Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #1821
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The final sequence and the score was ####ing movie perfection.
Cinematography-wise, yes, it was a perfect masterpiece.

Story-wise, it was garbage.

"Act one: I should leave"
Act two: I need to leave or you're going to die. Also, I've always said I'd leave when I need to"
Act three: #### it let's have a shoot out and not talk professionally for 30 years."

They did do a good job convincing the audience it had to happen, but only because Mann wanted that shootout.

I say this with the caveat that it's my favorite movie of all time, but it's not without its flaws.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 04-19-2020 at 11:55 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:57 AM   #1822
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Downhill tonight, with Will Ferrell and Julia Louis Dreyfus.

Not funny in the slightest. Literally one laugh.

But here's the surprising thing - the movie wasn't attempting to be funny! It's basically a serious movie about Will and Julia's marriage breaking down. Just weird
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:51 AM   #1823
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Last night I watched a Ron Howard film "In The Heart Of The Sea"

In the winter of 1820, the New England whaling ship Essex was assaulted by something no one could believe: a whale of mammoth size and will, and an almost human sense of vengeance.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #1824
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched an old classic this past Saturday.
The Blues Brothers. Still astounds me how many amazing performers they had on the show.

Would love to know how much cocaine was used during the filming of the movie.
From what Carrie Fisher used to say, it must have been one hell of a lot.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #1825
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

But here's the surprising thing - the movie wasn't attempting to be funny! It's basically a serious movie about Will and Julia's marriage breaking down. Just weird
You should watch the original on which it was based, which was pretty good. Swedish I believe? Yeah it was not a comedy.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #1826
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

God that movie sucked. Partly because I was expecting something funny considering it was being headlined by two famous comic actors.

But this is a movie that I hate above all others. Because if its not going to be funny, thats fine, obviously that should be clear as opposed to a surprise.

But the reason I absolutely hated it is because all the meat and bones of a good, interesting story are there and it can be explored, but this movie appears to make a point about missing it.

It could have explored the differences of perspectives to events or how future reactions to family turmoil can be affected by past experiences, there is so much there if you wanted to make a good, serious movie about human experiences.

But nuthin. So yeah, lots of wasted time and potential and overall it was just awful.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #1827
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Cinematography-wise, yes, it was a perfect masterpiece.

Story-wise, it was garbage.

"Act one: I should leave"
Act two: I need to leave or you're going to die. Also, I've always said I'd leave when I need to"
Act three: #### it let's have a shoot out and not talk professionally for 30 years."

They did do a good job convincing the audience it had to happen, but only because Mann wanted that shootout.

I say this with the caveat that it's my favorite movie of all time, but it's not without its flaws.
There's also the whole "Weingro is a serial killer" sideplot that had zero relevance to the story, and should have been cut simply for time. I'm guessing Mann put that in to drive home that McCauley couldn't let Weingro go, but it's only for the audience's benefit as there's no way the characters in the movie could have known about that

It's still a good movie and the action scenes are top notch, but I wouldn't put it in the all-time classic category
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #1828
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
There's also the whole "Weingro is a serial killer" sideplot that had zero relevance to the story, and should have been cut simply for time. I'm guessing Mann put that in to drive home that McCauley couldn't let Weingro go, but it's only for the audience's benefit as there's no way the characters in the movie could have known about that

It's still a good movie and the action scenes are top notch, but I wouldn't put it in the all-time classic category
It’s good but it’s no Den of Thieves.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #1829
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
God that movie sucked. Partly because I was expecting something funny considering it was being headlined by two famous comic actors.

But this is a movie that I hate above all others. Because if its not going to be funny, thats fine, obviously that should be clear as opposed to a surprise.

But the reason I absolutely hated it is because all the meat and bones of a good, interesting story are there and it can be explored, but this movie appears to make a point about missing it.

It could have explored the differences of perspectives to events or how future reactions to family turmoil can be affected by past experiences, there is so much there if you wanted to make a good, serious movie about human experiences.

But nuthin. So yeah, lots of wasted time and potential and overall it was just awful.
The film you are seeking is Force Majeure which was excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZO62OAbU2w

This one is a remake and sounds like they blew it.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #1830
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree to disagree. I think the movie was perfect and wouldn't change a thing. Right down to Pacino improvising on set the "SHES GOT A GREAT ASS" scene. The reaction from Hank Azaria was genuine and pretty amazin
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #1831
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
I'm more curious as to why he started with 5. Is it like watching the Star Wars movies now? Do they make more sense out of order?
Nah, Tokyo Drift is the only one out of sequence.

It goes: 1 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 3 - 7 - 8 - H&S - 9
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #1832
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Watched an old classic this past Saturday.
The Blues Brothers. Still astounds me how many amazing performers they had on the show.

Would love to know how much cocaine was used during the filming of the movie.
From what Carrie Fisher used to say, it must have been one hell of a lot.
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Even when there are faults, for some reason that just adds to the entirety of the experience itself. This is one of those movies where there is not a highlight scene, there are a series of highlight scenes from stem to stem.

This one could be a trailer for the movie. The story behind it is that it was an editing nightmare. James Brown couldn't do two takes the same way. He changed his lines, the lyrics to the song, and couldn't hit his mark. And it still works. I hate what musicals have become, because at one point they were among the best movies made.

I could watch this movie every day and not be bored by it.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #1833
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I just watched Doomed! The untold story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic 4 on Prime. What an amazing look at the movie that was made just so the rights to the Fantastic 4 could be secured to make the blockbuster fantastic 4. Its well made with lots of interviews and you end up feeling really sorry for the cast and crew who literally did everything to get that film finished and released only to see it not happen.

for those that want the story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fa...released_film)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #1834
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've dove down the Amazon well, I found another documentary called welcome to Tromaville, which is about the Troma studios, which I used to be a big fan of because of movies like Nuke em high and Toxic Avenger.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #1835
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Watched a Michael Douglas classic "Wall Street" I must be losing my mind! I can't believe I missed this one when it was released.

How Much is Enough?

Old 04-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #1836
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wall Street is fantastic. You could make a whole weekend out of bingeing some of the best "corporate" or Wall Street type movies.

Thinking Wolf of Wall Street, The Big Short, Glengarry Glen Ross. Margin Call and Boiler Room aren't too bad either.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #1837
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I tried watching Fatal Attraction but the suspension of disbelief was too much. The idea that anyone, in any decade, even one as awful and backwards as the 1980s, thought Glenn Close was an attractive woman is too much to stomach. I mean this both from casting and in-movie perspectives. It’d have been more believable if they cast Dustin Hoffman in drag to play Douglas’ partner in a torrid love affair.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #1838
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Thinking Wolf of Wall Street, The Big Short, Glengarry Glen Ross. Margin Call and Boiler Room aren't too bad either.
Boiler Room was solid.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #1839
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Boiler room was very very good. I've said it before, but the movie Other People's Money is always seriously under rated. But the Greed is good speech from Wall Street and the Amen speech from Other People's money are both awesome.

Wall Street was exceptional, its too bad the sequel was nonsensical trash with the only good scene being Bud Fox's cameo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 12:07 AM   #1840
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Extraction tonight.

I was entertained, but it is another typical action flick where the hero is a cant miss crack shot just mowing down the bad guys mercilessly with head shot after head shot and brutally deadly hand to hand combat.

Some great action sequences though IMO, especially how they shot the one chase scene, with what seems like a single camera just following and weaving in and out of the chase.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: