Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #3801
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched Zodiac this weekend.

Long but not a bad flick on an odd topic.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #3802
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I enjoyed Jungle Cruise actually. I had extremely low expectations going in though, so maybe that altered my judgement. It's definitely a child friendly campy popcorn action flick that you can't think too much about.

Spoiler!
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #3803
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I like the first 2/3 of it.

As soon as it started to explain itself with backstory it totally lost its momentum.

It does borrow an alarming amount from the 1999 Mummy.
This is how we felt, too. The first two-thirds were pleasantly surprising. Very reminiscent of other similar films but still, it was well paced and kept our attention. The last third is less good and down right confusing at times.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #3804
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Some recent-ish non slasher horror films:

A Girl Walks Home at Night
We Are Still Here
The House of the Devil
Kill List (maybe a bit disturbing)
The Void
Baskin (also maybe kind of disturbing)
The Alchemist Cookbook (Wasn’t a fan but it would fit in the A24 style if you like that sort of thing)
The Conspiracy (halfway decent found footage film)
Luz
Possessor
I'll add Raw to the list of recent arthouse horror recommendations, though it's more dark humour horror rather than anything outright scary. It's on Crave I believe.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #3805
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I'll add Raw to the list of recent arthouse horror recommendations, though it's more dark humour horror rather than anything outright scary. It's on Crave I believe.
Raw is worth a watch. As for Jungle Cruise, I thought it was okay as a family movie but had potential to be better. I don't mind cgi for monsters and stuff but for animals it just doesn't work for me.

Saw The Suicide Squad this weekend and quite enjoyed it. Over the top but a entertaining and didn't take itself seriously.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #3806
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Red Notice is a Don't. $200 million direct to video flick where Hollywood A-listers didn't bother getting out of character from their last comic book or action flick to make something memorable.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #3807
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Raw is worth a watch. As for Jungle Cruise, I thought it was okay as a family movie but had potential to be better. I don't mind cgi for monsters and stuff but for animals it just doesn't work for me.

Saw The Suicide Squad this weekend and quite enjoyed it. Over the top but a entertaining and didn't take itself seriously.
Raw and family recommendations in the same post is a little awkward lol.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #3808
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Red Notice is a Don't. $200 million direct to video flick where Hollywood A-listers didn't bother getting out of character from their last comic book or action flick to make something memorable.
Haven’t heard direct to video in quite a while. Doesn’t quite mean what it used to.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:38 PM   #3809
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
To be fair this presupposes any of those three have a character outside of the same one they play in every film.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #3810
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
To be fair this presupposes any of those three have a character outside of the same one they play in every film.
Ryan Reynolds was basically box office poison until they found a character that just let's him play Ryan Reynolds.

They're basically only a Mark Wahlberg away from having assembled the most one dimensional cast in history there.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:50 AM   #3811
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Antlers.

Great concept.
Scary monster (del toro is a master).
Execution.. not great.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #3812
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I watched American Woman (2018) on Netflix. It was written by the same guy who did Mare of Easttown. Directed by Jake Scott (son of Ridley Scott).

I was expecting another murder mystery but was pleasantly surprised by more of a character study. Sienna Miller did a great job. It's a bit depressing at times but I think it comes through in the end.

After looking up what else Jake Scott had done, I didn't realize he directed pretty much every 90s music video.

R.E.M.: Everybody Hurts
Smashing Pumpkins: Disarm
Live: Lightning Crashes
Radiohead: Fake Plastic Trees
Oasis: Morning Glory
Bush: Comedown
Spacehog: In the Meantime
Soundgarden: Fell on Black Days
Tina Turner: GoldenEye
U2: Staring at the Sun

And a couple dozen more.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #3813
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I watched Phantom of the Paradise for the first time yesterday and it blew me away. Just an amazing whacky 70s musical that's insane and campy and brilliant.

The story is about a musician who is writing his masterpiece based on the legend Faust and an evil music mogual steels his songs and wants to use them to open his new music venue the Paradise. There is alot more to it, but that's kinda the basic elements.

Apparently when it was released everywhere hated the film in North America and it only lasted a week in theatres, except Winnipeg where it was huge and played there for a year.
That is an interesting fact I have never heard before.

When I was in Wpg, Phantom was a cult favourite with my friends - we watched it and talked about far too much. Then when I would make references to quotes from it, I often got blank looks, which always surprised me.

Now I know why - no one else watched it!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #3814
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really enjoyed The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun, Wes Anderson's latest, although I think it will have a somewhat limited appeal. I've heard a couple other people describe it as "the most Wes-Anderson-ey Wes Anderson movie Wes Anderson has ever made" (EDIT: I think a lot of people say that about every movie he's made ) but it's phenomenally well-made, and if you can see past the cinematography, costuming and set dressings for what it is—a sort of love letter to magazines like The New Yorker—I think you'll really enjoy it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #3815
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That is an interesting fact I have never heard before.

When I was in Wpg, Phantom was a cult favourite with my friends - we watched it and talked about far too much. Then when I would make references to quotes from it, I often got blank looks, which always surprised me.

Now I know why - no one else watched it!
That's amazing, it's just the most obscure thing ever. They should have midnight showings of this film here I would have a blast watching this with an engaged audience. Here is an article with some more info, there is even a documentary about it that came out and fan festivals in Winnipeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5185828
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #3816
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not even a huge Ghostbusters fan but have really been looking forward to seeing Drumheller, etc in the new movie. Looks incredible in the trailers, bit of info on how they decided on Alberta:

https://calgary.citynews.ca/2021/11/...-ghostbusters/
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #3817
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've really been excited for Afterlife - I'm really disappointed that the reviews are all so bad. Maybe waiting so much longer than originally planned for it to come out has made expectations too high.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #3818
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I've really been excited for Afterlife - I'm really disappointed that the reviews are all so bad. Maybe waiting so much longer than originally planned for it to come out has made expectations too high.
Everyone I know who is a fan of the original 2 Ghostbusters, who have already seen Afterlife, have absolutely loved it. I think that the critics may be out to lunch on this one...though I have heard that this is made for the fans of the original 2, and not the critics.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #3819
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Everyone I know who is a fan of the original 2 Ghostbusters, who have already seen Afterlife, have absolutely loved it. I think that the critics may be out to lunch on this one...though I have heard that this is made for the fans of the original 2, and not the critics.
From the reviews it sounds like the movie relies too much on nostalgia and for some viewers that adore the originals that's enough for them but other audiences may not find enough to entertain them.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #3820
king_amonte
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can’t wait to see Ghostbusters tonight!!!
Lets Retire #10....not Roberts.....Amonte
king_amonte is offline   Reply With Quote