Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #1841
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Last night I watched a Ron Howard film "In The Heart Of The Sea"

In the winter of 1820, the New England whaling ship Essex was assaulted by something no one could believe: a whale of mammoth size and will, and an almost human sense of vengeance.

I really thought it was a well done movie, and a real imaginative add on to Moby Dick. Also the acting was really strong throughout, the effects were terrific to.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #1842
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm on a real run of watching making of movies documentaries on Amazon Prime, anyone that has it should watch the Never Surrender documentary on the making of Galaxy Quest, the interviews with the cast and crew were great and funny, and sad when they got to Alan Rickman's death. You could see Weaver trying not to break down

To me when I rank movies, Galaxy Quest is almost a perfect movie for what it was.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 01:53 AM   #1843
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm on a real run of watching making of movies documentaries on Amazon Prime, anyone that has it should watch the Never Surrender documentary on the making of Galaxy Quest, the interviews with the cast and crew were great and funny, and sad when they got to Alan Rickman's death. You could see Weaver trying not to break down

To me when I rank movies, Galaxy Quest is almost a perfect movie for what it was.
Love Galaxy Quest! That flick is a better Star Trek movie than most Star Trek movies. I'm gonna have to check out this documentary.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #1844
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I've spent my time fruitfully binge-watching the Fast & the Furious movies 1-7.

Funny thing; even though director Shaun Lin (director of movies 3-6) is clearly the guy who polished the gem that was hiding within the franchise, I'd argue that his films are the worst in the franchise (at least until movie 7, haven't seen the ones after that).

1 and 2 are fun driving flicks. They're about cars and driving them fast, some hijinxs and friendship stuff. If you like cars and driving them fast, these films really deliver.

Films 3 and 4 are basically inferior versions of those films. (Fast & Furious is still pretty good though, it just feels very redundant and "I've seen this already" after the first two.)

Films 5 and 6 are where the franchise stops being about driving cars and friendship and becomes all about destroying cars and mythbuilding the characters into over the top versions of themselves. The films have good action, but also a lot of what I'd call "dead scenes" which explain the not that interesting details of the characters personal lives and relationships. What makes these scenes a waste of space is that they tend to drag down the pacing of their movies while contributing nothing to the films they're in. They don't affect the actual plot and the don't really add up to proper character arcs. Surprisingly little time is also spent in cars.

Then you get to Furious 7, where director James Wan made just a flat out better version of the previous two films. The action is more entertaining, the jokes are funnier, the characters and their relationships work better and most importantly the whole movie has massively better pacing. If you're only going to watch one film in the franchise, I'd recommend Furious 7 (with the obvious caveat that there's three more films I haven't seen.)

(If you're into cars and driving you've probably already seen 1 and 2, so there's no point in recommending them )

Last edited by Itse; 04-25-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #1845
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Love Galaxy Quest! That flick is a better Star Trek movie than most Star Trek movies. I'm gonna have to check out this documentary.

It was funny because the Justin Long story about Rickman writing him a card for his debut in a broadway play and the cover of the card said F$$$ you.

Or Weaver trying to keep her composure.

When they talked about the scene where Tim Allen had to tell the truth about not being a Captain but an actor, they were all awesome.

There was a long segment on the chopper scene where they rounded the corner and Weaver actually says "Oh F$$$ this" but they had to redub it to "Oh Screw this".

It was a great documentary I really enjoyed it. Its a must watch.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #1846
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure if this has been posted before but I just ran across a documentary that was a huge surprise and I just loved. I haven't thought of all these movies in years, had no idea so many of them were made by the same company and the 2 Israeli guys behind them were such characters.

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films

They're responsible for Breakin', Death Wish, the early Chuck Norris movies, Superman IV, King Solomon's Mines, and on and on. Great watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...f_Cannon_Films

https://youtu.be/6TfJBNReCNo
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #1847
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before but I just ran across a documentary that was a huge surprise and I just loved. I haven't thought of all these movies in years, had no idea so many of them were made by the same company and the 2 Israeli guys behind them were such characters.

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films

They're responsible for Breakin', Death Wish, the early Chuck Norris movies, Superman IV, King Solomon's Mines, and on and on. Great watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...f_Cannon_Films

https://youtu.be/6TfJBNReCNo

I actually own this on DVD. Great doc!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #1848
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Not a high bar. I dont disagree at all, part of loving Star Trek movies is acknowledging that they largely suck.

Still though...not a high bar.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #1849
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

“It Chapter 2” was kind of disappointing. Just boring. Should have just make another movie with only the kids. Like what was even the point of the Bowers’ character in this movie?

I think if you combined the previous movie with an updated version of the 1990 one, it would have been pretty good.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #1850
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, I wish they would have left it alone, the original was great and Tim Curry was the perfect Pennywise.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #1851
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Well, I've spent my time fruitfully binge-watching the Fast & the Furious movies 1-7.

\
At least once a year i binge the whole series, albeit usually in the background while I do a project in the house. They are all ridiculous and fantastic and I don't care what anyone thinks.

Cars, stunts, insanity and some great chemistry.

9 is due out shortly, but being pushed til next spring

Hobbs and Shaw was a hot mess, even by FF standards, I don't know if I can add that to the annual binge.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #1852
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Anyone seen Sorry to Bother You?

If you like dark comedy and tons of political messaging, you're in for an... odd treat.

Still trying to wrap my head around wtf I watched haha. It was a cross between the TV shows Atlanta and Black Mirror.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #1853
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Watched Collateral for the first time in many years, and I think it's the best work of Michael Mann. Tighter and more focused than Heat, and Tom Cruise is fantastic as a true villain. I had forgot how many other big names were in it as well, Mark Ruffalo and Javier Bardem were great surprises
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #1854
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Anyone seen Sorry to Bother You?

If you like dark comedy and tons of political messaging, you're in for an... odd treat.

Still trying to wrap my head around wtf I watched haha. It was a cross between the TV shows Atlanta and Black Mirror.
Absolutely love that movie, it won’t be for everyone but it is fantastic.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #1855
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry To Bother You is one of my favorites. It feels like a place in the near future of Office Space and the distant past of Idiocracy.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #1856
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Watched Extraction tonight.

I was entertained, but it is another typical action flick where the hero is a cant miss crack shot just mowing down the bad guys mercilessly with head shot after head shot and brutally deadly hand to hand combat.

Some great action sequences though IMO, especially how they shot the one chase scene, with what seems like a single camera just following and weaving in and out of the chase.
Agree, I thought the camera work and fight scenes were great. Other than that a generic action flick. Worth the watch on Netflix.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #1857
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

His character in that is more of a god than his character in the Avengers.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #1858
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Lawless was not good. It certainly had aspirations to be but it was boring, meandering, and could have actually used at least another 30 minutes to make me care slightly about any of the characters at all. Going in the skip pile for Tom Hardy films.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #1859
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Tonight was K-19 The Widowmaker. The Russians launch their first nuclear powered submarine with disasterious results.

Best scene from the movie where a sailor sacrifices his life in an attempt to save the crew.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #1860
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Fury last night.

So, so bad, just a terrible movie. The last fight in the end is so unrealistic, dumb and overly dramatic that I can hardly understand how that got made. Let's not even talk about the scene in the village with the German women, I haven't cringed that hard and often at a movie in a long time.

This scene is the only somewhat worthwhile thing about the film. (And there's just so many questions...) You can watch this and skip the rest.

Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: