Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #2121
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Spoiler!

It felt like it was too soon right after the George Floyd murder to bring it into the whole conversation, because it really was a time to listen and focus on that incident.

But the issue of police abusing power is an issue for everyone and there are victims from all backgrounds affected by it. Black people are disproportionately affected so it is a logical place to focus energy and the positive effects of supporting the BLM movement are universal. That is why anyone who really thinks "all lives matter" will support BLM, because that is precisely what message and goals are.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #2122
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Saskatoon had a protest a few nights ago, around 1500 people, completely peaceful. Not a single incident. Winnipeg reports the same with an even bigger protest. Calgary did OK to I think?

Canada setting the bar once again for how to get it done.

Mean while in the states, two more officers are killed in the riots.

I saw this image and thought it about perfectly sums up how I feel about these all of this. I think if you are tilting to far into either of these circles you are losing one of them. This might have already been posted but there are just to many responses for me to keep up here lol.

Spoiler!
Old 06-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #2123
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact the cops who murdered Daniel Shaver are free is a miscarriage of justice and is truly disgusting. The video of his murder is chilling to the core.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #2124
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Saskatoon had a protest a few nights ago, around 1500 people, completely peaceful. Not a single incident. Winnipeg reports the same with an even bigger protest. Calgary did OK to I think?

I saw this image and thought it about perfectly sums up how I feel about these all of this. I think if you are tilting to far into either of these circles you are losing one of them. This might have already been posted but there are just to many responses for me to keep up here lol.

Spoiler!

You should add one more circle about condemning police brutality and supporting systemic changes so bad police can never again abuse their power and will from here on out be held accountable for violent behaviour. But something more succinct than what I typed.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #2125
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

The problem is it's impossible to support the "good" police when they do nothing to stop the bad cops in their departments. For every video showing a police officer attacking defenseless people, there are many other cops in those same videos who do nothing to stop it. That makes them either willful accomplices or cowards, either way they deserve no respect
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #2126
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually do condone looting and rioting, not because I like it or wish it would happen, but because over my lifetime really bugger all has changed without it.
I wish the cops in the US had stopped being pricks after they strangled Eric Garner to death but nothing happened, there were protests and they ignored them and we went straight back to killing black people, it appears its only when we have riots and looting anything changes
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #2127
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The fact the cops who murdered Daniel Shaver are free is a miscarriage of justice and is truly disgusting. The video of his murder is chilling to the core.
I remember watching that when it was first released not really knowing what to expect. The images still haunt me today.

It was so clear that he was intoxicated and trying to pull up his shorts/pants.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #2128
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I actually do condone looting and rioting, not because I like it or wish it would happen, but because over my lifetime really bugger all has changed without it.
I wish the cops in the US had stopped being pricks after they strangled Eric Garner to death but nothing happened, there were protests and they ignored them and we went straight back to killing black people, it appears its only when we have riots and looting anything changes
What do you do for a living?

If you truly do condone the looting and rioting. Take your lifes work, and throw it out the window. Because that is what is happening to thousands of American families right now. Families of all colour and religion. COVID was hard enough to keep a business floating, now you have to deal with it all being burned to the ground?

So go ahead, take a pic when you're done to show you truly support it all. It's easy to say you support it, when you aren't the one paying the price.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #2129
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The problem is it's impossible to support the "good" police when they do nothing to stop the bad cops in their departments. For every video showing a police officer attacking defenseless people, there are many other cops in those same videos who do nothing to stop it. That makes them either willful accomplices or cowards, either way they deserve no respect
ive often thought the same thing. If a good cop reports a dirt bag cop, it is he that will be looked down upon and ostricized by the other cops. That culture needs to change, good police officers should want the loose cannons out of the dept. as it reflects poorly on them
Old 06-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #2130
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What do you do for a living?

If you truly do condone the looting and rioting. Take your lifes work, and throw it out the window. Because that is what is happening to thousands of American families right now. Families of all colour and religion. COVID was hard enough to keep a business floating, now you have to deal with it all being burned to the ground?

So go ahead, take a pic when you're done to show you truly support it all. It's easy to say you support it, when you aren't the one paying the price.
And thousands of Americans have their lives destroyed by police brutality, institutional racism, George Floyd's families lives have been destroyed, call me an anarchist but I value life over property and if, and I will give you its an if, the system changes and less persons of colour, well less everyone, in States are killed needlessly by a police force that has turned into little more than an army of occupation then the loss of property will be a price worth paying.

We lost lots of property in the war, didn't make the war wrong though

But yes, you are right it is easy for me to say, I havn't lost a thing, no argument there
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #2131
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't support the looting especially when it's small independent stores. That being said, I was very happy to see that precinct in Minneapolis get burnt down with cops fleeing from it. Hopefully now the "good cops" on that force will see that the actions of "bad cops" actually have a direct effect on every cop.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #2132
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I was very happy to see that precinct in Minneapolis get burnt down with cops fleeing from it. Hopefully now the "good cops" on that force will see that the actions of "bad cops" actually have a direct effect on every cop.
Yeah, sure, that's probably going to be the lesson they'll take from that. I'm sure this will work out just fantastically well in that regard.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #2133
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually do condone looting and rioting
And that’s where I stopped reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #2134
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
And that’s where I stopped reading.
If you look up the Civil Rights Act of 1968 you will learn that it was only drafted as a response to the Detroit riots of 1967, but the GOP and the dixiecrats blocked it in congress and it would never have become law until Martin Luther King was murdered, but it wasn't the killing that changed things, for 8 days US cities burned, on the 8th day the GOP gave in and passed the law in a desperate attempt to calm the situation, that law is the basis of most of the advances black America has made since the Jim Crow laws, there would be no Obama without that act.

Do I like the fact that apparently the people that rule us don't do a thing until the rioting starts? no, do I want the police in the US to stop killing black people? yes, do I know how to square that circle? suggestions are welcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #2135
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And thousands of Americans have their lives destroyed by police brutality, institutional racism, George Floyd's families lives have been destroyed, call me an anarchist but I value life over property and if, and I will give you its an if, the system changes and less persons of colour, well less everyone, in States are killed needlessly by a police force that has turned into little more than an army of occupation then the loss of property will be a price worth paying.

We lost lots of property in the war, didn't make the war wrong though

But yes, you are right it is easy for me to say, I havn't lost a thing, no argument there
People have died during these riots. Some of them black people. Yeah its easy to think its all worth smashing up a few windows it if it changes things, but there are victims and lives destroyed in this type of reaction too, but no one is talking about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-people-killed

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 06-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #2136
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
People have died during these riots. Some of them black people. Yeah its easy to think its all worth smashing up a few windows it if it changes things, but there are victims and lives destroyed in this type of reaction too, but no one is talking about that.

I'm not arguing its a good thing, I just don't know how else anything changes
Old 06-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #2137
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
suggestions are welcome.
I see your condoning rioting and looting and raise you a few more innocent (black) deaths.

All about the long game.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #2138
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but the problem you're describing is systemic. The "good" cops have no means to step up against bad ones. They know their concerns fall on deaf ears and all they will accomplish is getting themselves punished for breaking ranks. It's no different from organized crime. You go against the family, you will be made an example of.

Cowardly, sure. Willful accomplices, sure. But the change has to happen in how the actions of public safety officials are regulated and overseen, otherwise we're just throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #2139
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

And for the life of me I cannot escape the idea that any of these people would have lost anything if the cops just didn't do the stuff they're doing... I cannot simply get around the fact that an oppressive police force killing innocent people Carte Blanche with no repercussions unless caught in the act didn't destroy those businesses or allow rioters to do the things they did.

If we are talking about accountability first and foremost the priority has to be towards the police and their racist behavior, everything else is a direct result of their actions. It does not make it right that people lost their livelihoods or in some cases their lives but negating the cause because loss of life happened on the rioters side should not and can not negate the reckless loss of life caused by those in power.

IMO we are still mid cycle of the government playbook where its tit for tat and people blaming rioters and right wingers bringing in boogeyman arguments against anarchist behaviors during protests.

Nothing has changed yet, its all the same until the courts bring actual justice for Floyd and others like Breonna Taylor. If that doesn't happen its just the same old song and dance.

I wish that people would stop trying to pry focus away from the real problem by trying to bring light to the travesties looters have committed under an opportune circumstance.

Its likely they'll be identified and given harsher convictions than the actual people who started this whole mess in the first place. And that is the problem.

Edit: I had to remind myself that the police force is only one third of the equation regarding the systemic racism in the U.S, we still have yet to see the other two actually be the leaders of the changes needed and that governments and the judicial system.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-06-2020 at 04:35 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #2140
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump has set race relations in the US back 50 years.
Closed Thread