want.

Glenlake seem's to think a 13 Association alignment is the most likely to go through.
I would guess most LMHA's would never be in favor of any realignment regardless. At least that's been my experience with the several we were part of over the years my kids played hockey. And it mostly boiled down to access to ice as the rationale behind it. Hockey Calgary is looking at the overall picture to ensure the overall health of minor hockey in Calgary and it's probably fair to day their decisions are almost never going to be popular. But at the end of the day the changes are generally good.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #322
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
I only ever saw info for re-alignment of the North but not the South. Other than a Midnapore /Lake Bonavista merge what else was there for the South.
This is the 13 Association Boundary change. The opinion of Glenlake is that this is likely the one they pick. No guarantee's obviously.

Spoiler for large image.

Spoiler!
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #323
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
This is the 13 Association Boundary change. The opinion of Glenlake is that this is likely the one they pick. No guarantee's obviously.

Spoiler for large image.

Spoiler!
Ah man. This would mean my son would move to Midnapore. Nothing wrong with that but the last 2 years he’s actually been on teams where he has known his teammates. The previous years he’s only ever known a couple.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #324
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, if I was one of those parents in Coach Hill or Patterson (I grew up in Strathcona and played for Trails West), I would be pretty annoyed to be driving all the way out to Springbank all the time (not knowing the quality of either association at the moment).
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #325
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Holy I hope that isn't the direction they go. Moving SW communities to the NW Warriors area seems ridiculous given the state of Crowchild. We live 10min from Optimist/Blunden and Westside. And I'm sure FCA is also closer than any rink in the Warriors area.

Those Simons Valley and McKnight areas are also ridiculously spread out.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #326
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Man, if I was one of those parents in Coach Hill or Patterson (I grew up in Strathcona and played for Trails West), I would be pretty annoyed to be driving all the way out to Springbank all the time (not knowing the quality of either association at the moment).
I'm not commenting on the general restructuring (haven't studied it yet) but I'm not so sure how bad this particularly part would be? mind you we are further west (West Springs) but always found the Springbank drive to be an easy one (well weather dependant I suppose). would Patterson- Springbank be much different than Patterson- FCA (which I think is the home base for Trails West- or am I wrong on that?)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #327
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
Holy I hope that isn't the direction they go. Moving SW communities to the NW Warriors area seems ridiculous given the state of Crowchild. We live 10min from Optimist/Blunden and Westside. And I'm sure FCA is also closer than any rink in the Warriors area.

Those Simons Valley and McKnight areas are also ridiculously spread out.
That is a huge function of the number of players. McKnight and Saints had one of the smaller player bases I believe

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #328
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The boy plays for South Championship tonight.

Came through the B bracket, so need to win 2 games, but they have beaten the top two teams in the Division to get here.

Playing with house money at this point.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #329
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is great that they have the association name still as Midnapore (no the Mavericks) and the community of Midnapore is no longer in that association.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #330
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I think it is great that they have the association name still as Midnapore (no the Mavericks) and the community of Midnapore is no longer in that association.
They changed the association name last year to just be "Mavericks Hockey".

Also, a friend whose son plays for Lake Bonavista said the president emailed everyone to say Hockey Calgary will release the decision around new boundaries on the 18th. Speculation being they are waiting until after City Championships to avoid any negativity during their finals.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #331
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
They changed the association name last year to just be "Mavericks Hockey".

Also, a friend whose son plays for Lake Bonavista said the president emailed everyone to say Hockey Calgary will release the decision around new boundaries on the 18th. Speculation being they are waiting until after City Championships to avoid any negativity during their finals.

We got an email from our association as well. Sounds like 3 proposals are on the table. For us , at least, one would be status quo ( no changes at all), one where BV loses 25% of memebers via going to 13 associations and one change wouldn’t affect us.

I agree with you about the speculation. But can you imagine the thrill of victory of winning City’s and then having the feeling you might not be able to do that again bwcause you might be going to a weaker association or never seeing those teammates again.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #332
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

those things certainly happen. our association was a powerhouse in atom circa 2012- after cities some of those boys were yanked away to the darkside never to be seen again
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #333
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I received an email from our association, NW Warriors, today with some new information that I haven't seen or heard before. Apparently the realignment options have one option where the NW Warriors would be dissolved entirely and the communities shifted amongst three other associations (I'm assuming Bow River, Crowfoot and McKnight?) This is horrible news. Sounds like the board votes next week on the changes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #334
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the letter of concern/opposition to Hockey Calgary regarding the elimination of the NWW. Interestingly, the association states that Hockey Calgary doesn't feel the Board of NWW is looking out for the best interests of the NWW players and families. I wonder when and how a rift developed between the association and Hockey Calgary. It sounds like Hockey Calgary hates us.

http://www.nwwarriorshockey.com/hc-b...-announcement/
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #335
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler for large image.

Spoiler!
So if I am looking at this map correctly, mindapore would not the in the association called mindapore.

I am asssuming the numbers in each neighbourhood are the numbers of kids playing hockey. If correct, I wonder if they pull out quadrant players - not that it would have a huge impact
Old 03-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #336
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why not just wait until Hockey Calgary makes the decision before freaking out. I get being bummed if you are in an association that might be potentially dissolved. Change is hard, but be strong and positive for your kids. I don't think it is fair to anyone sharing these proposed changes, it just causes a lot of unnecessary stress.

Last edited by gordo67; 03-17-2019 at 08:50 PM.
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #337
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record, I am not freaking out, I am curious.

My son will be heading into his last year of midget, so the change will likely not impact him.

Eric Francis tweeted that he will have the NW president on the radio tomorrow at 9.20 or so. I would love to hear his thoughts.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #338
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
For the record, I am not freaking out, I am curious.

My son will be heading into his last year of midget, so the change will likely not impact him.

Eric Francis tweeted that he will have the NW president on the radio tomorrow at 9.20 or so. I would love to hear his thoughts.
Not to many here freaking, but a lot of people are. Why did NWW just divulge the info yesterday to their members, probably have known for awhile.

Last edited by gordo67; 03-17-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #339
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm curious what association Francis belongs to. Its interesting that he would have someone from the NWW on when they are one of the two associations rumoured to be facing elimination.

There is so much conflicting info out there right now that there is no point getting worked up until something is announced. Hopefully that comes soon.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 AM   #340
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
I'm curious what association Francis belongs to. Its interesting that he would have someone from the NWW on when they are one of the two associations rumoured to be facing elimination.

There is so much conflicting info out there right now that there is no point getting worked up until something is announced. Hopefully that comes soon.
I am not sure what association Francis belongs to. I think he is contacting them because there is possibility of them being dissolved. The Saints were on the radio the other day https://omny.fm/shows/afternoons-wit...hockey-calgary. Personally I don't think NWW will be dissolved because it makes no sense. Saints is another story. Saints are the largest association by land mass, but have the smallest number of players. Their numbers have dwindled and will probably continue to. Demographics are not in their favor.

I think I heard someone from NWW say HC wants to disband them because they have "more ice then others" that is a ridiculous statement. Saints also state they have their "own ice", they have 2 sheets. They probably don't get ice from HC, because they have 450 members.

Last edited by gordo67; 03-18-2019 at 05:08 AM.